Your Smart Playlist Ideas -- Post them Here

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ralliart122010

List 1: Match Any, Criteria 1 = Album is CWM, Criteria 2 = Album is Nightmare

List 2: Match Any, Criteria 1 = Album is WTF, Criteria 2 = Album is STST, Criteria 3 = Album is AS, Criteria 4 = Last Played is not in the last 7 days
Limit to 10 items selected by random
Select Live Updating

List 3: Match Any, Criteria 1 = Playlist is List 1, Criteria 2 = Playlist is List 2
Select Live Updating

List 3 is your goal. It will have all songs from the two albums you want permanently on the list plus 10 randomly selected songs from the other 3 albums that haven't been played in the last 7 days.
Hi Scoobz, if there's a "Limit to...selected by random" enforced on List 3, does it imply that songs from List 1 (& List 2) will no longer be guaranteed to be sync-ed to the iPod.

JollyBoy

Is there any way of selecting/limiting the amount of tracks that can feature by one artist in a smart playlist?

Say if i wanted to make a smart playlist of acoustic tracks featuring many artists, could i limit, say, Oasis, to no more than 5 tracks?

Ta!

tecweston

Is there any way of selecting/limiting the amount of tracks that can feature by one artist in a smart playlist?

Say if i wanted to make a smart playlist of acoustic tracks featuring many artists, could i limit, say, Oasis, to no more than 5 tracks?

Ta!
Yes, using nested playlists. I do a version of this, using playlists to make a 100-track smart playlists which has 24 5-star songs, 34 4-star songs, 20 songs recently added, etc. Each one has their own playlist which my main playlist pulls tracks from in a random order.

So just create your 5-track Oasis playlist, whatever other playlists you want to make, and then a main playlist with "playlist is Oasis," "playlist is Beatles," "playlist is Led Zeppelin," etc.

tecweston

P.S. If you want your iPod to live-update that playlist (using a "last played is not in the last x days" rule), you'll need to sync all the smaller playlists to your iPod as well as the main playlist, so the iPod knows where to pull tracks from. If you don't want the smaller playlists taking up room on the playlist menu, you can throw them in a folder. I put all mine in a folder called "XYZ" so it appears at the bottom of the screen, out of the way.

But if you don't care about live updating, then you can just sync the main playlist and be fine.

Code Monkey

P.S. If you want your iPod to live-update that playlist (using a "last played is not in the last x days" rule), you'll need to sync all the smaller playlists to your iPod as well as the main playlist, so the iPod knows where to pull tracks from. If you don't want the smaller playlists taking up room on the playlist menu, you can throw them in a folder. I put all mine in a folder called "XYZ" so it appears at the bottom of the screen, out of the way.

But if you don't care about live updating, then you can just sync the main playlist and be fine.
This is largely irrelevant. The only currently shipping iPod that has any sort of live updating to speak of is the classic. The 5G nano sort of worked, but no linking to another playlist nor use of the iTunes 9.X nested logic. Otherwise, it's 2008 and earlier clickwheel iPods. On all iOS devices and the 6G nano the only sort of smartlist that will live update is the useless kind.

tecweston

This is largely irrelevant. The only currently shipping iPod that has any sort of live updating to speak of is the classic. The 5G nano sort of worked, but no linking to another playlist nor use of the iTunes 9.X nested logic. Otherwise, it's 2008 and earlier clickwheel iPods. On all iOS devices and the 6G nano the only sort of smartlist that will live update is the useless kind.
I was not assuming the poster had a brand-new iPod. Thanks for sh*tting all over me trying to be helpful, though.

Code Monkey

I was not assuming the poster had a brand-new iPod. Thanks for sh*tting all over me trying to be helpful, though.
Last time I checked offering an accurate clarification to an unqualified statement of how smartlists worked in 2008 or earlier clickwheel iPods is hardly insulting if your intent was to be helpful - particularly when you just admitted to assuming what sort of iPod the poster had. At this point in time, your assumption was most likely wrong so I offered the complete answer since you didn't; that is all.

tecweston

Last time I checked offering an accurate clarification to an unqualified statement of how smartlists worked in 2008 or earlier clickwheel iPods is hardly insulting if your intent was to be helpful - particularly when you just admitted to assuming what sort of iPod the poster had. At this point in time, your assumption was most likely wrong so I offered the complete answer since you didn't; that is all.
Actually, I admitted that I was NOT assuming what kind of iPod they had, you were. All I was saying was that I was trying to help answer their question, and you came along and said "this is inaccurate!" It's really irritating.

Code Monkey

Actually, I admitted that I was NOT assuming what kind of iPod they had, you were.
To be accurate, you saying you were not assuming they had a newer iPod IS assuming they have an older iPod (if A & B cannot both be true and you answer A, that means !B and all that basic logic stuff).

People other than the person you conceived of your answer being aimed at are reading this thread. People who haven't even heard of iLounge today will wind up reading this thread sometime in the future. It is better to have complete, accurate information so as to avoid confusion.

All I was saying was that I was trying to help answer their question, and you came along and said "this is inaccurate!" It's really irritating.
Pretty much the very nature of internet communication since long before there were web forums and we did all this stuff on usenet. Someone says something, that prompts someone else to say something, that prompts two others to say something...

If you're taking that sort of dialog personally when it's not directly aimed at you, get some perspective...

ScoobZ

Hi Scoobz, if there's a "Limit to...selected by random" enforced on List 3, does it imply that songs from List 1 (& List 2) will no longer be guaranteed to be sync-ed to the iPod.
If the limit is set lower than the total number of songs that could be on the list then yes.

noiseboy

having just lost my 1st Gen Nano and currently losing my iPod Video to wear-and-tear, this severely bums me out. . . I'd wanted a new iPod touch & nano, but most of what I do involves nested logic and linking smart playlists. . .

ugh.

hendrickx

having just lost my 1st Gen Nano and currently losing my iPod Video to wear-and-tear, this severely bums me out. . . I'd wanted a new iPod touch & nano, but most of what I do involves nested logic and linking smart playlists. . .

ugh.
So get a classic. I love mine. Having said that, I'm old-school enough to regularly carry a personal phone, ipod, camera, laptop and work phone. I like that when one device breaks, everything else still works.

Tim3167

Hey Code Monkey!

I'm plugging along on my Classic 160 with a whole slew of nested live updating playlists resulting in a countdown playlist of 170 or so songs. I have been curious what your take on the ICloud storage is and what you think it points to for the future for users who live and die by these smart playlists and the metadata that drives them. Its not clear that Icloud has any smart playlist considerations.

My dream Ipod I think would allow me to customize the display so I can have an additional screen of metadata available on the ipod such as last played and playcount. I really worry about the eventual neeed to replace my 160 when the time comes. It's really a perfect device for me now and I love the rating display on the now playing screen. It saves me clicking into a track to check rating each time a new song comes up.

I really hope that Apple does not forget about smart playlists users going forward.

snash22

So is it true that live updating still does not work on iPhones? Is there a work around?

I have a 4s with iOS5.

hendrickx

So is it true that live updating still does not work on iPhones? Is there a work around?

I have a 4s with iOS5.
I can confirm live updating does not work on iOS. There is no work around. I'll update when you sync. Some playlists will update if you exit the music app completely and re-enter it, but nothing nested will update.

xavierh

I do use the code monkey system on my 30gb video iPod and I just play my music random in my car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mabiii

Help with smart list please

I am using ITunes 6 on a G-4 (insert how old computer jokes here)
I am playing around 2900 songs. I have liners and new songs I want to play more often that the old songs.

Here are the rules I need:
I want songs to play about once a week
and I want higher rated songs to play more often.

Thats it. I cannot find out a way to play higher rated songs more often on a smartlist. This is where you come in. Thanks for all your help.