xSkn-3 Full Review w/ Pictures

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

torchedlh

First off, I have to say. Lajo was nice enough to let me test one of these cases out. So, THANKS!

Anyway...

First Look
I recieved my asphalt xSkn-3 for my 15GB ipod last week. However, I was out of town until Sunday and just recently got a chance to play with it. When i got home, i was met with a little package marked "DHL". I immeidately knew it was the xSkn-3 i've been so eagarly awaiting. All the contents were packaged nicely in a small brown box. This included the following:
Maclear TPU Case
asphalt xSkn
iShade
belt clip

The first things I noticed was that the case was largely unchanged from the EXO. albeit I do not own a EXO, but one of my friends at school has an Ice, and i've spent much time playing with it. I noticed the same dock port opening at the bottom, the little loop on the left side, the same size openings for the headphone/remote port and hold button (still just as small as the EXO).

Fitment
My current was a DLO Jam Jacket, I will get more into that later. I immediately took off my Jam Jacket, and proceeded to put on the xSkn. I started with the ishade. It took me a little while to get it on perfectly centered (I'm a perfectionist when it comes to these types of things). I then slipped on the xSkn with no trouble at all through the screen opening. It slid on with ease and matched up very well with the menu buttons as well as the scrollwheel.

Testing
There was nothing left to do but try it out. I proceeded to access all the different menus and screens i could incorporating all the buttons. I was soon dissapointed. I found that some buttons like the "menu" and the "play/pause" button functioned *alright* while the "forward" and "backward" buttons didn't. When i say *alright*, I mean being able to get the buttons to register my touch with a firm well placed push. However, I cannot get the forward and backward buttons to work consistently. I notice that it takes a lot of force and wiggling of your finger to get it to recognize your touch.

And after 20 minute of fiddling with it, I was stil unable to get it recognize my touch of the "forward" button no matter what it tried. I was happy to see that the scrollwheel and center button worked FLAWLESSLY. I attribute this to the fact that the silicone there is thingger than that of the silicone that covers the menu button. Lastly, access to the hold button. It seems to be the same as the EXO. The button is deeply recessed inside and the opening around it is only as big as the button itself. I find it somewhat hard to access, I however, with hardly any fingernails at all (I'm an avid nail-biter) am able to deal. I honestly never use the hold button enough anyway to warrant a complaint here.

Part 2
Fast forward one day later, sitting infront of my computer right now, as I get my ipod out to make this review I begin to fiddle with the buttons again. I now found myself to be able to work each menu button with a precise and firm press to its center. I'm honestly not sure what caused the change...static electricity, fitment, break-in..etc?? I do not know, but I will definetely report back later with updates in this area.

Belt Clip
I cannot compare this clip to the clip of the EXO as I haven't seen the EXO's close up. I believe they are the same, but dont' take my word for it. The belt clip locks onto the case with great strength and will not let go until YOU want it to (you have to take a pen shaped object and press it down to open the latches that lock the case in). The material looks a little on the cheap side, but maybe okay. Lastly, the metal nubbin on the back can be unscrewed with a flat head screwdriver to leave just a small flat insert.

Miscellaneous
I was nicely surprised to find the the logos on the menu button's cover to be engraved deeper allowing the ipod's red LEDs to shine through. In the dark, although slightly blurred, the text/logos are very visible and easy to discern. Secondly, do you need reminding which button does what??

As you can see, the small loop on the left side of the case was kept. I believe Lajo is planning to come with some sort of handstrap? Anyway, unless it's something revovutionary, I think I will cut it off to clean up the look.

Lastly, I was slightly miffed when i found that the bottom dock port area was unchanged from the EXO. Although I understand iSkin and Lajo are now separated, the iSkin EXO 2's integrated port cover really caught my eye and made me think that the xSkn might incorporate the same thing. O well, not a big loss here, but would have been a nice touch.

Conclusion
Overall, I am very impressed overall with this case. The quality is superb (no unnecessarily large mold lines or fitment issues), it looks great, and functions surirpsingly well for a case that covers the buttons like so.

However, I'm sure the big question you all are going to ask is: Is this that much better over the EXO to warrant an upgrade? Well that's up to you. The only differences are the covering of the buttons and scrollwheels. My DLO Jam Jacket lacks these features and after about 3 months of use, i noticed that the front of my iPod is scuffed up pretty good due to particles entering the button areas and being trapped. So, if your goal is to keep your iPod virgin-clean, this might be your answer. However, this case doesn't keep your iPod completely covered from the outside elements. The back is still exposed due to the "heat-vent holes" in the back. I honestly don't think these are necesary and prefer if they were not there like the Jam Jacket, however I can see why they're there as Apple recommends air flow. I have yet to have my ipod get hotter than luke warm.

Ratings
Looks - 8/10 - It looks great excellent. Now you can have that black ipod you've always wanted! However, as can be seen in the pictures, this thing collects tons of dust just like it's predecessor the EXO and the DLO Jam Jacket.

Quality - 9/10 - Nothing to complain here. Fitment is great as well as overall consistency. The clip does look a little prone to failure being that clear plastic material, but I can't say as I haven't used it and dont' plan on using it in the future.

Function - 8/10 - Hold button access is still limited. Dock port is still exposed. Function of buttons are okay. Belt clip looks okay, but I have no need for it.

Overall - 9/10

Pictures:

Last edited:

dinojr

The "brownish" scroll wheel on the asphalt looks icky.
Is it just digital pics or does it look that obvious

GormetSilFwog

Hmm... That belt clip does NOT look good with the black...

I would probably paint it with nail polish or something... oh, I don't use those belt clips. What does it matter to me?

:D hehe.

Ps: I don't mean to brag but.. OMG I made the best batch of spagetti EVER!! Ugh.. I am in heaven.. *listens to iPod* .. oh.. there it is.. cloud 9..

jh-retired

Gotta admit... if I were in the market for another skin-case, I'd get iSkin's eXo2. It adds a heck of a lot more enhancements than Lajo's eXo2 does.

jh-retired

Yay! A full (standard?) size belt clip stub!

Who gets it for free? All eXo/eXo2/Xskn2 users? or just the new cases?

moppe

iPodmaniac
Lajo.
Please check your mail. It been a couple of days since I send an idea to you and I wonder If you like it?