Why I like old iPods better

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kainjow

Website
www.kainjow.com
The main reason I like the old iPods is their design:

The old iPods used a simple, scroll wheel with the menu, play/pause and back/forward buttons around it. This is such a convenient setup because you can easily navigate your way through the iPod with one hand (and one thumb).

Also, this design is unique. Most, if not all, mp3 players have a navigational control and then other buttons elsewhere on the player.

This is where the new iPod comes in. It looks to me like all the other mp3 players. Buttons "scattered" about and then your scroll wheel. Not very inovative to me.

I think Apple took a step back in design on these new iPods. What were they thinking?

Joe

Website
www.hamsterdance.com
As a new iPod owner, I find no difficulty at all operating the unit with one hand, however I must admit I think I would like the buttons around the touch wheel better I think the reason why them moved them is because they had to make them bigger for the touch function (so you finger would fit in the button).

MikeM

Retired
i like the older ones better. i certainly wouldn't mind if mine was as thin as a new 10gb though.

the sharp edge around the front of mine looks nicer to me than the roundy new style. i definitely didn't like the touch buttons. i'm sure with practice i would get better with them but when i tried them, they didn't always respond right away. when that happened, my natural reaction was to press harder, which of course is wrong. you need to pick up your finger and press again. my buttons aren't backlit, but i don't need it because i can feel the physical buttons and i know which one is which based on its location around the wheel.

the proprietary port on the bottom scares me. anyone who has ever owned a device with a proprietary port knows this trouble. when the next models come out that use a differnet port, finding the latest attachments isn't easy. early palm pilot models all seemed to have different connectors. i work for a company who makes a gps unit and finding cables to attach the gps to the multitude of pda ports is a ridiculous task. and anyone who has ever owned an apple newton 2x00 knows the pain.

really the dock and the thinner design are the only things that i feel i'm missing out on. and that's not enough to get me to upgrade. and it definitely leaves me feeling like i have the better ipod.

NiTRO

Pleather BarcaLounger
I'm with you Mike. I do like the thinner size and actually don't mind the rounded edges of the new one. I also like the back-lights but I really prefer the original button configuration. For the near future I just hope we get some new features in the next firmware update so I won't be as tempted to trade my old faithful 2nd gen 10 gig in for the flashy new 3rd gen 15 with the "scattered buttons".

mrkablooey

NiTRO said:
I'm with you Mike. I do like the thinner size and actually don't mind the rounded edges of the new one. I also like the back-lights but I really prefer the original button configuration. For the near future I just hope we get some new features in the next firmware update so I won't be as tempted to trade my old faithful 2nd gen 10 gig in for the flashy new 3rd gen 15 with the "scattered buttons".
I prefer the "old style" because that's what I have ;) got it for $199 at Best Buy about 1.5 wks ago (10GB touchpad). I don't know what "new features" would be useful except some of you guys like the OTG playlists. I have everything grouped by album so there's no real draw for OTG for me. I could care less about top-ratings, etc. I'm glad they added AAC to it so I can use the downloads from Apple Music Store... other than that, it had everything a music player needs to have!

dean0

i think the older one better "looks" wise, although i have never seen the new one up close, and i hear that changes things quite a bit.

i understand why apple changes the button placement (too many touch sensitive buttons that close would be a big pain), but i like the "speaker" look to the old ones.

Bakerman

Not sure yet

I have a version 2 20 GB iPod. I have been so #### happy with it that I went out and bought a mac and switched from Windows.

I have really been happy with the iPod, but I am one of those people who lives on gadgets and I am fighting the urge to buy a new 30.

I have only seen the ones on the web, and on TV. I will go to a store where they are and look at them soon, just to get the full effect of the visual stimuli. After I can actually see one I will make up my mind if I like the new ones better or not.

My biggest fear is that I will buy one after seeing it, and in the process spend $500 that I do not have to spend to replace a perfectly good 20.

profbobo

Punk
I had a 2nd gen 10 gig WiniPod and now have a 15 gig new model.

Aesthetically, I really liked the 10 gig better ... the button layout was nice, and while no moving parts to gunk up is nice, nothing really beats a nice tactile pushbutton sometimes.

Practically though, I think the 15 gig wins out. Although I didn't like the proprietary port at first, I think it's really opening the iPod up to a lot of nice accessories (remotes, anyone?) and the dock lineout is excellent. I can't wait to get a dock with IR, but that's another thing altogether ...

The profile is strikingly slimmer too, which is always great. And personally, I like the rounded edges. The layout, as I said before, sorta bugs me, but not enough to stop me from upgrading.

On The Go playlists are great, the screen is sharper, and I like the customizable menus. I don't know if it's perceived or what, but the gaps between songs also seem to be shorter (albeit with that annoying pop between songs), which is also excellent.

Impulse29

Many people think that the new iPods' button layout is crap, but others love it... for the 4th generation, Apple should make it so that people can move the buttons around, and lock them (don't know how this would be possible). So that everyone can choose what they want :)

Thumbtwiddler

kainjow said:

I think Apple took a step back in design on these new iPods. What were they thinking?
They were thinking.. "This would cost less to manufacture".

Before you consider that a compelety selfish thought on their part, consider that they did give the drive capacity a bump without changing the price point.

d33t3r

i agree that the old one is more aestheically pleasing. i have no plans of upgrading my old 5 gig ipod. i actually even prefer the rotary wheel to the touch wheel. it's just so smooth.

JoeSchmo

If I had a choice between both a (new not used) G2 10GB ipod and a new 15GB ipod, i'd probably have to compare them side-side in hand. I tend to like the classic design a little better...it seems to have the look and feel of a true audiophile type of device. However, the newer one is awfully sleek (and thin) and reflects current times. How would you feel if Grado came up with a new look to their very outdated SR60/80 headphones...say even a portable "streetstyle" version ;)

Anyhow I think both have appeal...so it's really a matter of personal taste (and remember change is sometimes a good thing -- even hair styles ;) )

Btw, what is this thread doing in a Mac specific forum?

d33t3r

How would you feel if Grado came up with a new look to their very outdated SR60/80 headphones...say even a portable "streetstyle" version
well said. i would freak if grado were to do such a thing to my SR60s, which is why i suppose i like the old one more. in any case, they're both great gadgets and both are equally functional.

mike273

Website
www.mikeserieys.co.uk
One thing that I'm surprised nobody's picked up on is the issue of backlighting the buttons. Sure, it's quite iconic, and the lit up screen and buttons looks great on the posters, but I have to make the point - if the buttons were still around the scrollwheel, you wouldn't need to backlight them as everyone knows where they are, and crucially, you can't miss them, as you can with these solid state things.

As with the new models, well it's hit and miss. It's smaller, lighter, and bigger capacities fit inside a smaller shell. However it does look like a bar of soap from above, it uses horrible proprietrary connections, and the new size was seemingly made possible by sacrificing the battery life - definitely not a good thing.

sammermpc

Just browsing over these posts, as a concerned purchaser of a new (yet unarrived) 15gb model - Just in black and white, is the 3rd generation an improvement over the 2nd, regardless of loyalties, general feeling, vibe, authenticity, and so forth - is the 3rd gen flat out better? Because if it isn't...man, i coulda gotten a 2nd gen 20 gig for less =/

JoeSchmo

I think folks opinions are somewhat split, and if you go by a small sample poll (which might not even block repeat voters?) it is split down the middle.

So I guess it really depends on your preferences and what's important to you ... see this posting if it helps any.

Sorry no Yes or No answers...you need to do your homework :D

sac19143

After purchasing the 30GB IPod and comparing it to my 20GB IPod, I would choose my 30GB over my 20 GB. They are both great in their own ways. I just like the slimmer design and the OTG playlist. The only negative with the new one is the short battery life. I'm getting only 7 1/2 hours with no blacklight and volume halfway.

kainjow

Website
www.kainjow.com
Yes if you are buying an iPod for the first time get the new ones. But I'm just holding back. Even if I had the money for a new iPod, I probably wouldn't buy it. I still like the simplicity of the original iPods. That was what it was all about. The new ones are more like normal mp3 players and with the future release of iTunes for Windows more PC users will be buying iPods and the new iPod designs look more like their typical audio players.