Why is my mp3s quiet?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

sparks9

When I rip and compress my mp3s (I use EAC/LAME/VBR-extreme) they get very quiet compared to the original cd. Especially when i plug my iPod to the stereo.
So is it possible to rip the songs lounder (as the original sourse is)??

docevi1

Website
students.ncl.ac.uk
There is a freeware tool called MP3Gain which will enable you to adjust the volume. What software are you using in conjunction with the Lame encoder? It could just be a setting.

Where are you noticing the soungd volume change, on the iPod or the PC? Could it be you have SoundCheck enabled or you have one of the volumes (usually hidden) lower?

Stefan

neo7288

*~ZWAN~*
do you have to re-rip everything or can you use it to adjust the volume on the mp3s you already have on your comp.?:confused:

Gebbly

Is it a european bougth IPod?
If so presumably you have encountered that rather annoying EU regulation about maximum volume output of personal music players.

In 1.2.6 apple tweaked the firmware to have a lower max volume to meet this EU law.

sparks9

Gebbly said:
Is it a european bougth IPod?
If so presumably you have encountered that rather annoying EU regulation about maximum volume output of personal music players.

In 1.2.6 apple tweaked the firmware to have a lower max volume to meet this EU law.
yeah I know about that, so I went and downloaded the US firmware and installed it.

neo7288

*~ZWAN~*
Ok, ive tried the MP3gain and it works for most of my MP3s but on some of the them the volume is still low...i dont know what to do....

SouthsideIrish

I've been noticing the same thing since upgrading to 1.2.6, and no it's not a European iPod, so I now have to increase the volume of all of the songs in XPlay, otherwise increasing the volume all of the way is not good enough for me.

Bill McNair

b0f

sparks9 said:
yeah I know about that, so I went and downloaded the US firmware and installed it.
Sparks what settings did you have to change to get the US firmware to install?

BigBohn

Its not the volume of the mp3, its something with the signal output of the headphone amp or line out into a receiver like a head or poweramp. I find the same problem, I must turn the iPod to max with the receiver at 60% (this yields distorted bass), or put iPod at 50-70% with receiver at 70-90% (clean bass; recommended).

From what I have been told, MP3Gain should be used primarily to lower mp3s with too high dB levels, or distortion (clipping), so the EQ setting in the iPod don't further distort the mp3. If its not distorting with a typical EQ setting you would use, then the mp3 is fine.

ModelCitizen

Website
modelcitizen.mine.nu
I think that the output of the line out and headphone out is just not high enough. This is certainly the case with my European 30gb WiPod. Unfortunately I have found no-one who has been able to make their European Win iPod think it is a US one and reinstall the software If this is what is required.. it may be that there is US and European specific firmware.. but no-one seems quite sure.
However, it may be that it is only the hesdphone output that is lower on the European models (the stupid French law only governs headphone output, however it is possible that line out volume and headphone output may not set independantly by the firmware... i.e. Apple, by reducing the headphone output volume may have also reduced the line out volume).

I find that my line out signal is not high enough to drive my car stereos and home hifi correctly (i.e sound is weedy and thin).

Using MP3Gain with the makers recommended gain output of 89db only serves to reduce the colume still further... to get anywhere near a good volume I have to use a setting much higher than that (over 97!).. which is way above the clipping level.

If anyone has any more info about this I would be very grateful to receive it. There is a thread in the Apple forums but it is far from conclusive... one guy reckons he has managed to fool the software into thinking his iPod is a US one by reinstalling the firmware after having changed *all* his Mac settings to European and rebooting and then restoring his iPod with the firmware. However he is talking about the Gen1 iPod and a Mac. I have a new iPod (with v2.00 firmware) and a PC!

I have another five days in which I can return my iPod as unsatisfactory and get a full refund from Apple (thre UK allows 14 days for this from date of receipt of item). Unless I can find an answe to this problem I am afraid I will have to return it.

SouthsideIrish

And I know it's not the volume of the mp3. Ever since I upgraded my firmware the volume has been too low, so I'm not having problems with the mp3, I'm having problems with the firmware. If it was a problem with the mp3's then it would have always been too low, but this is not the case, as it only started after my last firmware upgrade.

Why don't you install the xPlay trial. Then go into the songs folder, hit control-a, right click and bring up properties, and adjust the volume to 75%. It's annoying but I have to do this for every song, otherwise the volume is too low.

Might be able to do this in EphPod, but I don't use it.

Bill McNair

Last edited: