Youtube link from Safari opening native Youtube app.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bunraku

Hi.

When i am on Safari and googling something that brings up a youtube link, if i click on it, it opens the native youtube app. I can watch the video, but there is no back button to take me back to the safari webpage.

The only thing i can do is close the youtube app and have to restart safari. Is there a way to fix it so i can go to the youtube webpage instead of the app or is there another fix for this??

Thanx

kornchild2002

The app is opening up because the iPad cannot work with Flash videos. Hence any YouTube link will automatically take you to the YouTube app. Otherwise you would be taken to a page of videos that you would not be able to play through Safari. You don't need to close the YouTube app when you are done. Simply double-tap the Home button and then select Safari. That will switch you back to Safari without losing your progress in either app.

bunraku

Thanx for reply.

I have an Ipad 2 and don't know wether that makes a difference, but i can watch youtube videos on the youtube website. So i can watch flash videos with my Ipad.

But at least i know i can go back to Safari agai.

Sparkee

Sorry, but you can not watch flash video on any iOS device, it is not supported. Some video can be played through the Youtube web page through Safari but it is not in flash format. I'm not 100% sure why but I believe these videos are using the newer HTML5 standards to play back on the iOS devices.

AFMG

Ok, here's the thing. Most of the videos you watch on Youtube using Safari are HTML5 ready, that's why you can watch them. Youtube hasn't enabled all videos on this format, so probably the ones that still are in flash are opened in the other app. And yes, after watching the video, you must go back to Safari. There's not much that can be done about it, at least until YT has enabled HTML5 on all videos.

kornchild2002

Correct. A large portion of YouTube videos are still Flash only requiring iOS users to go through the YouTube app for viewing (which offloads the transcoding process to Google's servers). A number of YouTube videos have been changed to meet HTML 5 specifications. All they did was take the mpeg4- videos out of the Flash container, put them in the mpeg-4 container, and make sure that any audio in the video is in the AAC format. Those are videos that can be played back in Safari without issues. I find that most newer content is in both Flash and HTML 5 formats whereas the older videos, the ones Google has yet to transform over to HTML 5, are Flash only.