Wireless Headphones for motorcycle

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MOLINAadgroup

Website
www.MOLINAadgroup.com
:)
I love MY music.
I love MY motorcycle.
I love MY iPod.
I love MY AirClick.

I hate wires.
I hate my headphones.

I want to ride, listening to MY music and using MY AirClick w/out wires.

Any suggestions? Please advise. Much Appreciated. - The Mole

Budderfly

Hi to all. I just read the Question about wireless Headphones. Yes, Yes, finally. Logitech Wireless Headphones Bluetooth. Headphone is behind the head style. And all the controls to control ipod are on the right ear. The adapter goes on the top of the ipod mini not sure if it works with any other model. but anyway just plug in to top of ipod.Hold down center button on middle of right ear until it turns blue. then do the same with adapter. both blue ready to go. Easy set up. Volume range not great. And not great bass. And I really don't have a great ear for music. About $150.00. But it's wireless. Best thing around. Not to bulky. Headphones not ajustable. Very clear sound.Hope this helps. Good luck. Yes I agree that they might not work with FM transmitter. Because wireless adapter uses same conector as the transmitter

Last edited:

Skywalkers

Guys,
I saw the iM402 in Apple Web that may be good for motorbikers. It is wireless ear bugs:)
Did anybody try that? I want to hear some comment before I buy.

MOLINAadgroup

Website
www.MOLINAadgroup.com
Hey D Ko, Maybe in Wisconsin. You do not know what you are talking about. Pay attention because writing without actually knowing something doesn't make you look very smart.

FLORIDA LAWS
GOVERNING MOTORCYCLE AND MOPED OPERATION
CHAPTER 316, STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL
CHAPTER 320, MOTOR VEHICLE LICENSES AND
CHAPTER 322, DRIVER’S LICENSES

316.304 Wearing of headsets.
1. No person shall operate a vehicle while wearing a headset, headphones or other listening devices other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing.
2. This section does not apply to:
c. Any person operating a motorcycle who is using a headset that is installed in a helmet and worn so as to prevent the speakers from making direct contact with the user’s ears so that the user can hear surrounding sounds.
d. Any person using a headset in conjunction with a cellular telephone that only provides sound through one ear and allows surrounding sounds to be heard with the other ear.
e. Any person using a headset in conjunction with communicating with the central base operation that only provides sound through one ear and allows surrounding sounds to be heard with the other ear.

Consider yourself schooled!

wytwolf

Ok since your asking about headphones your not talking about any helmet speakers. Also what cordless headphones are there that don't touch the ears??

FeelTheFire

He's right- wireless headphones that are not integrated into the helmet DO NOT meet the definition of florida legal standard. Since they have to touch the outer ear in order to stay on, and can't be installed into a helmet, wireless headphones are in fact highly illegal. It's for everyone's safety, not just yours.

muzach

Molina,
I too am a motorcyclist ('99 BMW R1100S) and have had many problems over the years with headphone issues. I currently just use my etymotic er-6i's, but I'll only use them on the highway. I've found that most headphones don't provide enough insulation from windnoise, so in-ear is about the only way to go, unless you're riding a huge faired bike like a Goldwing or something.

Sure it's illegal in a lot of states, but so's rolling through a stop sign or going over 55mph on an Illinois state highway. In highway riding conditions, you'll perceive danger with your eyes, not with your ears, simply because of the incredible wind noise.

So, while I agree that riding a motorcycle with headphones on isn't the safest thing a person could do, I really don't think wearing headphones on the highway makes motorcycling anymore dangerous than what's inherent in the sport.

BTW, FeelTheFire & D Ko, what exactly is the difference between "highly" illegal and "a little" illegal or just plain vanilla "illegal?" I didn't see any wording in the statute that described wearing headphones as "highly" illegal, so let's quit playing word games and call things like they are. I'm sure that both of you have attained a speed in an automobile that far exceeds the posted legal limit and is a longshot from what anyone would call "safe." That statue is a safety regulation, just like the speed limit, and who's to say which causes more accidents. But, I for one doubt that there's ever been a single automobile passenger or driver killed by a motorcyclist wearing headphones. Those are just my two cents from 10 years on 2 wheels.

Regardless, I don't recommend using headphones at all for in-town riding. It's too distracting, and you're just not aware of what's going on around you.

I've contemplated various Bluetooth solutions in the past few months, but I haven't found any that are satisfying. BMW Motorcycles offers a Bluetooth motorcycle helmet in Europe with Bluetooth 1.2 that's compatible with a lot of phones and supposedly has an adapter for mp3 players, though I've yet to see one in person. Schuberth helmets also has a Bluetooth helmet coming out (again maybe only in Europe) that's similar to the BMW. You can get a hold of the BMW helmet here in the States for about $600 through a UK dealer that's willing to work with you on it. I've been contemplating one myself.
I've yet to find a good review of either one to justify dropping that amount of money on a lid, though.

MOLINAadgroup

Website
www.MOLINAadgroup.com
Thanks muzach,

Great perspective. I appreciate it and now know that I am not alone on thinking about this.

What I was hoping was to install the headphones into the helmet although the risk of not being loud enough because of the wind noise would be a factor. I almost would have to try them out first. I just want my music and no darn wires flip flopping around as well as it's a mission when I park the bike and I am taking my helmet off with disconnecting etc...

I am sure this solution will come out in the next few months with competing companies putting out new types of headphones.

Thanks again for your response.

FeelTheFire

muzach said:
Molina,
I too am a motorcyclist ('99 BMW R1100S) and have had many problems over the years with headphone issues. I currently just use my etymotic er-6i's, but I'll only use them on the highway. I've found that most headphones don't provide enough insulation from windnoise, so in-ear is about the only way to go, unless you're riding a huge faired bike like a Goldwing or something.

Sure it's illegal in a lot of states, but so's rolling through a stop sign or going over 55mph on an Illinois state highway. In highway riding conditions, you'll perceive danger with your eyes, not with your ears, simply because of the incredible wind noise.

So, while I agree that riding a motorcycle with headphones on isn't the safest thing a person could do, I really don't think wearing headphones on the highway makes motorcycling anymore dangerous than what's inherent in the sport.

BTW, FeelTheFire & D Ko, what exactly is the difference between "highly" illegal and "a little" illegal or just plain vanilla "illegal?" I didn't see any wording in the statute that described wearing headphones as "highly" illegal, so let's quit playing word games and call things like they are. I'm sure that both of you have attained a speed in an automobile that far exceeds the posted legal limit and is a longshot from what anyone would call "safe." That statue is a safety regulation, just like the speed limit, and who's to say which causes more accidents. But, I for one doubt that there's ever been a single automobile passenger or driver killed by a motorcyclist wearing headphones. Those are just my two cents from 10 years on 2 wheels.

Regardless, I don't recommend using headphones at all for in-town riding. It's too distracting, and you're just not aware of what's going on around you.

I've contemplated various Bluetooth solutions in the past few months, but I haven't found any that are satisfying. BMW Motorcycles offers a Bluetooth motorcycle helmet in Europe with Bluetooth 1.2 that's compatible with a lot of phones and supposedly has an adapter for mp3 players, though I've yet to see one in person. Schuberth helmets also has a Bluetooth helmet coming out (again maybe only in Europe) that's similar to the BMW. You can get a hold of the BMW helmet here in the States for about $600 through a UK dealer that's willing to work with you on it. I've been contemplating one myself.
I've yet to find a good review of either one to justify dropping that amount of money on a lid, though.
I don't consider things that don't really harm others to be "highly" illegal. However- isolating yourself from outside noise can potentially harm you or other people, and I think it's selfish to do something like that because you want to listen to music. You are not always traveling at highway speed, and judging from what the original poster said here, it doesn't sound like he's planning to bother to remove his headphones if he isn't.

If you run a stop sign, whatever, I don't care, that's just illegal. But if you tune out road sounds while driving- I consider that highly illegal. I was recently in a highway crash with someone who had one earphone in, and was fiddling with his cell phone's MP3 player when he clipped the rear of my car and spun me into the path of a tractor trailer. About half of the rear of my car was shorn off by the tractor trailer. So yeah, I consider it highly illegal. I left with only some broken ribs from my seatbelt and a nasty gash on my shoulder from a piece of loose metal, but it could have been a lot worse.

I don't see why, if I can't do it while driving a car, you can do it while riding a motorcycle.

And actually, the highest I've ever gone over the legal limit outside of a racetrack was ten miles over. I'm sure you could drive on any major highway and find people doing twice that, and while it's not safe, it's not completely unsafe either.

It's not that drivers should be worried about motorcyclists killing THEM- it's that drivers are worried about potentially killing a motorcyclist who wasn't paying attention.

muzach

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, FeelTheFire. That's a horrible thing to go through. It's bad drivers and riders that cause accidents. Of all the states in this country that I'm aware of, I think that anyone, operating car or motorcycle, is allowed to do exactly what the rider that caused your accident was doing: riding with ONE earphone while talking on the phone.

I'm glad that you're okay. Although, I still don't think that "highly" illegal means much of anything. Let's all be careful out there!

thundergroove

lounge lizard
Website
flatscreens.freepay.com
i have used in-helmet headphones and in-ear. I haven't had problems with cords though. I either keep the ipod in my jacket and tuck the cord inside or I just run a cord to my tankbag.

the cord for my communicator runs down my sleeve and to my handlebars and can get snagged if I try to walk away from my bike without unplugging though.

muzach

Sweet logo, thundergroove. I do something similar with my cord, keeping it my jacket pocket and running it inside the jacket. While it's a bit of a hassle to get situated, I've also used my apple wired remote and my headphones to run the wire through the bottom of the jacket to my tank bag, where I clip the remote, and then run the headphone cord back up through the bottom of my jacket. Again, it's a hassle and a bit of a pain when getting on and off the bike.

whatsthtagain

Cord flop is a problem with most electronics
I want a Bluetooth heated vest

Most all headset sold for motorcycling use are technically illeagal
You would have to be pretty far down the food chain to have a legal penalty, and
If you are depending on sound to save you, you are in deep weeds. (as in "Loud brakes save lives")
I have not noted any problems with hearing sirens, and try to be enviromentally aware enough to visually pick up on threats less than
60dB in magnitude.

I think that to get music over wind noise you are going to have to push 100dB pretty early and that is unkind to the old Organ of Corti

archurban

ipod adviser
Website
web.mac.com
well, don't you know it is illegal during riding motorbike? even driving a car with listening to headphone is the same.

sooner or later law will be passed against calling someone with cellphone during driving. it's very dangerous.

Earache

I've used my Autocom system for tunes, but the sound levels have to be very high in order to hear anything when riding over 65 mph. It just isn't a very effective system despite it's high cost.

I plan on getting custom molded earpihones to use with the iPod to see if that's any better. As I live in Indianapolis, there are several companies locally that specialize in Indy car communication systems. I psoke with one of them and they said that they could set up a system allowing me to hear.

We'll see...

kman1666

Website
lookatthemonkeys.com
The only thing that is close to the "illegal" and "highly illegal" debate is the difference between mala en se and mala prohibita. Mala en se crimes are crimes that are universally evil such as murder, etc. Mala prohibita are crimes that are only illegal because we have condoned them. From a law point of view that is the only difference , and driving with headphones is not an evil action. Plus, as a motorcycle rider you can not hear jack with going over 50mph anyways.