Will you buy the new iPhone?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Are you going to buy the new iPhone?

• Yes...I'm getting the 4 GB iPhone for $499.00

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Yes...I'm getting the 8 GB iPhone for $599.00

Votes: 41 22.4%
  • I'm only buying if Cingular offers a rebate of at least $100.00

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I'm only buying if Cingular offers a rebate of at least $200.00

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • I'm only buying if Cingular offers a rebate of at least $300.00

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • I only getting an iPhone if it's free after the rebate.

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I'm going to wait until the price comes down.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I'm going to wait until other providers besides Cingular offers the iPhone.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • No, I have no interest in the iPhone

Votes: 59 32.2%

• Total voters

geohsia

I would, if I could use it in my car like my current iPod (charge and play music), but also have access to the interface(which I can't do now). That way, I(or my navigator ;-)) can still use Google maps, check email and answer phone calls while I listen to tunes through my stereo. This would also alleviate some of the potential battery issues.

alpha80

ASAP copping one as soon as Jobs releases thicker iPhone 100GB HD model.

RCA output iLuv-style bottom pack would be official too.

glamorouss

I'll probably buy it if it's AIM compatible. If it's not I think that would be the breaking/selling point for me. The internet's all fine and dandy but not having AIM would definitely suck. It's the thing I use the computer for the most. I mean, I go on forums and myspace and facebook and all that junk but AIM is really my number one priority. If they don't have it I'd totally be alright with just getting a sidekick or something. I have the SLVR and I'm due for a new phone sometime soon anyways. I HATE that the gigs are so small but whatever, there's no use complaining. We KNOW it's not a lot. I have 20 gigs and I hate rotating music say if I borrow my father's nano (my iPod just broke.) But I guess I'd be okay with an iPod and an iPhone. It'd be better if it were two in one, but hey whatever. It'll happen soon.

spaceman1701

MissCasey said:
As much as the iPhone looks.. interesting, I won't be buying it. I'm perfectly happy with my nano and cell phone, and won't be buying anything different unless they break. Even then, I'm not going to spend $500 for something like that. I barely ever use my phone so.. spending that much money on something that I will more than likely only use for the music and sometimes the int. (when I could just as easily get a labtop with a bigger screen to read things on) is not something I will be doing.

That and the fact that I wouldn't have enough money to spend on something like this.

You'd think the screen would get all fingerprint-y, as well. I haven't read up much on the iPhone, though, so if there is something that prevents fingerprints getting on the screen, sorry that I missed it.

I am assuming they would have one of those touch-screen pointers along with it, however.
Use a stylus, to prevent fingerprints.

And to the dude above abit, ok so it isnt an Ipod, its a next gen smartphone. Where's the Ipod only version?

owenstar

No...

1. Cingular...they are the devil and I have no interest in going back....When a national comercial advertises free mobile to mobile for "all" customers but then customer services says "no" you must upgrade your package to over twice your current plan payment to be eligable I told them to go back to the hell they came from...not to mention frequent outages....crazy billing (my card was charged 4 times one month which took forever to un do) and hour or more waits for customer service....HELL NO...never again

2. Price....sure I can afford 600 dollars....but thats more than my car payment...or the rent on my first apartment....10 years ago....I just think of 100 things I would rather own at that price point other than a phone....it makes the ps3 look reasonable which is insane

3. small size hard drives...what the point of full screen if you can fill it with movies?

4. I have a sidekick...its pretty nifty in its own right...it doesnt have video, but other than that it rocks....tmobile is great...it works everywhere...my plan is affordable...unlimited data is 20 a month...the internet is quick and it has the qwerty keyboard....

joeylang

I definatly want it, bt i dont know if i can affod that. I am trying my darndest to save up every penny possible, but it is hard when i have 2 basketball games a week i have to go to, and track season is around that corner which is very expensive, and i only get like 20 bucks a week. My birthday is in June though, and I am gonna save up as much as possible until then and hopefully, with the help of my parents, I will be able to get it. I want it........

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
MissCasey said:
As much as the iPhone looks.. interesting, I won't be buying it. I'm perfectly happy with my nano and cell phone, and won't be buying anything different unless they break. Even then, I'm not going to spend $500 for something like that. I barely ever use my phone so.. spending that much money on something that I will more than likely only use for the music and sometimes the int. (when I could just as easily get a labtop with a bigger screen to read things on) is not something I will be doing.

That and the fact that I wouldn't have enough money to spend on something like this.

You'd think the screen would get all fingerprint-y, as well. I haven't read up much on the iPhone, though, so if there is something that prevents fingerprints getting on the screen, sorry that I missed it.

I am assuming they would have one of those touch-screen pointers along with it, however.
You took the words right out of my mouth

toothpaste

i have no interest in such a device not in the first revision anyway, we all know apple has issues with first releases of any product.

Glorybox3737

Most Awesome Lounger
I won't buy the iPhone until it has 80gbs flash, is available on something other than cingular (prepaid preferably) and has a decent price

misper666

pdxa4 said:
I want to buy it sim-free and unlocked...
that would be very expensive then

imo all mobiles are overpriced sim free, this is partly to fund giving them free to contract plans. this is all down to the evil networks trying to monopolise & tie people down.

imo the iphone is great but all the networks will no doubt kill many peoples ability to get one without shelling out for sim free. even if you do get sim free, many networks will probably diasable certain functions like they do today - instant messaging, streaming, file sh**ing etc etc... some even block ordinary phones with GPRS using the internet by allowing them only WAP over GPRS. it's a crying shame.

ipods are expensive but you don't have much restriction using them, this is why they have still sold extremely well... iphone will also be expensive AND probably have usage restrictions applied by the networks - will be interesting to see how well it does.

god i hate mobile networks sometimes for not allowing the full use of devices sold by them - i even think they are killing this industry, as what the people want, is not necesarily what they get!

Step666

Self-hating iPod owner
Website
www.myspace.com
Short answer: no.
Long answer: nnnnnoooooooooooo...

Seriously though, a phone that costs $500-600 on top of a 2-year contract?
I only took my current phone on an 18 month contract because I'm getting cashback that makes it free for the first 9 months and the phone came free as a part of that too.

Also, what sort of rip-off price is it going to be sold for in the UK?
I mean, $500-600 is ~£250-300 but in never works like that. Things are never the same price as they are in the US< they're always more expensive, so how much are we going to be talking?

kylo4

I won't buy the iPhone because I don't talk on the phone much.
Btw, I swear jHollington either works for Steve Jobs or knows A LOT about Apple.

lennyj17

I have a 60gig 5g ipod and Sanyo M1 and i dont even use the M1 MP3 player....Needless to say i wont be going to cingular just for the IPhone.

I see this phone being hot on it intial rollout but after that Splat, I dont see it even making it to X-mas 07.

wyneken

I definitely want to buy something LIKE the iPhone, which strikes me as the prototype of an irresistible new Apple product category.

One thing that strikes me about the iPhone is that it's really a COMPUTER. I mean, it runs a real version of OSX, which is built on a Unix kernel, so there is no theoretical limit to the kind of functions it could perform. For me personally, the internet connectivity functions might be more useful than the cell-phone capability (I don't even own a cell phone right now), so I think I will be waiting for the product line to evolve a little further in the PDA direction.

I would LOVE to have a pocket-sized MacBook that I could use as a tiny portable office, with iChat-like conference capabilities, web-browsing, and widgets to function like the regular OSX TextEdit, iCal, and Address Book. And of course all the features of a regular iPod.

I'd also like to see a stylus and handwriting recognition like the "Rosetta" technology developed for the Newton. None of this seems like much of a stretch, given the starter set of features built in to the 1st-gen iPhone, and the fact that this little thing is basically a computer running OSX.

Gix1k

I'm not sure what I am going to do yet.....If I start saving now, I may get. However, I do not want to leave T-mobile just for a phone. Being it's on Ging, which is GSM....Maybe after a while I can buy an unlocked one and use on T-Mobile.

AHA

Website
www.alphasports.tv
Being an incurable smartphone addict, I was pretty keen to see the iPhone, but now I'm unlikely to buy one for many reasons, not the least of which is the Apple (read: Jobs) Mentality.

After ditching my Blackberry and its overpriced data plan, I've been using my Nokia E61 for several months, and am quite impressed. It has more crap on it than the iPhone ever will-- "open-source" wifi (so you CAN use voip as well as free internet/email access), 24-bit color screen, great speakerphone, built-in navigation, built-in Office suite, unlimited mini-SD capacity, great audio & video playback, and all kinds of other features. Plus, Nokia openly encourages 3rd-party application development so there exists already a whole raft of USEFUL applications for this platform (Symbian S60 Series 3).

Not sure why but I maintain a minimal data plan nonetheless but because it's non-proprietary (i.e. not Blackberry) it only costs me $25/mo here in Canada, and I may even dump that.

This phone does everything I need and then some, so I have gotten over my gotthaveit-itis from when I first saw the iPhone. It's cute, but I resent the proprietary approach of its architecture and certainly won't cough up $500 for a device that is, for all intents and purposes, nearly obsolete already.

Don't mind me, just my .02!

Carry on

Commodus

The iPhone could be very worthwhile, but I'd be loathe to commit to anything until I saw what changes Apple makes by the June launch. The software will be expanded and possibly work a bit differently. The price could also be less.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
No, I probably won't be buying one. I already have a Blackberry and iPhone isn't a big enough step forward from that to make it compelling to me. Unless and until it truly becomes an iPod/phone I'll stick with the two devices I already have.

Pikemann_Urge

Approximately 22% of respondents are going to buy the iPhone regardless of the disadvantages. However, a total of about 56% of respondents would like to buy it but most of them have specified certain conditions.

What struck me: about four times as many respondents who will buy it have chosen the 8GB version over the 4GB version. I guess the extra $100 is worth it to those who probably want to store video as well as audio.