Will you buy the new iPhone?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Are you going to buy the new iPhone?

• Yes...I'm getting the 4 GB iPhone for $499.00

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Yes...I'm getting the 8 GB iPhone for $599.00

Votes: 41 22.4%
  • I'm only buying if Cingular offers a rebate of at least $100.00

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I'm only buying if Cingular offers a rebate of at least $200.00

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • I'm only buying if Cingular offers a rebate of at least $300.00

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • I only getting an iPhone if it's free after the rebate.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I'm going to wait until the price comes down.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I'm going to wait until other providers besides Cingular offers the iPhone.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • No, I have no interest in the iPhone

Votes: 59 32.2%

• Total voters

pufftissue

This poll shows that for this audience (harder core ipod/Apple fans), the iPhone is nothing more than yet another product launch.

To reiterate:

1. virtual keyboards are never going to cut the mustard. If so, the treo would've had one by now.
2. edge is still no comparison to broadband via evdo or utms. Even Steve's reality distortion field can't spin this one.
3. nothing that is thin and small has great battery life. I simply do not see Apple coming out with anything with better battery life than the competition. The limiting factor is lithium ion tech, not engineering prowess.
4. If Walt Demossberg didn't have high praise for it, it may not appeal to the masses. He typically reviews from an average joe perspective, and he was neutral on it. This is not a good sign, b/c for all the hype that it's getting, real reviews are decidely lukewarm. At least it's not the Palm Foleo, which is truly a WTFrank product. It's already a legend before it's even been released. Smooth move releasing it during the same month as the iphone, btw.

Other than the sexiness factor, the iphone won't appeal once people actually start using it. Really. Sex sells, but b/c of a 30 day return policy, you can return it :>

Last edited:
Website
www.ilounge.com
pufftissue said:
1. virtual keyboards are never going to cut the mustard. If so, the treo would've had one by now.
Virtual keyboards won't likely appeal to the power-user who lives on their e-mail, but then again the device seems to be lacking in that respect in other areas as well, as compared to a device like the Blackberry.

Realistically, though, it's probably a huge step up for anybody who is used to sending SMS messages with a T9 predictive input phone keypad.

2. edge is still no comparison to broadband via evdo or utms. Even Steve's reality distortion field can't spin this one.
True, but in th North American market, this is all that's widely available anyway. Until the carriers catch up with the technology, this is a non-issue.

UTMS/HSDPA has not been widely rolled out in North American yet. A few major urban centres have it, but that's about the extent. EV-DO is a bit further ahead, but that's a CDMA-based technology, and therefore not available to the iPhone in its current design (and with its current partnership with Cingular/AT&T).

Obviously in a market like Europe, having merely EDGE speeds will seriously hamper the device. In North America, UTMS/HSDPA coverage is still elusive enough that most people aren't really going to care.

zerock

Website
www.edgarrodriguez.com
i really need a new phone, so i'm getting one of these. I dont need 3G on my phone right now. Also i dont see the iPhone as a mass media storage device. I will just take the music, videos, and movies. i want to watch currently. No need to bring your entire library (besides my entire library doesnt even fit on an iPod lol)

joeylang

WEll i onloy have 5.5 gigs on music videos and photos and podcasts so i am sellin my 30 gig ipod and getting an iphone.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
As cool as iPhone looks, I'm holding back to see what the other phone companies do. Nokia, Motorola, RIM and Palm are mature companies with a ton of experience building hand sets. They're not going to take iPhone lying down. Chances are good that a few short months from now each of these companies will have products that are as good or better than iPhone. Also, as an owner of every generation of the "flagship" iPod, I'm inclined to wait until iPhone 2.0 comes along before I buy into it. The launch version is bound to look pretty pathetic within a year or so.

Mathias

Surf Monkey said:
As cool as iPhone looks, I'm holding back to see what the other phone companies do. Nokia, Motorola, RIM and Palm are mature companies with a ton of experience building hand sets. They're not going to take iPhone lying down. Chances are good that a few short months from now each of these companies will have products that are as good or better than iPhone. Also, as an owner of every generation of the "flagship" iPod, I'm inclined to wait until iPhone 2.0 comes along before I buy into it. The launch version is bound to look pretty pathetic within a year or so.
Yes, they have a lot of experience in building hand sets, but not advanced operating systems. I do not think that we will see mobile software as cool and easy-to-use as Apple's "OS X mobile".

And it is mainly because of the OS X i'm buying a iPhone.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
Mathias said:
I do not think that we will see mobile software as cool and easy-to-use as Apple's "OS X mobile".

Why not? I don't see any reason why other companies can't come up with similar interfaces. Look how Microsoft emulates Mac OS X all the time. As much as I dislike Windows, the fact of the matter is that it's not that much different from Mac OS these days. I really think that it's only a matter of time before other companies launch similar hardware/software combinations to compete with iPhone, assuming that iPhone is a success.

Mathias

Surf Monkey said:
Why not? I don't see any reason why other companies can't come up with similar interfaces. Look how Microsoft emulates Mac OS X all the time. As much as I dislike Windows, the fact of the matter is that it's not that much different from Mac OS these days. I really think that it's only a matter of time before other companies launch similar hardware/software combinations to compete with iPhone, assuming that iPhone is a success.
Because a copy isn't as good as the real thing. We can see that in Vista.

And when the Leopard comes out - the average user can really see the difference again.

I can still see a difference between Tiger and Vista, and i think that Tiger is a whole lot better than Vista because it has:
1. No viruses
2. More stabile
3. A lot more easy to use
4. A lot more useful applications (iLife)

If a OS has to compete against "OS X mobile" it has to be original, and not just a copy.

And remember that iPhone has over 200 patents in it which also can make it hard to make a copy.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
Mathias said:
Because a copy isn't as good as the real thing. We can see that in Vista.
Vista isn't as good as Mac OS X. That's true. But from a functional viewpoint, it's virtually the same thing. There are no vast differences in the way you interact with Vista over the Mac OS.

Mathias said:
And when the Leopard comes out - the average user can really see the difference again.
The Leopard preview looked pretty good but far from revolutionary. I wouldn't say it's a very great leap forward.

Mathias said:
I can still see a difference between Tiger and Vista, and i think that Tiger is a whole lot better than Vista because it has:
1. No viruses
Not really true. There are fewer viruses on the Mac OS because of its smaller market share, not because it's invulnerable to them.

Mathias said:
2. More stabile
Depends on the hardware.

Mathias said:
3. A lot more easy to use
Purely your opinion.

Mathias said:
4. A lot more useful applications (iLife)
You'll get some MAJOR push back on that statement from virtually any Windows user. Most of them see iLife as a fancy toy, not a hard core suite of applications.

Mathias said:
If a OS has to compete against "OS X mobile" it has to be original, and not just a copy.
I didn't say copy. I said similar. Palm OS is similar to Windows Mobile. They're different but similar. Same with the iPhone interface. There's absolutely no reason why other companies can't follow Apple's lead and design something similarly useful. In fact, it's not a matter of IF they'll do it but WHEN. RIM and Palm aren't going to take iPhone lying down and they're not some rookie companies who can't compete with big bad Apple.

Mathias said:
And remember that iPhone has over 200 patents in it which also can make it hard to make a copy.
That's not a very compelling argument. Patents are nice but there are always ways around them.

Look, I'm not here to defend Vista or any other mobile or not mobile OS. All I'm saying is that a number of very large companies are going to (already are actually) throw a ton of money and resources towards catching up to and surpassing iPhone. The idea that it will be forever the gold standard is silly.

Mathias

Surf Monkey said:
Vista isn't as good as Mac OS X. That's true. But from a functional viewpoint, it's virtually the same thing. There are no vast differences in the way you interact with Vista over the Mac OS.

The Leopard preview looked pretty good but far from revolutionary. I wouldn't say it's a very great leap forward.

Not really true. There are fewer viruses on the Mac OS because of its smaller market share, not because it's invulnerable to them.

Depends on the hardware.

Purely your opinion.

You'll get some MAJOR push back on that statement from virtually any Windows user. Most of them see iLife as a fancy toy, not a hard core suite of applications.

I didn't say copy. I said similar. Palm OS is similar to Windows Mobile. They're different but similar. Same with the iPhone interface. There's absolutely no reason why other companies can't follow Apple's lead and design something similarly useful. In fact, it's not a matter of IF they'll do it but WHEN. RIM and Palm aren't going to take iPhone lying down and they're not some rookie companies who can't compete with big bad Apple.

That's not a very compelling argument. Patents are nice but there are always ways around them.

Look, I'm not here to defend Vista or any other mobile or not mobile OS. All I'm saying is that a number of very large companies are going to (already are actually) throw a ton of money and resources towards catching up to and surpassing iPhone. The idea that it will be forever the gold standard is silly.
You really like to discuss - me too :)

Just like iPod was revolutionary, the iPhone's OS is also kind of revolutionary in terms of intuitiveness (don't know if thats a word).

And that's why new products, which is similar to the iPhone will bee seen as "iPhone killers" - and the iPhone will remain as the most original product, which is very important for it's success.

Function-wise i agree with you that there will bee similar OS's. But not in terms of easy-to-use interfaces. Apple is best at making things simple.

Doc Evils

I Know You Love Me
After thinking of getting an LG Prada phone, I think I now see the great value the iPhone offers me being able to connect to my Mac & being very slim and sexy, plus I need a slim phone that can fit my overloaded pockets.

If it does come out on Vodafone in the UK, then hopefully it will be a done deal for me. :)