Why does my iPad memory fluctuate?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

DR0570

I’m not putting anything new on it but it went from 14.27 GB to 13.83. And it keeps flucoating up and down and eventually down. What is causing that and how do I get it to stop?

cjmnews

Staff member
Lots of reasons: Web browsing (cache growing and shrinking), streaming audio and video (buffering for smooth playback), updates (download and install)...

No, there is no way to stop it, this is a natural part of computer use.

DR0570

What if I empty cache? They say that’s always good for ir. Only thing is I don’t know how to do that.

cjmnews

Staff member
No need to do that unless you are having issues like can’t log into an app or website.

DR0570

I really should empty my cache, it seems my memory is fluctuating down. Why does it do that? I don’t load anything else on it yet I it keeps getting smaller eventually. There’s no way to stop this?
the only way I should have less memory is if I load stuff on my iPad, the rest should be the cache I can just empty. What am I missing here that I don’t understand?

cjmnews

Staff member
The space will fluctuate as needed. The cache will fill up as you visit more sites, this makes it faster when you return to sites. Then the cache will empty old stuff as new stuff is cached.

Apps are kind of like a browser too, especially streaming video and picture apps. They have caches of data as well. Especially free to play games that download ads to show you. These caches will fluctuate as well. Some have small caches where only pictures of ads are shown, others have large caches where they show videos or have mini-games for you to see.

Messaging apps are the ones that usually have the largest caches, this is so they can save every picture and video sent and received with your contacts. Not that you really need to be concerned with either, but it is a place where space is regularly consumed. These generally don't decrease, they tend to grow unless you delete conversations with lots of pictures/videos in them occasionally.

Until you run out of space, there is no need to be concerned with it.

DR0570

Ok, so, if I see my memory going down further than I would like it too, if I empty messages with pics, that would help somewhat, right?

cjmnews

Staff member
Yes. I would only bother to do that IF my space was so low it was preventing me from installing an app or downloading a video

DR0570

I’m very frustrate. First off, this pad or site won’t keep me logged in but mainly my memory keeps getting low and I’m not loading anything on it if anything I’m deletin. I even cleared my cache on safari but STIL it’s got 13 GB left to 12 GB left...why????😩 why does it keep going down?

cjmnews

Staff member
Generally when apps update, and they do this regularly, they get bigger. It is rare that it gets smaller. Some apps accumulate data, for example my CSR2 game keeps a picture of every car you own in a cache, so the game uses more storage the more cars I own.

DR0570

I think it’s Safari.. yes I got music on there but it used to around 18.30 now it’s gone up. And Safari is doing it I tried to empty out cache but don’t work and besides i get signed out of all my apps and message boards.

Last edited by a moderator:

DR0570

Ok.... I got rid of my YouTube app...AGAIN. And using YouTube on Safari..... now it’s 18.8.
but I have a feeling it’s not gonna stay there...

DR0570

You know what though, correct me if I’m wrong but it wouldn’t matter if use the apps or safarI browser, the more cache in either the apps or safari, the more memory it’s gonna use up and I can’t empty the cache and stay logged into my apps and message boards so...
is there any solution at all to this problem? 😟

cjmnews

Staff member
There is no problem from my point of view. This is how a computer works.

DR0570

Then what do I keep doing keep emptying out my cache periododicly? It’s gonna be hard resigning into my apps and message boards.

DR0570

It’s doing it again...
ok, my worry is it’s gonna keep going up till there’s no more memory left. How can that be normal? That can permanently damage your iPad, right?

DR0570

FYI I’m only gonna keep my music on here until I get an iPod....

cjmnews

Staff member
Your choice. There is nothing to be concerned with space fluctuations unless you are totally out of space.

DR0570

That’s just it! It’ll fluctuate to the point where there’s no memory left...isn’t that correct?