Why do people complain about battery life?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

BootyBean

malemacuser said:
i get 8 hour with me turning on and off and changing the songs but if i leave it on my desk and play it without touching it then i get my 10 hours of play time.
Is this a 3rd generation ipod?...because those are the ones we are talking about here I bet you have a 2nd generation. If 3g ipod could get 10 hours, I'm sure Apple would be advertising that.

It is frusterating because I would just get a 2nd generation ipod, but Apple, in their profit-madness, won't let the 2nd generation ipods use the new firmware and features. So if I go to 2G, then I gain battery life but lose the new features.

CanaMacPod

CanaMacPod
Website
www.ipodlounge.com
BootyBean said:
I've gotta call you on this one. The iRiver ihp-120 is 60 x 19 x 105mm and the ipod 3G is 104.1mm by 60.96 by 18.54mm.

That gives a volumne of 119.7 cc for the iRiver and 117.7 cc for the iPod. So they are basically the same size with the ipod being a TINY bit smaller.

Yet the ipod's spec battery life (8hrs) is exactly 1/2 of the ihp-120 (16hrs). So I'm not going to accept small size as their excuse for abysmal battery life.
Interesting. So if it's not the small size that made Apple compromise, then what was it? Why does iPod have half the battery life of it's competitors?

MikeM

Retired
noryen said:

iPod:
630 mAh lithium ion battery
60 mW max power output (30mW per channel)
104 dB max sound level

iRiver iHP-120:
1300 mAh lithium ion battery
40 mW max power output (20mW per channel)
90 dB max sound level

So we can essentially see that the iRiver has nearly twice the battery capacity as the iPod, however it produces less power to the headphones (e.g. lower max volume).

It's generally considered that noise level above 85dB for a prolonged period of time is unsafe.
It all varies based on which headphones you are using though. If I plug my sennheiser 580's into the iPod, it takes about 90% volume to get them to a decent volume in my ear. I'm guessing the iRiver wouldn't even do that.

So, the iPod battery is smaller and suffers from having to put out more power [which can be both good or bad, depending on your set-up].

Does the iPod get better life using the line-out versus the headphone jack? It shouldn't be working nearly as hard to output a line-level signal.

I would test but I'm stuck in 2G land...

dynomite

Website
www.freewebs.com
wow on my old discman which i hate because it just stopped working all of a suddon, i used to listen to my music so loud my ears were ringing afterward. I don't think thats to good for you either. Ipod rocks!

Hamdy

Do you think that a firmware update could do any good to salvage some battery life? Or is it simply the battery itself is too small?

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
CanaWinPod said:
Interesting. So if it's not the small size that made Apple compromise, then what was it? Why does iPod have half the battery life of it's competitors?
I have to give Apple the benefit of the doubt and say that possibly during the design and build stage of the 3 G's that a battery as small as those available to the iRiver, Dell and Zen players with as much up time as they have might not have been an option for the iPod.

You have to remember that to us the 3rd Gens are the new world of the iPod but as far as what the 'Pod is compared to it is 6 months old. That?s like 2 in "tech years". ;)

That?s why I am anxious to see how Apple responds with the 4th Gen.

MikeM

Retired
There's also more supply issues for Apple. A company may have developed a smaller component but if they can't produce it in the large quantities Apple needs, it can't be used.

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
Exactly. So while I still believe too much time was shaved off the 3rd Gens and at the very least Apple should have stayed with the batteries they used in the 1st and 2nd Gens its hard to fault Apple for the capacity that current players hitting the market today have.

I just hope they don't repeat this mistake in the next Gen because battery life is going to be one of the top factors in my decision for a new player next year. I will sit on my hands, and wallet so to speak, to see how Apple responds and then make my decision.

Last Ipod

If the 4th gen Ipods have a color screen I would think that it would take even more battery life out of it.

I think Apple should adress the battery issue first and foremost.

I would love to see a color screen but I feel battery life is most important as well as getting the best possible sound @ the same time.

Last :)

jhansman

<rant> My God, you people seriously need to get a grip. 6 Hrs? 3 Hrs? Who the h*ll cares? If mine only runs for 3 hrs., then that's how long I use it. Then, I recharge it. Big frickin' deal! When it's not in my car (charging, BTW) then it's in its dock, charging. Yeah, I'm not a runner, biker, roller skater, or any of those other things that take you out and cause you to listen to your iPod every single minute, but somehow I manage. With all that's going on in the world today, I would think you all had something more important to worry and complain about. </rant>

Phil

Website
www.staind-online.com
You're whining about other people's whining. How is that more important than their whining?

Half the battery life means recharging twice as often, which means doubling the number of charge cycles per unit time, which means reducing the battery's overall lifetime by half. Hence, the iPod will last you 18 months before the battery dies, while the iRiver or Karma is only at 1/2 or 2/3 of its battery's lifetime.

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
jhansman said:
Yeah, I'm not a runner, biker, roller skater, or any of those other things that take you out and cause you to listen to your iPod every single minute,
Then you answered your own statement. Obviously it doesn?t apply to you so don't comment if others talking about it bothers you so much. And with all the more important things going on in the world today what are you doing commenting on a thread which doesn't even apply to you?

Seems like a waste of time on your part no?

There?s a whole world that would benefit from better application of your time.

Last edited:

BootyBean

Indeed, I guess I've just been complaining about nothing. Just because one of the most respected and expensive mp3 players out can't even last me through a work day isn't reason to complain.

I should be a good Apple user and love everything 100% that they make! I should go and thank Steve Jobs for allowing me to even get one hour out of his fine product before it goes dead.

And I should pay premium for the smallest large capacity player out there and then lug around my charger with me everywhere I go. That makes sense.

zapod

Gadgeteer
BootyBean said:
I've gotta call you on this one. The iRiver ihp-120 is 60 x 19 x 105mm and the ipod 3G is 104.1mm by 60.96 by 18.54mm.

That gives a volumne of 119.7 cc for the iRiver and 117.7 cc for the iPod. So they are basically the same size with the ipod being a TINY bit smaller.

Yet the ipod's spec battery life (8hrs) is exactly 1/2 of the ihp-120 (16hrs). So I'm not going to accept small size as their excuse for abysmal battery life.
Fair enough. But the iPod is smaller, if only just, and offers twice the HD capacity. I guess iRiver are using a higher capacity, slightly larger cell in their unit. Has anyone taken one to bits to find out?

Like my camcorder, the supplied battery is exactly the same dimensions and near enough the same weight (without using scales) as a higher capacity secondary battery.

loGan

Ipod therefore I am
It is always nice to have more of something but i wonder how often some of the people moaning here about battery life have actually run out their Ipod.

I travel a great deal though we are not talking flights to New Zealand and I have only every run out my Ipod on one occasion and this was because I didn't charge it over night once when i could have done.

I guess I am used to charging things over night because I do this with my mobile phone and I guess that I never end up listenign to my Ipod for more than 6-7 hours in any one day. Obviously some people do or they don't charge their Ipod on a daily basis but at least for me it is not really a problem.

Having said that longer battery life is always nice but I certainly aren't complaining.

BootyBean

I agree that I probably wouldn't run out if I got 6-7 hours per charge...I would want more but I might be able to live with that much.

I think most of the complainers here, including myself, are only getting 3.4-4 hours, which is the problem.

iPodFreak

Obsessed iPodder
Website
www.xanga.com
Well, as for my experience.. the louder i keep the ipod at the less time i get.. standing around with the volume maxxed and the equilizer on i get roughly 3-4 hours X_X. whenever i start to run low on batts i plug it into my powerbook ^^ cuz it transfers batt. from the powerbook into it through firewire ^.^"