wifi question

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

raidersfann26

4G 40GB IPod Photo
ok... i have a psp and a sidekick 3... with my psp i need to either be in a hotspot or at home with my router to go online... with my sidekick i dont... its just online all the time through the tmobile network.... well which one is the ipod touch going to be? will i need to be in a hotspot or will it just be online all the time?

gravydrive

You'll need a hotspot, just like with your PSP. The reason your sidekick works everywhere (that cell service is available) is because when you aren't in a hotspot, it accesses the internet over the cell network.

hyphenpipe

I have no doubt you will need to be in or near a hotspot for this unit's wifi to function.

kornchild2002

You will definitely need to be around a hot spot. Your Sidekick uses the T-Mobile network to connect to the internet. This network is available anywhere you get a digital cellphone signal. Wi-fi works differently in that you need a hot spot (ie a wi-fi signal) in order for it to work. Wi-fi signals just don't have the ranges of cellphone signals so you will only be able to access the internet in certain locations on the iPod touch.

np2100

Yes, wifi hotspot only. This really is the fundamental difference between this new thingy called the ipod touch and the iphone. The iphone can use the cellular phone network anywhere. (well, anywhere there's a GSM tower nearby)

fishcube

So, will the ipod Touch work with Direct TV internet? Will I be able to access my email at home?

kornchild2002

If you have a wireless router then yes, it will work. If you don't have a wireless router and just plug your computer into your modem via USB2.0 or ethernet then there is a problem. If said computer has a wireless networking card then you can make it produce a wi-fi signal thus allowing your iPod touch to have internet access. If it doesn't have a wi-fi card and you don't have a wireless router then you are SOL.

Wi-fi is the key ingredient here. You need a wi-fi router (or a computer equipped with a wi-fi card) in order to get it to work. If not, then you might as well try to use a car without gasoline or diesel fuel.