Why would I need other syncing software?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

PinballWiz

Hello,

I just bought one of the new iPods. I'm just wondering why I would need a program like Xplay Media Center or ephpod? I'm not crazy about Musicmatch, but it seems to do the job.

What I want to do is this....

Rip or download mp3 files to my computer, dock the iPod, and have all my new songs, or songs where the tags have been edited to transfer to the iPod as Automatically as possible.

I don't really need to use the iPod as a hard drive. I would like it to hold contact information.

People seem to really like these programs, but I don't see what one gains by using them.

Can someone please tell me what I might be missing by not using one of these programs?

Thanks,
Rob

norque83

Website
www.geocities.com
Well, I don't know if this is still the case with the new iPods, but many people went to something other than Musicmatch because it tended to screw up during the syncing process or do other "wierd" things. I've found this to be the case with the old iPods at least (MMJB 7.1)

Also, some people decided to forego Musicmatch because its user interface (in some peoples' opinion) is not as user-friendly as some other software offerings (ie Ephpod handles playlists much better).

In addition, those other programs may have other functionality or other sublties not found in the alternatives (this is especially the case with Media Center 9). Also, things other than Musicmatch tend to load songs onto the iPod faster

However, if you Like Musicmatch, and it seems to be working fine for you, then by all means stick with it. But if you want, you can give the other programs a try to see if you are "missing" anything. :)

Last edited:

Magic Randy

I have both a new iPod (30gb) and an old style (20gb).

I've tried all of the different software products and like Music Center best. I can use it for ripping, tagging, and syncing.

Just a datapoint. If you use MusicMatch you will appreciate these numbers. I have 5530 songs. To do a first time sync with Music Center it takes less than 1 hour. Do do a follow-on sync, say you add 1 album, takes about 2 minutes.

Randy

PinballWiz

Randy,

Is music center the same thing as media center? If not, where can I find music center. Also, does music center use an online database to fix the mp3 tags?

Like I said in the original message, I'm not thrilled with musicmatch. I'm open to ideas, especially if they make using the iPod a better experience.

Rob

Magic Randy said:
I have both a new iPod (30gb) and an old style (20gb).

I've tried all of the different software products and like Music Center best. I can use it for ripping, tagging, and syncing.

Just a datapoint. If you use MusicMatch you will appreciate these numbers. I have 5530 songs. To do a first time sync with Music Center it takes less than 1 hour. Do do a follow-on sync, say you add 1 album, takes about 2 minutes.

Randy

G

MC9 seems pretty cool. I'm still on the trial, but will probably buy it. All I can say is after the problems I had with MMJB, thank God something different is available. I still have nightmares... [shudder]...