Writing iTunes Song/Artist/Album to ID3 tag?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

upaya

i spend hours correcting all the incorrect album artist and song names in itunes but 'the beast' doesnt write any of the info to the song itself?

i first ran my collection through ieatbrainz - to find the anonymous data (but that doesnt change the tag just how itunes sees the song)

i have also ran it through MPFreaker for all the album covers and lyrics

now i need to make sure something permanently writes this info to the metadata of the file itself.

also, i use iratings to put stuff like play count and rating into the comments section of the file (great prog). The Filter& Tunebar are sweet progs too.

a premature thanks to anyone who can help -

Essin

What you are saying is that if you add the song to another iTunes all information is lost and Title/Artist/Album will be blank? Is that correct?

upaya

what i'm trying to say is...

when you change the song or album info on the itunes interface (correcting the ID3 tag info) there doesnt seem to be a way to write that information to the song itself. all corrections i make are itunes dependent. i want the same artist/album/song info to be there no matter what audio player i use

basically i have an archos 504 160gb poratble mp3 player and non of the itunes info is displayed - only the original ID3 trash.

if only 'consolidate' function performed this for me. :(

cheers,
jak

Essin

upaya said:
when you change the song or album info on the itunes interface (correcting the ID3 tag info) there doesnt seem to be a way to write that information to the song itself.
It gets written to the tags when you click OK. Or do you get an error message? Is the file locked? You should also the see the Date Changed info change.

lynt

Sorry to bump an older post, however Google led me here out of sheer desperation. I'm also having the problem of iTunes not actually writing any ID3 tags to my MP3's.

My MP3's live on a portable drive, and I sync maybe once a week, however if I remove my songs from the iTunes library, and add them back again, the ID3 data isn't retained.

I double checked this with MP3 IDX as recommended by Apple, and can confirm that iTunes doesn't write any ID3 data to the files.

My process is - updating the info on the file in iTunes, then using "Convert ID3 Tags", which appears to process all the files in my library, yet most files don't have their ID3 tags updated.

Any help or leads would be much appreciated.

S2_Mac

P'bly need more info from you.... Like, if you're using a Mac but your external drive is formatted for NTFS, the Mac won't write changes to disk. Or maybe you're using Windows and another media player ::koff koff:: is un-doing your changes.

With no other media mangling -- er, wrangling <g> -- apps running, try changing the Comment field for a single track -- enter some text, click OK to dismiss the Info box; then, with that same track selected in iTunes' display, hit Control-R (Cmd-R on Mac) -- has the file's Last Modified date changed to today?

Why are you converting ID3 tags? There's no need (nor purpose, really) to do so in the normal course of events.

Skeeve42

Or maybe your iTunes is managing your files meaning:
1) You add the file ~/mysong.mp3 to iTunes
2) You change ID3 information in iTunes
3) You check ID3 information in ~/mysong.mp3
4) You notice no change
what you missed here is
1a) iTunes copies the file to <iTunes Library Path>/Artist/Album/CDnum-Tracknum Title.mp3
and
5) check the file created under 1a)

Yes... Maybe a stupid assumption. But have you seen how many switchers (Aka. former WinDOS users) complain about iTunes copying their files destroying their carefully crafted folder hierarchy?

lynt

Hi guys,

Sorry, here's a little more clarification:

I'm using a Mac.
My portable USB drive is formatted as FAT32.
I don't allow iTunes to manage my files, I manage them manually.
I don't use any other player with these files as I use iTunes to sync these files to my iPod & iPhone.

Ultimately, my files are all in the one place, not managed by iTunes, on a portable FAT32 formatted USB drive, that won't have their ID3 tags updated.

Update: I can confirm, that files manually managed living on my Mac's own HDD, *do* get their ID3 tags updated. It looks like something to do with the portable drive perhaps?

Any help?

Last edited:

bri-bri

Tags don't stick bug here too...

I've been having the same issue and its driving me crazy! According to scattered messages at discussions.apple.com itunes forum, other people are seeing the same thing.

I manage my mp3s manually, they exist on a shared network drive formatted as hfs+ and sitting on the firewire port of another mac (i have full r/w access). I often will create a temporary itunes library file tobwork on tagging, adding art, etc... on lots of new files, downloads, rips etc.. then delete that temp itunes folder to start again.

The symptom is... new blank itunes folder. drag mp3 files to the library window of itunes. it reads them in (not copies). i make changes, embed album art and so on. now quit itunes. delete itunes folder. restart itunes which makes a new blank itunes library. drag the same (supposedly now edited) mp3s into itunes. they are back with no tags again... OR if I had corrected incorrect tags the incorrect ones are back.

one weird thing i noticed though is that the embedded artwork remains.

I think this is a conflict between version 1.x tags and version 2.x tags in the latest version or 2 of iTunes... I didnt have the problem until sometime this fall.

I DID try to update tags to latest (2.4) first and it has no effect.

BUT... one thing that SEEMS to fix this problem (i have to test more to make sure), is to on any new mp3s, first update tags in iTunes to NONE. THEN make changes and add artwork... it seems once you start adding tags it creates a v2.3 set for you (why not the latest 2.4 i dunno). Now things seem to work.... so, after deleting ALL tags and starting from scratch they seem to stick from that point on.

I'd also appreciate any other info or people's experiences.

bri-bri

Well, I'm about to waste.. .i mean spend some time here to see if the new iTunes 7.6 fixed this issue... I'm not feeling too hopeful given that almost every update to iTunes for a long time has been focused on buying stuff (now renting stuff)... so much so that it seems that actual music playing and library functions are a side effect! ;-)

Anyway.. has anyone else tried this out yet? I'll report back here after i test the tagging features on some tracks.

bri-bri

Still broke. This is seriously messed up. It was the same issue in 7.5 and is now obviously present in 7.6. I would guess that many people don't see it because they never do anything with their mp3s after they are in the library, or if they make tag changes they never have to reimport the files. Or they don't care.

I've spent a LOT of time over the past 6 months cleaning up tags, adding details, adding artwork and ripping CDs and now have about 500gigs of tunes in my library. The symptom is the same.. after I've changed or added tags they look fine. If I then bring them into itunes on another mac (this is a shared drive) the edited tags all disappear and revert to either what they were before my edits, or disappear completely. Interestingly (maybe a hint as to whats happening) if I embedded artwork in the file, IT stays, but other tags revert/disappear.

What is the deal here? I can't really see any pattern, some mp3s were downloaded, some were ripped by me, some are CBR others VBR. I have full read/write permissions. MOST of the time I can edit tags and it sticks. its about 10-15% of them that have problems. I've also tried changing the tag to NONE to remove it and then create a new one but that doesnt consistently fix things either. Its either a conflict between the iTunes database and the embedded tags as someone has suggested (it writes changes to the database but doenst change the embedded ID3 and there's no way to tell) or perhaps a conflict between different ID3 versions.

I'd like to hear how other people have got around this... Looks like I've got about 15% of six months of on again off again work down the drain since the tags don't exist in the files (or they're corrupt now).

Tosk

Confirmed and Solution

I can confirm that this problem STILL exists in iTunes for Windows 7.6.

However, I can also confirm a previously mentioned workaround for this problem.

As it's been mentioned, you need to set your entire library to ID3v2.3. Once this is done, any added files from now on will be added with ID3v2.3 which appears to be the only ID3 implementation working in iTunes. Now, you're probably wondering: how do I fix all my MP3s in iTunes?

I'm assuming that there's a difference in the tag information between your iTunes library and your actual MP3 collection (The information in iTunes is different than that in your files and you can't change it with iTunes).

To synchronize your iTunes library with the tags in your files, select ALL of your music in iTunes and right-click, going to Get Info. Go down to the Comment section and put in anything. I put in the number one (1). Then click OK. This will forcibly rewrite ALL the Comments sections in ALL your MP3s However, once finished, you can remove the comment if you wish. Consequently, this will force iTunes to rewrite the ID3v2.3 tags for all your MP3s with the tag information it currently has in the library. Once this is completed, you should be able to edit your library at will and iTunes will correctly write the ID3v2.3 tags to the files when you close the Information dialog.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 with iTunes for Windows 7.6. My library is 17.65 GB large. I've tested the above on my library and it worked. YMMV.

-- Tosk

giovanni_fg

Thank you so much!

Tosk, you're great, thanks a lot! I've been dealing with the problem for months! How did you find out about this effective solution?

Last edited:

xstalkrx

Ok so when I change the name of the mp3 file on my computer... how do I get it to automatically make that change in itunes?

I tried the 1 in the comments section but I don't see the benefit of it? Please help a n00b out.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
This thread is about making changes to the tags of mp3's (think of tags as properties like song, artist, album names, etc.) Tags are embedded as part of the file and have nothing to do with file names. Although you can use descriptive file names to describe the song, iTunes does not operate that way. In fact, you must not make any changes to a file name once you add it to iTunes. That is because iTunes is a database that cross references file names to a library of information about your music. If you change the file name, you break the link that iTunes uses to know where to find the file.

Never re-name or move files when using iTunes -- it can't handle it, and it doesn't need to because the whole premise is to relieve you of the file naming and file management duties.

xstalkrx

This thread is about making changes to the tags of mp3's (think of tags as properties like song, artist, album names, etc.) Tags are embedded as part of the file and have nothing to do with file names. Although you can use descriptive file names to describe the song, iTunes does not operate that way. In fact, you must not make any changes to a file name once you add it to iTunes. That is because iTunes is a database that cross references file names to a library of information about your music. If you change the file name, you break the link that iTunes uses to know where to find the file.

Never re-name or move files when using iTunes -- it can't handle it, and it doesn't need to because the whole premise is to relieve you of the file naming and file management duties.
yes i know itunes will flip out if i change the file name but i would just like both my file names and itunes database to be clean, simple and identical.

S2_Mac

i would just like both my file names and itunes database to be clean, simple and identical.

Then you should let iTunes manage your music files. The folder structure for your files will then be:
iTunes Media/ArtistName/AlbumName/Track#1Name, Track#2Name, Track#3Name, etc.

File names will match tags as closely as possible (obviously, characters which are "illegal" for the Windows file system will be changed to "safe" characters). Using iTunes to change a tag -- such as correcting a misspelling of "Okay Go" to "OK Go" -- will be immediately applied to that file on the hard drive. Changing an album or artist tag will immediately change the folder structure to match the new tag info. Letting iTunes manage your music files also makes the process of moving iTunes to another computer fairly painless; imposing your own folder structure is pretty much destined to fail.

To let iTunes manage your music files, open up iTunes Preferences. Click on the Advanced tab, and put checkmarks in the boxes for "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" and "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and click the OK button; done. If your music is currently scattered across your hard drive -- that is, you've got files that aren't located in your designated "iTunes Media" folder -- post again for simple instructions on how to "consolidate" your music files.

gillly58

Really confused

Hi folks. Forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place, I'm new to this particular forum.

My PC (Win Vista Home Premium SP2) runs twin HDD's. My music is located in D:\Music, and normally Itunes is happy with this.

I've recently got an INXS album (Original Sin). When I imported the CD, I wanted to put it into D:\Music\INXS\Original Sin.

What Itunes has done, however, is to place each separate track into it's own sub-folder - so at the INXS folder level, I have "Full Moon, Dirty Hearts", "Listen Like Thieves", etc, but at the end of the sub folders for INXS, it jumps back up one folder level, and I get sub folders named INXS Feat. Andrew Farris. Inside that is a sub folder titled "Original Sin", and inside that is the track which Andrew Farris did with INXS. I've not had this problem before.

So I tried creating a folder in the right place and copying the tracks to that folder, and then adding the folder to my library - File Menu, Add Folder to Library. It didn't do anything. So I tried to drag the folder into the Music folder in Itunes. Nothing happened.

Running Itunes 10.1.1.4. Any ideas or suggestions?:confused:

Thanks very much in anticipation!

harryevan

Okay, having read all of that, I try to keep my library organized: Artist/Album/Song and iTunes doesn't want to play nicely when I want to add "new" wav files in that format. It will allow me to edit the "info", but all it brings in is the fie name. When I convert them to mp3's, it will stick them in folders under the designated iTunes folder, but if I haven't added artist, album and track number to the wave file first (in iTunes), everything gets written to ...Itunes/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album folder with the same name as the wav file.

Now then, how can I add the Artist name and Album name, in a batch, from the artist/album folder names to the info chunk of the wav files so they are already there when I import the wav files to iTunes?

Thanks

harryevan