Why is there no duplicate songs in my Library but there's duplicates on my Ipod?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Darnit

One song is being a pain in my butt. Now it's repeated 3 times on my Ipod touch but no duplicates in my Library. I think it has to do something when you delete the file and asks if you want to keep it or not. I've noticed when I delete the song from my library then re-add it, it adds that song an additional time on my Ipod. I unsynced all my music and this song was still on it. Also, this song I bought from the Itunes store and it's no longer under my Puchased tab, I didn't delete it.

From left to right the Image is on my Ipod, and right is Itunes.

I have Windows 7, Ipod 3 Generation

Someone help please.

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
If you delete a song from your iTunes library, then re-add it, then your iPod will see it as a new song even though the relevant fields are identical. This is because each track has a unique ID, and that is what the iPod and iTunes use to know what needs to sync or not.

Also, if you manually manage your iPod, you can get duplicates if you make even simple tag edits to songs in your library. Say you add Comments or change the artwork to a song in your library, and that song happens to be in a playlist that you manually drag over to your iPod. The updated song will copy over to your iPod, even though it is already on the iPod. This didn't use to happen with the Touch (or iPhone) but seems to have started with iOS 5. If this is the cause of your duplicates, simply delete them from your iPod (either directly, or while connected to iTunes).

Another possibility -- If you buy music directly from your Touch, you may find that it remains on your device even if you think it should not be part of your sync routine. When you connect your Touch to iTunes, click on the "Music" tab where you specify what you want sync'd to your iPod. Way at the bottom you'll see (something like) "Manually added tracks". These are songs you purchased directly to your device, or songs that you manually drag to your device while it is set to auto-sync (yes, you can manually add things to your iPod even if you auto-sync). So, see if these repeats (or at least one version of the song) is in this category and un-check it and re-sync.

These things may not work -- my iPhone has some "ghost" songs on it from an album I purchased directly on my device. They failed to transfer to my library on my next sync -- well, the songs showed up in my library but grayed out. I tried to re-transfer purchases from my iPhone to my library but they would not transfer, so I deleted these ghost entries from my library and downloaded them from iCloud. Now I have "ghost" versions of these songs on my iPhone as well as normal ones that play fine. But for the life of me I can't seem to shake the ghosts and I get an error each time I sync. The ghosts are still there even after syncing NO music, then re-syncing my selected playlists. Oh well, hopefully they disappear without having to do a full restore ...

Darnit

This didn't use to happen with the Touch (or iPhone) but seems to have started with iOS 5. If this is the cause of your duplicates, simply delete them from your iPod (either directly, or while connected to iTunes).

What do you mean delete them directly? It's not like the Touch has a delete button for music on it. I wish it did.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
What do you mean delete them directly? It's not like the Touch has a delete button for music on it. I wish it did.
If you have iOS 5, it does. Swipe your finger across a song name from left to right, then you'll see a Delete button. Note that you can only delete songs one at a time.

Darnit

If you have iOS 5, it does. Swipe your finger across a song name from left to right, then you'll see a Delete button. Note that you can only delete songs one at a time.
wow! Thank you! I never new this. Now when I sync my iPod again will it just add those 2 again?

Darnit

Well, given the frustration I've had lately, I can't say for sure what will happen! Are you auto-syncing or do you manually manage the content on your iPod?
I go back on and off sometimes. Wi-Fi syncs pretty slow. Anyway, no it doesn't re add it. Thanks for telling me about that delete on the Ipod. Had no clue. There's one last weird thing though. When I go to albums for this specific song it actually shows the artists name underneath it, when it's just supposed to show the song title. I deleted the artist in info, synced, then it's just blank underneath the song and a huge box.

Darnit

Sounds like the song is tagged as "Part of a compilation" if you see that.
Yeah that's what I'm assuming now. Strange I checked off compilation and it synced the same song twice again kept one in the same one as the other compilation. Even when they both are unchecked compilation they still go together. This operating system is smarter than I am. I'm not sure how to get past that but eh whatever I won't let that bother me. Thanks for your help. Have a good rest of the week:)