Will you buy the new iPhone?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Are you going to buy the new iPhone?

• Yes...I'm getting the 4 GB iPhone for $499.00

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Yes...I'm getting the 8 GB iPhone for $599.00

Votes: 41 22.4%
  • I'm only buying if Cingular offers a rebate of at least $100.00

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I'm only buying if Cingular offers a rebate of at least $200.00

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • I'm only buying if Cingular offers a rebate of at least $300.00

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • I only getting an iPhone if it's free after the rebate.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I'm going to wait until the price comes down.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I'm going to wait until other providers besides Cingular offers the iPhone.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • No, I have no interest in the iPhone

Votes: 59 32.2%

• Total voters
Website
www.ilounge.com
Well, in for a penny, as they say.... :)

Realistically, the iPhone is not priced as any kind of an economy product, so those who are actually willing to go out and buy one probably don't care too much about the extra $100 for the increased capacity compared to what they're already spending on the device in the first place.

mongoos150

Price must come down at least $100 for me to consider, and ideally larger HDD sizes and better battery life would also be included. 5 hours is just.too.short.

blondolphn

I would consider getting it, but most of my qualms lie with cingular. Since my first cell phone about 6 years ago (which was orginally my parents at the time and got passed down to me), my cell phone reception has gotten worse with each model I have upgraded to. And their customer service sucks. At least it has in my area. I always dread having to go to the store and talk to them about my cell phone. They usually can't help me, and tell me I should be able to get reception in areas that I don't. Having a phone I could put a good chunk of my favorite music on would be nice, but I do have a 60g photo ipod that I love and still have room on, so we'll see what happens when my current plan runs out.

Nader172

t3h ul71m473 h4xX0r!!1!
Psh, no I don't need it. I got a phone and an iPod so there isn't a need to buy this thing.

GinoLicious

Will be buying the 8gb iPhone once it gets released into Canada. Or I may just drive down to teh states buy one and have it unlocked in Canada.

monkeysrock0622

i personally think the iPhone is one of the best things i have ever seen. it has amazing features and is is almost perfect, the only thing missing is maybe the capability to record video but im sure the will be added in the 2g iPhone. i wish it would already be on sale now but i can wait cause it comes out in june and that just happens to be when my contract ends so i dont have to wait or pay an early termination fee, i already have cingular, and that is when my birthday is so i am getting it for basically free (with a little extra work around the house for my parents) so it all works out prefectly for me :D

iDamon

I've got a phone, a nice Motorolla W22o. its just a phone and i like the way it is. do apple need to turne verything in a multimedia machine, listening to music, videos and internet and phone does not go together, expensive because phones usually have small memories. ipod is ok, but not the iphone.

paranoidxe

$600 for a mere 8gb capacity? battery life will probably suck. I'd rather purchase 2 8GB nanos or 1 80GB Video and 1 30GB Video than a phone that attempts to be media everything..it just doesn't go together.

Germansuplex

I want one, I simply don't have the money to afford it. I was going to just go for it and buy it anyways when it came out, but then I realized that I'm far more attracted to the iPod portion of it more than anything else. I can buy a PSP to browse the web.... and play games and play mp3s. The 8 gigs isn't a problem with me: most average joes who purchase the phone after being persuaded by a rep will probably think 8 gigs is a lot of space. Look at how well the nano sells: that just about says it all.

So the money, along with the cost of enabling fucntions (it may be next to nothing, or a bill with decent minutes and data access could run well above $100 dollars per month) have me changing my mind. I'll probably just wait for the rumored video iPod and hope it has similar functionality as the iPod portion of the iPhone.

nagromme

Website
MacClan.net
Yes, I'm getting the 16 GB iPhone for $599 :) Which means I must wait a bit--and thus, I might gain 3G support into the bargain.

If the data plans are too pricey, I'll just get voice--and do my mail checking by WiFi at hotspots.

butterfly0fdoom

I'm getting the 8GB, but it really depends on the fine print. I don't mind Cingular (I prefer Cingular to the GSM alternative of T-Mobile, and I refuse to get CDMA), but I don't want to have to get a 2-year contract for the phone (especially since my current contract will be in its 18th month by June), I just want to be able to pop in my current SIM card.

mdibella

I will be unlikely to buy the iPhone because I have a two year contract to Verizon for my existing phone. Why would I want to pay penalties in order to change carriers?

In addition, while I love the idea of a widescreen iPod, what good is it with a mere 8GB of memory? I want a true iPod, with at least an 80GB hard drive, on which I can watch the movies and TV shows I regularly download from iTunes.

I really believe that the iPhone will fall flat because too many of us are locked into our current carriers for some period of time.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
mdibella said:
Why would I want to pay penalties in order to change carriers?
'Cuz this is not ANY phone. It's unlike anything anybody had b4r, once yr friend has it and show how sexy it's (by how it works) you will change your tune.

And these days u don't pay the whole penalty do you? I believe new law says u pay the remaining of contract, not the whole shebang (unconfirmed).

In addition, while I love the idea of a widescreen iPod, what good is it with a mere 8GB of memory? I want a true iPod, with at least an 80GB hard drive, on which I can watch the movies and TV shows I regularly download from iTunes.
I am wif u there, that's why I let u ginnie pigs work out the bugs first, I wait version II. :D

I really believe that the iPhone will fall flat because too many of us are locked into our current carriers for some period of time.
See 1st paragraph response.

Last edited:

mdibella

ummmm I am 57, a little old for peer pressure. I like my new razr phone, but then I am not one of those folks who's always glued to the phone, I just use it as a convenience.

I also am curious about another problem. I am sure a lot of folks are like me, they fly a fair amount and use their iPods on planes. When the plane takes off, there is always an announcement to turn OFF cell phones. So combining the two devices makes one of them inaccessible in the air, when it would otherwise be fine to use.

Admittedly I am a bit old fashioned, but it just seems to me that many companies are trying to combine devices that don't necessarily belong together. I could never figure out why my new phone had to have a CAMERA! And it has an mp3 player which I've never used.

I also never bought one of those toasters that cook hot dogs...

Website
www.ilounge.com
Well, for somebody who is carrying an iPod and a phone anyway, and might want the devices converged, it might make some sense, but I still see the iPod features as mostly secondary to the phone and Internet features.

As for use on planes, most smartphone devices (and even devices like the RAZR) now have an "Airplane Mode" or an "Offline Mode" that basically turns off all transmit/receive functions while still allowing the other features of the phone to be used. I think it's a given that the iPhone will have this.

There was a time when flight attendants were much more nervous about such issues... I remember trying to explain to one of them a few years ago that my iPod was not a cell phone and therefore shouldn't be an issue... The young lady in question had to check with the Captain before she'd let me actually use it in flight. These days, however, the proliferation of Blackberries and other smart phones mean that most of them pretty clearly understand that these devices are not an issue as long as the wireless functions are turned off (in fact, the Air Canada pre-flight briefing video even uses an iPod as an example of a device that can be used in flight).

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
mdibella said:
ummmm I am 57, a little old for peer pressure. I like my new razr phone, but then I am not one of those folks who's always glued to the phone
Oh, well yeah, then yr not in the iPhone's primary market group.

Combining - yeah, the implied rational is, so one doesn't have to carry multiple devices. This sounds good until reality sets in. Again, the target market. You and I own real cameras, the teens don't and if they are able to peek-snap their friends, they'll gobble it up.

I WANTED a camera in my phone, always wondered if I happened in an auto accident (knock wood, it's been 15 yrs), a camera would come in handy for documentation. Or the other day, I was late for work, so I attempted to snapshot the freeway signs that said "Accident ahead - blah - blah), only to find that my &%^$ cell-cam has unacceptable performance (can't make out dark sign in bright day light). So yer right, half of these features are for teens to shed their $. Dunn get me started about trying to combine my iPod and cell into one, gave up.

BUT if u do use an MP3 player, and u DO get online wif your cell alot, or u like to write quick notes, the iPhone may bring that seamless experience Apple is famous for. Any company, hey, I'm wif ya 100%. Apple, like their Ads says, is DIFFERENT.

Last edited: