Will you buy the new iPhone?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Are you going to buy the new iPhone?

• Yes...I'm getting the 4 GB iPhone for $499.00

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Yes...I'm getting the 8 GB iPhone for $599.00

Votes: 41 22.4%
  • I'm only buying if Cingular offers a rebate of at least $100.00

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I'm only buying if Cingular offers a rebate of at least $200.00

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • I'm only buying if Cingular offers a rebate of at least $300.00

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • I only getting an iPhone if it's free after the rebate.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I'm going to wait until the price comes down.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I'm going to wait until other providers besides Cingular offers the iPhone.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • No, I have no interest in the iPhone

Votes: 59 32.2%

• Total voters

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
U seen the newly released Razr2 yet?

Nothing revolutionary, just the usual, bigger screen, more pixels, thinner blah-blah, and not even *that* aesthetically pleasing to me, and yet people over the phone forums are going ga-ga over it and are ready to ditch their newly purchased phones for the newest and greatest.

That's the young market for ya, ez-sell, no wonder.....

mdibella

Well, in my experience, devices that combine too much functionality end up doing NONE of it very well...as you discovered with your cell phone camera. I have used my cell-cam exactly once, to take a snap of my cat which I use as wallpaper for the phone itself.

The iPhone clearly already has problems in that area. Why on earth market something with a fancy widescreen video and at the same time limit it to 8 gigs? Even a company like Sony, with its paranoia regarding copy protection, markets devices that accommodate memory cards (albeit in a proprietary format).

When Apple combines the nice widescreen display with the existing iPod's abilities to store and play back audio and video in many formats, I'll be there with checkbook in hand to buy it. I already own several iPods (4? 5? can't remember for sure), I am a true 'early adopter geek', but I can not think of a good reason to buy an iPhone.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
A valid concern of combining phone+multimedia player is, battery. Running out of juice when u have to make a call seems unacceptable. iPhone1 testing ground me thinks.

mdibella

bobb-mini said:
U seen the newly released Razr2 yet?

Nothing revolutionary, just the usual, bigger screen, more pixels, thinner blah-blah, and not even *that* aesthetically pleasing to me, and yet people over the phone forums are going ga-ga over it and are ready to ditch their newly purchased phones for the newest and greatest.

That's the young market for ya, ez-sell, no wonder.....
um my new phone is a KRZR and I like it a lot. But mostly the phone is used for my husband to call me and say things like 'When are you coming home? I'm hungry! What's for dinner?' hee hee

mdibella

Battery life is indeed likely to be an issue. Watching videos on an iPod just eats up the battery...mind you there are many battery packs available, both rechargeable ones and ones that take AA or AAA batteries. I have several, and if I am watching videos on it, I am likely pretty stationary...adding a clunky battery pack to the iPod is not a big deal.

Not sure I'd want to do that with a cell phone though.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
mdibella said:
Not sure I'd want to do that with a cell phone though.
Precisely.

Unless Apple comes up with something nobody else has thought of, they GOTTA make the iPhone's battery user-replaceable. Jobs doesn't like that 'cuz it mars the look of an otherwise thin & streamline unit (the man likes thin). But user-replaceable batt, like the everybody else's, u carry a second batt wif u. First one runs out, away from AC, remove batt#1, slap on batt#2 and keep yaping.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
I still predict (2nd time now), the streamlined iPhone II (no smart features) just a regular phone+iPod, will sell like hotcakes like the intro of the iPod-mini following the full size iPod. Assuming the iPhone1 doesn't run into some serious unexpected boo-boos.

Snakes

No Because the Price from over 1000$ (Phone&Plan for two years) is to high. I hope that not buy so many people the Iphone with a Plan and start a boycott against this impudently sale strategy.

Last edited:

joeylang

Any phone and plan is over 1000 dollars for two years. You care gonna have to pay for the plan regardless of if you have a free phone of an iphone, and the iphone plans are not gonna be premium because you have an iphone, you are gonna get to choose fromt he same plans as everyone else. This is a stupid arguement that a lot fo peoplea re making.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Snakes said:
start a boycott against this impudently sale strategy.
Ahhh... u said the magic word, BOYCOTT. That means u still want it!

Where there is want, there is demand, demand=sales. Resistance is futile, u cannot escape the evil capitalists. Woooohhaahhhhaa!

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
interesting to note that as of this post 30% of posters chose "I have no interest in the iphone". I totally would have thought on these forums the majority would be at least waiting for the price to come down. iphone 1.0 will fail I think, and iphone 2.0 when it comes out will be leaps and bounds better. It's the Apple way after all.

TheBigNewt

Snakes said:
No Because the Price from over 1000$ (Phone&Plan for two years) is to high. I hope that not buy so many people the Iphone with a Plan and start a boycott against this impudently sale strategy.
And where in heck do you think you are gonna get the phone and 2 years of voice/data/txt for $1000? 24 months of a fairly cheapo plan will costs you $2000, add the phone and you're up to $2500. A plan with, say, 600 minutes will end up costing you more like $3000 for 2 years including the phone. I have Tmobile with 300 minutes, 400 txt, and unlimited data ($20 half the price of VZN, I think ATT is 30). Costs me $75 with tax. Add 'em up!

Last edited:

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
TheBigNewt said:
And where in heck do you think you are gonna get the phone and 2 years of voice/data/txt for $1000? 24 months of a fairly cheapo plan will costs you $2000, add the phone and you're up to $2500. A plan with, say, 600 minutes will end up costing you more like $3000 for 2 years including the phone. I have Tmobile with 300 minutes, 400 txt, and unlimited data ($20 half the price of VZN, I think ATT is 30). Costs me $75 with tax. Add 'em up!
How about not? whats with all the people who insist on being an IT industry analyst? Since when does the consumer factor in 2 years of service, premium phone, monthly costs, rebate factors, etc? I have a hard time with everyone justifying every last penny this stupid iphone will cost.

Whatever happened to the good old fashion rule of thumb that works for most economically sound individuals:
$600 for phone = too much
x>$50 service plan = too much
trying to justify why the iphone is so worth it before it even has been released = too much

kyussmondo

deftdrummer1 said:
How about not? whats with all the people who insist on being an IT industry analyst? Since when does the consumer factor in 2 years of service, premium phone, monthly costs, rebate factors, etc? I have a hard time with everyone justifying every last penny this stupid iphone will cost.

Whatever happened to the good old fashion rule of thumb that works for most economically sound individuals:
$600 for phone = too much
x>$50 service plan = too much
trying to justify why the iphone is so worth it before it even has been released = too much
When you look at most phones which the iPhone would be in competition with, such as the LG Prada, then the iPhone is competitive. So in that sense the iPhone can hardly be called overpriced. Since when are new products ever cheap anyway? The first iPods were far from cheap (£400 for my first one), 2.5 generations later and they are half that price.

Moreover, I know people who are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money in the first place then each month to get the latest phones. These people are likely to save it from a pre-mature death and enable Apple to go on and create future generations at more reasonable prices.

misper666

well, some of the most basic phones have features that are not supported by some networks. that's the main problem, no point getting one if the d*m carriers won't let you use the feature(s) that you bought it for, or, other features, which in time may make you angry that you can't use them. for example, o2 in the uk have the best GSM signal but they will not let you use GPRS (or higher) internet... unless ofcourse, you go contract. they are blindly putting people into leisure or business categories when actually, everybody wants to use ALL the features of their handset regardless of plan. it makes me so angry.

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
slashjunior said:
When you look at most phones which the iPhone would be in competition with, such as the LG Prada, then the iPhone is competitive. So in that sense the iPhone can hardly be called overpriced. Since when are new products ever cheap anyway? The first iPods were far from cheap (£400 for my first one), 2.5 generations later and they are half that price.

Moreover, I know people who are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money in the first place then each month to get the latest phones. These people are likely to save it from a pre-mature death and enable Apple to go on and create future generations at more reasonable prices.
The LG Prada came out after the iphone to compete with it not the other way around. I think we may come from two different worlds. Obviously, you are in the UK and I am here in the states. No offense, but if I do so recall you guys over there on the big island like to spend big money on cell phones. - Not so true in the U.S. Sadly, the iphone will not be introduced in the UK right away so it is a moot point. I don't care who you are, $600 for a phone and two years of service is quite ridiculous and only helps these companies such as Sony and Apple push the pricing envelope to see how far they can drive the price up even if to ungodly heights.

littlewaywelt

For ppl that think the phone and plan are too much and wil impact sales. Get a clue.
Tens of thousands of ppl pony up $40/month for verizon unlimited data (granted thats evdo) and spent btwn $300-$600 for a Treo. ...and the treo has zero cool factor by comparison. It doesn't matter whether a Treo is 10x or 100x more capable.

Jadakiss

The data plan should be no more than $20. Im sure more sk3 been sold so far than any newer model treo.