Why iPod Nano is perfect for Audio Books

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

robert

Retired
4GB is Perfect for audio books.

After holding a nano in the Apple store the first week of nano introduction, I fought the urge for only one week more before I just had to have one and gave in. It is just perfect for audio books, half a day or more of music, ALL Outlook Contacts and Calendar with an auto synch just for them (with only 4GB, you have to do manual synch for audiobooks and music), back up for Quicken and select documents.

So easy to use and unobtrusive little thing. It is amazingly tiny!
Fits in hand, pocket, wherever.
Perfect exercising companion
Beautiful and easily read color LCD – much easier than 4G B&W
Does Photos
Shows cover art on downloaded books and music – kinda tiny, but center select button shows cover art filling LCD.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Requires upgrade from Griffin iTrip, which doesn’t fit nano:
Kensington 33185 digital transmitter/charger $57 at amazon, incl shipping
So cool. Has lighted digital freq read out and three preset buttons. (To overcome interference, always run iPod at highest possible volume and control from radio.)
Kensington uses wire as antenna, so hang the nano from auto mirror on the Kensington wire, dangling for convenient access to iPod controls
Turning off ignition turns off nano if DC power supply cuts off with ignition. No more lost places because book kept playing when you stopped the car and forgot to stop the iPod.
Dangling this way shows off to fellow motorists that you have a cool nano.
Kensington unit does not go below 88.3, but finally after unwinding and stretching out the wire I found it would cleanly override significant static or sound on raw radio tuned to that frequency if I turned the iPod nano volume up to 70-100%.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Requires downloading iPod updater 2005-9-23 for nano. I have not connected my 4G to computer since, but I think I will say no to new updater for it until Apple fixes the bugs.

Stop watch for exercise
Multiple time zone clocks

Doesn’t freeze with homemade mp3 or m4b bookmarking files – haven’t yet tested mono or longer files

No hard drive to skip, wear out, fail, or damage with a drop or knock.

Smart Playlists update away from computer. Playcount = 1, goes off the smart playlists (as iPods did before updater bug, after going from playlist or audiobook category and back in).

Must be protected, especially black ones, against scratches:
Found this cool stick-on 8 piece stick-on vinyl cover on ebay that is like a clear coat of paint (colors too) for$10, including shipping, for two sets of "covers" Does not increase size of Nano as does my evo2 for 20gb iPod. Gotta have a steady hand to apply, though with soapy water can slide vinyl about til straight.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5808192174&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
To see instructions on how the vinyl is applied, go to
http://www.vinzdecals.com/faq7-2.html
The instructions do not show that there are also narrow strips for each side, top, and bottom. The side pieces -- but not top and bottom pieces -- need trimming slightly.

I don't know how it will hold up, but the back looks like a mirror, the front barely looks as if it has protection. Looks great and I will post after some experience on how well it protects.

Apple discussion has tons of posts on nano covers and I am sure iLounge does also, but I like the thin vinyl sheet protection that does not in any way increase the remarkable tiny size of the nano. It just looks cool.

Requires USB 2.0 computer connection for mac or PC:
Charges on USB 2.0. USB is the ONLY connection provided. Will not connect with firewire connection -- nano LCD displays that firewire connection is not supported!
Will charge with a G4 or color wall charger – has same base connection.
Does have the 1/8” stereo sound-out connection,
Does not have the second receptacle that the remote and iTrip utilize.

Apple has admitted to screen cracking problem, so it will be replaced if that happens

Battery life is rated at 8 hours.

Nano synch with Outlook Contacts and Calendar:

Not nearly a PDA, but every time nano is connected to computer, nano will auto synch Outlook or Outlook Express contacts and put all in your nano contacts.
Auto synchs Outlook (not express) Calendar and places ALL appointments in nano calendar.
These two synch processes can be stopped by clicking X in iTunes
R click nano icon in iTunes> iPod options>check synch Outlook Calendar and Contacts

Nano contents for Robert’s audiobookphile iPod nano:

536 mb; 12.8 hours of music (for the dentist chair or when not in mood for audio book)
2.1 gb; 3.2 days of audio books
718 kb; Outlook Contacts – auto synch every time connect – just check off synch on iPod options
168 kb; Outlook Calendar – auto synch every time connect – check off as above
Album of 172 Burning Man photos
Total used 2.7 gb; 1.03 gb remains free

So, I still have room for my 38 mb Quicken back up files (sounds low, doesn’t it?) or more music. Could add only key documents since My Documents total 6.4 gb. Guess I will have to keep 4G 20 GB for all the Harry Potter books for grandkids listening and for total backup.

Did misplace my nano for a while yesterday. So small, it is easy to overlook or cover.
Will Have to clear read books more diligently than with my 4G iPod.

Plenty adequate space for audio books and the key items listed above and if combined with clear off read book discipline, a great choice for the audiobook reader who doesn't want or need their entire CD collection with them. Easy to use, practically identical to 4G operation with a few more options.

With the recent advances in flash memory, I am betting that we will soon see much larger memory in same or slightly larger packaging.

Last edited:

Stensvaag

Law Prof
Website
soli.inav.net
robert said:
Kensington 33185 digital transmitter/charger $57 at amazon, incl shipping
So cool. Has lighted digital freq read out and three preset buttons. (To overcome interference, always run iPod at highest possible volume and control from radio.)
Kensington uses wire as antenna, so hang the nano from auto mirror on the Kensington wire, dangling for convenient access to iPod controls
Turning off ignition turns off nano. No more lost places because book kept playing when you stopped the car and forgot to stop the iPod.
Two questions, Robert:

1. This apparently works for the nano, even though the Kensington site does not mention that?

2. I don't understand how turning off the ignition automatically turns off the nano. Can you wise us up?

Thanks!

John-Mark

robert

Retired
Re: Re: Why iPod Nano is perfect for Audio Books

Stensvaag said:
Two questions, Robert:

1. This apparently works for the nano, even though the Kensington site does not mention that?

2. I don't understand how turning off the ignition automatically turns off the nano. Can you wise us up?

Thanks!

John-Mark
Kensington does work for the nano. I contacted them to ask if it worked before I bought. Do miss 87.9 frequency that iTrip has, but 88.3 works for me in the highly cluttered Atlanta FM market even though there is some noise and intermittent transmission on that frequency when not using Kensington. I think the secret is to play iPod at highest volume possible without distortion, controlling listening volume on radio, and to stretch out the Kensington cord. Haven't tried out other frequencies, but nice to have three pre set buttons. Kensington has a simple up and down frequency scan button.
There is a Kensington review in iLounge.

The charger/transmitter plugs into a cigarette lighter to connect with the nano base (same connection as prior iPods). When the cigarette lighter loses power as the ignition is turned off the iPod stops playing just as the iPod does when its ear buds are removed. Of course, if you happen to have an always-on DC power source in your auto, this will not happen.

BTW, my nano fit in daughter's iMotion speakers for iPod and also fits in dock connector for iPod -- don't think pc will recognize it when connected to firewire card.

Thinking about a nano problems:

When I plug my nano into my second-home computer it will attempt to update contacts and calendar from calendar and contacts not always up to date. Wondering if it best to connect with the key combination (which I cannot remember) to prevent auto synch to avoid calendar and contact update.

Also not sure if this computer has a USB 2.0 card. I have some not-yet-listened-to conversions and audilbe downloads on the second computer, which I want to download them to nano. It may just be easier to take my external drive with me and load those onto it and back home to put on nano. Of course, I can download the audible files on my home computer.

Also now remember that I have not yet personally tried a bookmarking mp3 file on the nano because I like to listen at faster speed. So, until I get a narrator who doesn't listen well at faster, I will use m4b converted files. Will report on mp3 files first time I use. About to put an OverDrive file on my nano. I will listen to it both ways and post results. If Linda Greenlaw listens well at faster, will listen to most of it that way.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/accessories/product/C97/P0/

Kensington Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger

Company: Kensington
Model: Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger [Edit: Model 33185]
List Price: $79.99 [Edit: $57, incl shipping, at amazon.com]

Category: Car KitsFM Transmitters

Description:
All-in-one Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger plays and charges iPods using the car’s FM radio and DC power source. Convenient push button operation with [lighted] digital display [and three pre-set buttons]. Patented Aerielle wireless technology for superior audio fidelity. For iPod or iPod mini [and nano] with dock connector. 5-year limited warranty and free technical support.

Features:

All-in-one digital FM transmitter and charger plays iPod tunes through the car’s FM radio.
Simultaneously charges iPod using the car’s DC power source (cigarette outlet).
Transmits iPod tunes through any available FM radio frequency.
Simple up/down button speeds frequency selection and three programmable buttons lock in station presets.
Patented Aerielle wireless technology enhances noise reduction and stereo separation.
Safety fuse protects iPod from power spikes.
For iPod or iPod mini with dock connector.
5-year limited warranty and free technical support.

Last edited:

robert

Retired
Nano crawls "song" names. Have an mp3 and m4b on nano now.

Just realized that nano crawls a highlighted name in playlists. This brings up, or 'crawls' in letters large enough to read, the entire file name so that you know which file of a book you are about to select. A nice little improvement, especially for the small screen nano, from G4 which frequently truncates the file number off the screen.

Just put a converted book onto nano in two versions -- one a bookmarking mp3, the other a homemade m4b. Will try both, but the narrator sounds OK at faster speed, so.... limited testing for now. Initially, each plays fine.

Last edited:

robert

Retired
Which iPod to buy exclusive audio book listen/Apple not making non-color click wheel

mdelcotto wrote on 10-11-2005 01:11 AM:
Robert,

I have been reading your instructions about downloading audiobooks in the ipod lounge.

I want to purchase an IPOD to use exclusively for audiobbok listening from my library.

I'm sure you know what my issue is. Would you be willing to help me out with a solution?

I would be forever grateful, I don't want to have to buy an iRiver!

Thanks,
mdelcotto
You definintely want an iPod, but you will have to follow the guides, use Markable, and figure out how to convert OverDrive and NetLibrary books to bookmarking iPod files! CD's are pretty easy.

I think you have three choices for an "audio book only" ipod: A nano, A mini, A 20GB plain screen. Apple appears to have stopped manufacturing non-color iPods as well as iPod minis. If you go to the Apple Store, all iPods shown, with the exception of the shuffle, are color screen. No minis, no plain-LCD click wheels.

There are still plain-LCD 20GB and mini iPods available, but I predict that new-in-box of these models will soon be in short supply.

Having just yesterday shopped iPods with plain screen and minis for my daughter in law, I found the best deals were the following at MacMall:

20GB click-wheel plain LCD $229.95 including cover and fm transmitter (free with rebates -- be sure to add to order).
4GB nano free fm transmitter (rebate), $244
2GB nano with free (rebate) fm transmitter $194
4GB mini with free FM transmitter, engraving, and carrying case (rebate) $194
6GB mini with free FM transmitter, engraving, and carrying case $244
20GB HP ipod plain screen refurbished $195

You will want some music -- for the dentist chair, sleeping on a plane, or similar situations when listening to an audio book is not desireable or pratical. 4gb nano is sufficient for 12 hours of music and several audio books and sooo cool and tiny. The 20 GB iPod or 4-6 GB mini are good all round choices.

May need to act quickly.

No telling what Apple is going to announce tommorrow -- probably color video iPods.

Robert

Last edited: