Why is non-embedded artwork taking up 500% more space on iPod Classic

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Max Dread

Hi all

Following on from this thread:

http://forums.ilounge.com/ipod-classic-legacy-ipods/280741-how-tell-if-my-mp3s-have-embedded-artwork.html

If anyone has a moment (anyone who does not embed artwork that is), would you mind comparing your PC Hard Drive and iPod in terms of how much space they use for the same amount of artwork?

I am using Foobar iPod Manager to transfer. I have one cover.jpg file per album, and even though I have the exact same artwork on my PC Hard Drive and iPod, the iPod uses 145MB more storage space (about 500% I think!). I've no idea if this is just how the iPod stores artwork, or if there is another reason. I'd be curious to see how yours looks and/or to hear why this happens.

Cheers

Max

cjmnews

Staff member
The non-embedded artwork is in an uncompressed format instead of JPG thus taking up more space for an uncompressed format.

They do this because it is faster to just show pixels as they are on an iPod rather than having to interpolate and decompress.

Max Dread

Aha! Right... That explains it then. Thank you very much. I have been trying to get to the bottom of this for a week or two now and am glad to finally get there. I wonder how common knowledge this and others don't seem to know.

It is ironic actually. The reason I did not embed artwork was because I wanted to save the space on the iPod (every MB counts IMO). Had I known then what you've told me now, I'm not too sure I would have bothered as the difference between the two methods is so much smaller now.

I am interested in what the iPod does with the jpegs and how it does it. Is there anywhere I can read more?

Many thanks

cjmnews

Staff member
The iPod renders the jpgs. I don't think there is any documentation that you can read on it.

They use the uncompressed images for speed. The song changes will show the art faster without embedded art.