Windows Charging...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Losimagic

Website
losimagic.net
i use my windows 30gb ipod on my SB Live Platinum firewire port, and amazingly, not only does it work :D (although others have problems with that setup) but it also charges :)

c.c.r.

Aye, this is false.

The firewire cable itself has no idea what OS you're running. Charging via computer is, thankfully, not Mac-only.

doboy

Actually, according to someone, Apple tech told him that the 6-pin PCMCIA pc card firwire (for laptops) does not power the iPod, even with the AC attached to the card.

SFNE Freak

Mmm...videos
Website
sfne.com
doboy said:
Actually, according to someone, Apple tech told him that the 6-pin PCMCIA pc card firwire (for laptops) does not power the iPod, even with the AC attached to the card.
Figures that's my exact situation. :(

Casual

MOST firewire cards will charge your iPod when connected. There are some that dont, for example there is a firewire port or 2 on my ATI All in wonder 8500 pro dv. It will not be powered unless you have the special floppy power source plugged in. I have seen this happen with other cards also. Be careful

mongoos150

SFNE Freak said:
I think I've heard that the iPod won't charge on a 6 pin Firewire on a Windows machine, only Macs. Is this true?
Wherever you heard this is a bad source! No, the iPod charges on any 6 pin firewire card, regardless of computer make.

slowrey

Website
mmsean.com
Mongoos

Now don't be giving bad information. :)

Not all 6pin connections provide the proper power to charge the IPOD or any external source that requires a powered bus.

Most, if not 99% of all desktops that have a 6 pin firewire interface will provide power to the bus for external harddrives and IPODS.

Laptop PCMCIA cards are a different story. The cardbus architecture will not power all external firewire devices. Some will some won't, but it really depends on the output voltage etc.

Example: I have a PCMCIA harddrive that doesn't need a power adapter

My IPOD is a 6pin connection to a 6pin PCMCIA firewire card but though it's 6pin still requires a AC adapter for charging.

Hope this helps everyone.

wilfredt

And that's why I used an external charged 1394 hubs for charging my iPod. My VAIO notebook(which got iLink, i.e. 4pin port) connects to Ipod through the hub.

jaybert

yup, mine definately charges.

The reason why they say that only macs charge is because the ipods will always charge on the macs.

WHere as for windows, with so many different manufacturers of parts, some of them are not truely 1394 compliant and cannot draw enough power (whether it is a flaw in the motherboard or the firewire card) to charge it.

Certain firewire cards actually have a port you have to plug in a power connector from the power supply in order to use the power functionality of it. The one i purchased (from www.computer123.com for $12.99 shipped (TI chipset) ), did not need a plug. When I first got it I was disappointed because I did not think it would charge the ipod and I would need to return it, but to my surprise it did in fact charge it, even without the extra power connector.

Oh yeah, if your firewire port is 4 pin (usually laptops), it WILL not charge, regardless of anything, everything, whatever :)

Last edited:

Gambit

A bump for more info - what brand of Firewire card did you get ? People around here seem to be under the impression that you NO PC-card firewire card will charge the iPod and you state that yours does. I looked on the web page you provided, however I did not find any PCMCIA firewire adapters. Maybe I'm just mis-understanding you and you are Not talking about a laptop card but a desktop PCI card rather. Correct me if I'm wrong please

Androoos

I have a generic FireWire PCMCIA card for my laptop...I think I got it for like $12 on EBay. I don't know if it's even got a brand...its a nothing, cheapo card. It doesn't charge the iPod. Just FYI.