Why Rate Your Music?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

RatherPlayHalo

Website
www.fansforscript.com
Does anyone else not use the ratings feature in iTunes? Personally, I tend to like certain songs differently when I'm in different moods. Today's 3-star song could sound like a 5-star song tomorrow. Is it just me?

kornchild2002

I used to think like you and not rate my music. I then discovered smart playlists and I find that rating songs is the best way to organize them. So I rate all the songs that I marginally like or really like at 5 stars. I setup a smart playlist that automatically puts all of my 5 star ratings in there. I then sync that playlist to my 16GB iPod touch. Any song that I don't like, I don't rate and they get ignored. I then go through my music videos and rate each video with one star that I like or marginally like. Again, that gets put into a playlist and then synced to my iPod touch.

That way my iPod touch carries around my songs and music videos that I even remotely like. I can always skip a song if I don't feel like listening to it but that is never the case. So that is why I rate my music. I am sure other people have different reasons though. I used not to rate my music though as I would always just create a custom "best of" playlist with songs that I liked and remove songs that I got tired of. That was when I used my 5G 60GB iPod for syncing and the playlist size really didn't matter. My 16GB iPod touch has caused me to further think my portable music syncing methods. So far, I like this new method better.

Dr.Gonzo

I have a 3 star, 4 star and 5 star playlist. I also have a playlist that lists them all and plays them out of those lists. (Which plays on my 8G Nano, and my iPhone when I get it. )

I also have an unrated list that plays what I haven't gotten to rating yet. It's like my own little radio station and I'm the PD. :D

Amelie

<3
I feel the same way as you do and that's why I don't rate songs. If I don't like a song, it won't be in my library. If I like some marginally better than others at one time, I'll find myself feeling differently a day, a week or a month later.

bdb

On the B side of life
I don't rate songs. I could see how people who are more song-oriented might like it to put their favorite songs on a space-limited device, but I usually listen to albums.

Also, I like to have a way to flag songs to delete from the iPod or remove from a playlist. I use the stars for that.

bigbabydaddy196

Chief Nanny-Boo-Boo
I used to not rate songs--until I, too, discovered smart playlists and how to edit same.

If there are particular songs I don't like, I do delete them; however, many individual tracks work well in the context of a particular album (serving as transition pieces, for example) that I don't want to hear as part of a smart playlist, so I rate those tracks w/ 2 stars to keep them out of a shuffle, but keep the album intact--essential for gapless playback. I'd hate to listen to "The Wall" and hear a jarring gap where "Bring the Boys Back Home" used to be....

TBojars

Future Social Worker
I'm someone that tends not to rate my music..maybe I'm just weird.

skruggie

I can't imagine managing a large library with smart playlists without using the ratings tool?

misper666

depends where you at with syncing quantity vs quality. always gonna be summat better in your collection.

i go for quality (sound). so i only sync what i think is best in the first place. then i'll just rate 5 stars the tracks that really grab me. these are the ones that ALWAYS grab me best regardless of what mood i'm in.

so yeah i don't go mad sorting them in 1,2,3, or 4 stars i just have a 'peak time' selection & the rest of it fits when i'm more contemplative or thinking deeper.

also i used to be on pc on usb1 which worked but was slow so i didn't wanna waste more time creating playlists. now i'm on mac i marvel at how quick it is & i like it, thankkyou very much, so i still can't be bothered wasting time with playlists!!

Code Monkey

Can't even imagine not rating my music. Without ratings and smartlists I'd only hear my favorite songs about every 2 to 3 years with the size of my library, the same rate I'd be hearing some obscure Russian choir do a rendition of a medieval religious piece. Extensive ratings combined with smartlists is what lets have a 30,000+ track library and still have music mixes that always sound normal and familiar.

You'll notice there's a pattern: those that rate use smartlists, because if you don't use smartlists, then you can't actually reap any benefit from rating your music.