Why the drop in hard drive capacity?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

musichound

I am curious to know why Apple decided to lower the highest capacity for the newest Classics to 120GB. I think it's because the 160GB Classic did not sell as well as the 80GB model and Apple wants to go head to head with the Zune 80GB. Does anyone else have any better answers? I am curious about this because it seems odd that Apple lowered the capacity instead of keeping it the same or raising it.

paranoidxe

musichound said:
I am curious to know why Apple decided to lower the highest capacity for the newest Classics to 120GB. I think it's because the 160GB Classic did not sell as well as the 80GB model and Apple wants to go head to head with the Zune 80GB. Does anyone else have any better answers? I am curious about this because it seems odd that Apple lowered the capacity instead of keeping it the same or raising it.
Well if you believe mr jobs he thinks that the "thick" version wasn't selling well. Apples game plan has been to get devices as thin as possible so it might be partially correct.

I think the device was too thick for some people but I think the biggest factor is the fact the price was high. $350 is a lot for a portable music player either way you dice it.

Why make a device that costs a company money but doesn't sell well? It has to justify the costs.

Some think a 240GB will come out later this year but I don't buy it as its a dual platter which would once again make it "thick" and once again a price tag at $350. So they'd be in the same situation they were before.

misper666

it's probably more to do with the bad economic situation we have that's been falling over the last few years. but this is interesting:

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2008/04/21/ready-for-a-500-terabyte-ipod/

if someone adapts this technology & it is cost effective then i can't see why they wouldn't want to give people what they want. it says apple are interested in this, but a lot of testing needs to be done before they can be sure of the stability & security of having so much storage, it's bad when you loose data, horrifying if you loose terabytes of the stuff. if it turns out to be really cost effective then we could have lot's of back up options, possibly even a back up option within an ipod partition itself. we may be looking at a whole new generation of storage, not just ipods.