Wrong format for my iPod HDD…

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jenare

Website
jenare.com
Hello !

After a Hard drive problem with my 4th gen iPod, I've decided to buy another one. It's a 30Gb Toshiba Hard Drive, which was used but was supposed to work perfectly. It does not have the Apple logo on it but I don't think that it is a problem.

The only problem is that the hard drive is not formatted like it should be… I think that the iPod can detect it only if it is formatted in Fat32 or maybe HFS, but the seller told me that it was formatted in xubuntu.

The iPod don't detect the hard drive, and stays on the Apple logo. I can't hear a noise from the HDD and it's impossible to get into Disk Mode. I've tried with Windows and Mac OS, and the computer can't see it…

I hope you can help me ! :)

Thanks !

kornchild2002

You will need to buy an enclosure/adapter for the hard drive, hook it up to a PC, and reformat it there. Also, if you use Windows, you will probably have to download a formatting tool as Microsoft stopped supporting the formatting of drives (over a certain capacity) using the FAT32 file system under Windows Vista, 7, 8/8.1, and 10. I forget what the capacity is but I believe it's 32GB and larger. Then again, I plugged a 16GB thumb drive into my Surface 3 today (it's running Windows 10) and I could only format it using exFAT and NTFS.

Mac OS X can format drives up to 2TB in size using FAT32.

jenare

Website
jenare.com
Somebody just told me that even in xubuntu, the iPod would be able to detect it… So, what do you think of this ? Does the problem come from my iPod ? Because the disk is really not detected

cjmnews

Staff member
They are wrong. iPods only detect Fat32 or HFS.

From what I remember of iPod drive formatting, you cannot use Windows Explorer to format the drive. There is an HP USB Tool for formatting Fat32 that should work.

jenare

Website
jenare.com
Good news, that means that it's normal if my iPod does not recognise it.
Reformat the disk is not really a problem, I suppose that I can use disk utility on Mac OS X. The problem is : If the iPod can't recognise the drive, how can I plug it to my computer ?

kornchild2002

That's why I said that you'll need an enclosure, or a ZIF (I can't remember if that is the connector on the hard drive) to USB cable. You'll need to buy something so that you can physically hook the hard drive itself up to whatever PC you are using. Do a little Googling on what connector the hard drive uses and for a cradle, enclosure, or cable that allows you to hook it up to your PC via USB.

jenare

Website
jenare.com
Thank you, I will look for this ! On this generation, it's a 50 pins ATA connector.
I also have this one that the seller gave to me, I think it's a ZIF connector. Maybe I could find a ZIF to USB connector ? What do you think ?

Thanks !

Attachments

kornchild2002

Yes, either a ZIF to USB cable or an enclosure with a ZIF connector. Unfortunately they are kind of a niche product now as the iPod classic hasn't been relevant for the last ~6 years. However, that should mean that costs are low.

jenare

Website
jenare.com
So, I've received today the adapter. I plugged the disk and the computer detects it. I could reformat it in Fat32 or in HFS+. But little problem… The iPod still don't detect it ! It stays stuck on the Apple logo, and I can't hear a noise from the hard drive…

I really don't know what to do…

jenare

Website
jenare.com
Absolutely not sure, and it scares me a bit... But when I bought the iPod, there was an problem with the hard drive, which made a strange noise, and I had the Sad iPod logo. Since this moment, I've been trying multiple CF cards (like I've explained in an other topic in the forum) and now, the hard drive…
Maybe the cable ? How to know if it is damaged ?

I have a little idea, but really not sure.. I've seen on the internet that the iPod could get into disk mode only with charged battery. When I try to charge it with my computer or power adapter, and that I try to reset it (Menu + select buttons) it shows me the low battery logo (even if I can use it when it's unplugged).
I've seen also that the battery has 701 cycles.
Maybe I could get it into disk mode if I change the battery ? What do you think ?

skins247

Well, from memory it sounds like you have some $$$ tied up in this, unless you've returned some items....If it were me, I would take a "known working hard drive".....which in my case would simply be from another one I have.....and test the board....you would have to buy a "fully functional" iPod to do the same.....even though you would have the initial cost, you could....

A) Finally have an answer....

B) Sell anything you don't use (whatever is working) LCD/CLICK/HEADPHONE Jack etc... after you have your answer....

While you're still messing with it....If you do get it into "disk mode"..... leave it plugged into the outlet for a while (like at least an hour), before connecting to the computer....it will actually charge while its in disk mode , with the large "check mark" showing on the screen.....

Just my thoughts, everyone has their own ideas.....

jenare

Website
jenare.com
Would a iPod Mini microdrive work ?
Otherwise, I will receive a 2nd gen iPod in about a week. I know that this is the same hard drive, I could test. But I'm sure that my drive works because it makes a noise when I plug it to my computer and I was able to format it. Do you know if I could plug a 2nd gen hard drive cable on the 4th gen ? Just to know if it comes from the cable or the motherboard…

About the battery, I plugged it all the night to charge it and when I try to reset it, I still have the "low battery" logo, but not when it's unplugged... Strange.. I already have a new battery, I'll try to install it !

Thanks !

skins247

Wrong format

The cables are not interchangeable....I did at one time hook up a "mini" micro drive to the 4th gen cable (attached to a 4th Gen) after removing the little black tap, which I had to remove anyway for the IDE to CF adapter...long story short, it didn't work as a straight shot and didn't have the desire to see if it would with the adapter.....anyhow cable connections to the board are different....

Attachments

DR650SE

Get a Tarken adapter, and use an SD card as the HDD. Google Tarken iPod. You can get 128GB SD cards fairly cheap now days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jenare

Website
jenare.com
So, I'm still on the same situation : The hard can't start (I can't hear a noise) and the iPod only shows the Apple logo…
-The Hard drive cable has been changed.
-The Hard Drive turns on when it's connected to my computer with the adapter, and formatted to HFS+ or FAT32.
-The battery has been changed (and I still have the low battery logo when I reset the iPod while charging -attached image-)

So… nothing more to do I guess… There may be a problem with the motherboard. I have another hard drive to try with my 2nd gen iPod, but it's in good shape so I don't really want to open it… I don't know why it would work with its disk if it does not with mine… Any solution ? Otherwise, I will probably buy a nonworking iPod and use the parts, and then sell the rest.

Get a Tarken adapter, and use an SD card as the HDD. Google Tarken iPod. You can get 128GB SD cards fairly cheap now days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
I had to many with CF cards, and to much spent money :p

Attachments

cjmnews

Staff member
That symbol means the battery is too low to do anything but charge.

Let it charge for 40 minutes or more. Then look for hard drive activity after the symbol is gone.

jenare

Website
jenare.com
That's what I've seen ! The problem is that even after charging for a night (on computer or with a power adapter) I still have this logo… I've tried with several cables. And the battery is new. So it's a bit strange…

cjmnews

Staff member
Then there is something wrong with the port on the iPod, the charging system, or the battery.

More work needs to be done to get sufficient power to run the hard drive.