Windows Utility to Split .m4b Files?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jaydee

Anyone know of a Windows utility that can split AAC files in M4B format without converting to another format, splitting & re-encoding the pieces?

I have a 3G iPod, so I don't have the 4G mono file lockup problem, but I do have problems with a few very large M4B audiobooks (>150 MB) that frequently halt playback and lose the bookmark, forcing me to scrub back to the previous listening point. I don't seem to have problems with "small" M4B files (under 100 MB or so). I seem to remember Parannoya stating that under 75 MB is safe.

All my "homemade" audiobooks in M4B format are encoded at low bitrates (slightly larger than Audible Format 3), but a few are very long, hence the large file sizes. Because of the low bitrate, if I convert to another format (huge WAV or MP3), split that file, then re-encode the pieces to M4B, the sound quality is terrible -- almost unlistenable. And I shudder at the thought of re-ripping 15-25 CDs per offending audiobook.

Thanks to anyone with some good advice to offer.

Last edited:

jaydee

Thanks for the advice -- I'll give Audacity a look and see if they have a suitable codec for AAC.

goocy

A more elegant solution (without recoding) is mp4box (google it) - or, the more user-friendly GUI version called YAMB. It splits a 21h audiobook in about 5 minutes.
A similar tool (for converting or removing audio chapters) is mp4chaps.

Sorry for digging out an ancient thread, but it's still a #1 hit on google. And there is a lot of bad (for slow or costly software) advice on audiobooks out there.