YOUR WINDOWS FORMATTED iPOD WILL WORK WITH A MAC

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mithra

NOT a mind reader
Are there any exceptions to this, or can ALL macs can read PC formatted stuff?

jrowett

i just plugged my girlfriend's Windows iPod Mini 4GB into my new iBook via USB, and the iBook didn't do anything at all. the "battery charging" icon appeared on the ipod, froze, so i unplugged and reset it.

what steps would you suggest i take next?

jrowett

ok, i feel i bit stupid now because i tried again last night and it worked perfectly (with USB)....thanks anyway!

JAGB

Hi
Having converted my Itunes to Mac from Windows, via my Ipod, you can imagine my swollen head, when two recent updates of my Itunes get copied down on to the Ipod okay. In addition, I finally get photo's copied onto the Ipod, now I really am a clever one !!

That is until getting my last update of Itunes ( one CD and 18 tracks) to update to my Ipod, when I find that the CD was copied over 3 times. Anyone found something similar and is it possible to get rid of these extra Cd copies.

Cheers for any help.

Peligro

yes it will work but....

I found that...yes the win formatted ipod works on the mac BUT i enjoy a mac formatted ipod better. That's just me. When i made the switch (just a few months ago) i researched this very question, No one ever told me that a mac ipod is better and has more usefullness.

Just wanted to toss that out there. ;)

LukeA

Website
luke.ament.googlepages.com
That is definitely true. A Windows formatted iPod can't have lower case letters in the name, has limited file naming ability, takes longer to mount on the desktop, and has a slower transfer rate. When I had Rockbox, the lack of HFS+ formatting became a deal-breaker for me.

Congrats on the switch.

JAGB,
Try using Senuti (google it) to find/delete anything on the iPod but not in iTunes.

Last edited:
Website
www.ilounge.com
Something else to keep in mind is that with the 5G iPod, most of the reported video and photo performance problems such as missing album artwork or improper video playback (other than the FirmWare v1.1 fiasco) have been from people loading Windows-formatted iPods from their Mac.

This doesn't seem to affect everybody, but in many cases switching to HFS+ (Mac format) solved the problem.

It's also important to note that you won't be able to use the iPod updater from a Mac (ie, to update your firmware) without reformatting it for HFS+. So if you intend to leave it Windows-formatted, you will need access to a Windows PC with the iPod updater in order to update it or restore it.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Yes, just to be clear, you can restore it to HFS+ from a Mac, which basically just reformats it to HFS+ format, removing all content in the process.

However, you won't be able to update it to a newer firmware unless it's already HFS+ formatted, which means that you would either have to find a Windows PC to run the updater, or run a restore, thereby erasing all of your content.

Teh_Crunch

I am new to mac's and Ipods so I have a few noobish questions. I started using my IPod video with my mac, now I attached it to my pc and I get the message

"this ipod needs to be fomatted for your on your pc click on the update button below to run the ipod updater application that will allow you to format or restore your ipod."

Big surprise, I know the answer is to format the Pod in FAT format but it sounds like I will lose a bit of functionality when I do this, and probably all of my music, vids and pics on the pod correct?

I browsed through the downloads sention and came across a trial version of Ipod Access. It still wanted to format the Pod when I connected it to my PC. =-\ So I went to the support page Here. I went throught holding down the buttons while connecting and all that jazz but it doesn't seem to bypass the format option.

I guess my question is now that I have started using the Pod with a MAC, I still want to use it with my PC's but I don't want to lose the superior MAC features. Do these third party appz like Anapod allow me to do this?

For reference - MAC - G3 / PC - XP / IPod - 30GB Video

mithra

NOT a mind reader
Teh_Crunch said:
Big surprise, I know the answer is to format the Pod in FAT format but it sounds like I will lose a bit of functionality when I do this, and probably all of my music, vids and pics on the pod correct?
Yes, when you perform a restore with the updater, whether or not you switch from Mac to Windows file system, all songs and other files are erased.
Teh_Crunch said:
I guess my question is now that I have started using the Pod with a MAC, I still want to use it with my PC's but I don't want to lose the superior MAC features. Do these third party appz like Anapod allow me to do this?
I don't have a Mac and I don't use third-party software, so I really can't answer this one. Here is one possible answer: http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=165225

Website
www.ilounge.com
Hi and welcome to iLounge.

The problem, of course, is the format of the iPod. iTunes doesn't really perform any special magic with the iPod -- it just writes to it as an external hard drive. This is pretty much the same thing that any iPod management software will do.

The easiest way to use your iPod on both platforms is to format it for FAT32 (ie, Windows), since Mac OS X can read/write FAT32 filesystems. Of course, since you're reformatting the iPod, you would lose any information on it (which isn't an issue if you're using automatic sync with iTunes, since it can be easily reloaded).

You won't lose a lot of day-to-day functionality by doing this, but you will have to find a Windows PC everytime you want to update your iPod, since the Mac iPod Updater will not update a Windows-formatted iPod.

Other issues to be aware of is that this configuration is not officially supported by Apple, and there have been reported problems with performance of album artwork display and video playback when putting information on from iTunes on a Mac.

The other option would be to get a software program that will read HFS+ filesystems on a Windows PC. A couple of common options in this area are MediaFour's MacDrive or DataViz MacOpener. These would allow your Windows computer to read a Mac-formatted iPod.

Note that this software would have to be installed on every Windows PC that you intend to use your iPod on, so this may not be a practical solution either.

Teh_Crunch

Thanks for the quick replies, pretty much reaffirms what I had suspected. I will check into those two appz and see if that is a route for me.

I would advise since I also have both Mac and Windows that the easiest solution would be to transfer back to the computer (Mac) all of the iPod contents and then format the iPod for windows. Then put the iPod on 'manually manage song' and transfer the songs back to the iPod from the Mac and you will be able to use it on both.

YamiPod is free and works on both windows and mac's. Also Senuti is free and for Mac's only but works well.
See #8 here for the links;
http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71349