Why do people complain about battery life?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

KraziKid

Last night i decided I wanted to see how long my battery would go before the iPod shut itself off. It ended up being 8 Hours 34 minutes. This is well above what Apple states. I plan on doing the test again today with the EQ on, but I don't expect it to go under 6.5-7 hours.

nucleartool

wouldnt a real world test be more like, play an album. turn off, turn on, play different album etc.. If the thing is playing for 8 hours straight then it will be in optimum conditions.

Maybe play an album a day, see if the battery keeps it's charge of 8 hours over the week? anyway, i agree, i'm sure 8 hours is plenty time, my cd-player gives that. the difference is that i ahve to physically take out the batteries, charge them, put them back in. Ipod you just clunk in the dock/powersupply.

Seems no big deal really unless you travel a lot but then you know what to expect.

iMartin

Running the same test I get 9 hours. However as soon as I select a few albums or different tracks this drops significantly to around 4-5 hours on some occasions. Given that I do travel a lot this is disappointing for me. When I read 8-10 hours on the Apple site I thought this would be under normal conditions.

I have purchased a car charger which helps but for long flights I am reduced to watching the poor in flight movies!!!!!

The competition lasts a lot longer - but doesn't look so good :)

Martin

BootyBean

KraziKid said:
Last night i decided I wanted to see how long my battery would go before the iPod shut itself off. It ended up being 8 Hours 34 minutes. This is well above what Apple states. I plan on doing the test again today with the EQ on, but I don't expect it to go under 6.5-7 hours.
We complain because we are not getting the battery life that you are claiming. My 3g ipod, before I returned it, got exactly 3.5hrs before it was dead.

To test I charged it 3 times (charged till it said charged, unplugged and then reconnected it 3 times) just to be sure I had a full battery.

I then told it to play all of my music on repeat. I then just let it sit until the battery went dead...not touching it at all.

That is why "people complain about the battery"

RenaissanceGirl

Website
www.pixelsensei.com
Wow - you get 3.5 hours of battery life? That is insane and I guess that's a good cause for complaint.

I don't know if the battery life is inconsistent but I think mine (30 gig) is pretty good. I haven't really tested it like you guys have but it lasts me throughout the day. I have a one hour commute to work and I work an 8 hour shift and then another hour drive home. Now it's not playing the whole time, maybe I'll turn it off for an hour for lunch and another hour for a meeting. But it pretty much lasts and I personally find no reason to complain about it so far.

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
Very simply we complain because your battery test is not real world. I didn't buy the iPod to play without being touched on my desk for 8 hours. Real world I will turn it on, off, on again, maybe seek through the lists for songs, change playlists, change volume.

I am impressed you get 8 hours that way but until I start playing music for my desk that doesn't help me.

jonmon

Yeah, under Apple "ideal" conditions I got 8 hours 22 minutes.

Under real world conditions (backlight, going through lists, etc.) I think it's around 6 hours

Still good enough depending on your needs.

Hamdy

I think that the 7 or 8 hours are enough for most situations, the only problem is probably long flights with long stop overs where you really need the ipod.. for this situation there is the Belkin Battery Pack which gives "12-15 hours of battery life" on one set of batteries. I plan on getting one before my next trip

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
Hamdy said:
I think that the 7 or 8 hours are enough for most situations, the only problem is probably long flights with long stop overs where you really need the ipod.. for this situation there is the Belkin Battery Pack which gives "12-15 hours of battery life" on one set of batteries. I plan on getting one before my next trip
7 or 8 may be enough for some but I think most of us feel that the 6 to 7 hours that most report getting is just not adequate.
Typical day I am away from home for between 11 and 13 hours. That means around half way through the 'Pod is done. So I should carry around the power adapter to recharge it? No, I don't see this as being a portable solution at all.

Which is why I am increasingly relying on my 2nd Gen again. The battery life of the 3rd Gens is a huge drawback and unless a severe correction is made in the 4th Gen when I TAP for the new iPod it might find a place on Ebay.

dcx693

Setting up the ipod at 50% volume, EQ off, putting on a long playlist and not touching a single button for the duration is simply not a real-world measure of anything. I think I have only once used the ipod in this fashion. Quoting the 8 hour spec is a sales and marketing move - it is not designed to help potential buyers make an informed decision. It is misleading.

BootyBean

Com'on. I'm one of the biggest complainers of the 3g ipod's battery life but I think it IS fair for them to say it lasts X hours (when left just playing without touching it).

Maybe I'm just jaded by all electronic marketing in all of history, but when I read something has x hours of battery life, I always assume that is under ideal conditions.

My problem is that even in ideal conditions, I'm didn't get anywhere near the stated 8hrs. Maybe mine was defective...but reading this forum I see a lot of people with the same problem so either the battery life is just screwey or there are a lot of bad batteries out there.

zapod

Gadgeteer
Don't all manufacturers over egg the pudding when it comes to battery life?

Take solid state units like radios or MP3-Flash players - one reason that battery life can be predicted is that the current drain is fairly consistent during each usage cycle.

But take a cassette or a Minidisc or a HD MP3 Player and if you constantly FFWD or Rewind or skip a track then the mechanisim has to spin up and thus impose a huge drain on the battery.

So Apple are quoting 'ideal' conditions, just like you've found out by playing the unit straight for 8+ hours. Do not Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Sharp et al do the same when quoting MD battery life (usually with an asterisk and the words 'with optional battery pack')?

Yes, Apple have fitted a small battery to the - get this - smallest HD MP3 player. Is it any surprise the battery life is poor?

BootyBean

zapod said:
{snip}
Yes, Apple have fitted a small battery to the - get this - smallest HD MP3 player. Is it any surprise the battery life is poor?
I've gotta call you on this one. The iRiver ihp-120 is 60 x 19 x 105mm and the ipod 3G is 104.1mm by 60.96 by 18.54mm.

That gives a volumne of 119.7 cc for the iRiver and 117.7 cc for the iPod. So they are basically the same size with the ipod being a TINY bit smaller.

Yet the ipod's spec battery life (8hrs) is exactly 1/2 of the ihp-120 (16hrs). So I'm not going to accept small size as their excuse for abysmal battery life.

MikeM

Retired
Isn't the iPod output more powerful than the ihp-120? I would assume that eats into the battery.

I don't understand those specs to well, so I'm not going to pretend I do. But both iriver and apple have the output specs. Maybe somebody could compare and make some sense of them.

BootyBean

I've never heard anything about the ipod's output being higher. I'm not an audiophile so I also don't know crap about that.

The only article I've seen comparing the outputs of the 2 players don't mention output strength. Stereoplay (10-2003) rates the sound quality of the iRiver iph-100 at 37 points, with only 33 points for the iPod but doesn't say anything about the ipod having more powerful output.

SpideyPod

Long Time Podder
Website
stationa.net
To be honest when it comes down to it I think most of us that have been frustrated with our 3rd Gens would be more than happy to own the "second or third smallest HDD MP3 player" if it meant we would get between 12 and 16 hours of battery life.

Of course I am not sure this is the opinion of all but I know I certainly would. Battery life is just as important as storage space, in fact having a lot of one without too much of the other kind of defeats the purpose in many ways.

malemacuser

i get 8 hour with me turning on and off and changing the songs but if i leave it on my desk and play it without touching it then i get my 10 hours of play time.

noryen

Here are the tech differences between the iPod and iRiver.

iPod:
630 mAh lithium ion battery
60 mW max power output (30mW per channel)
104 dB max sound level

iRiver iHP-120:
1300 mAh lithium ion battery
40 mW max power output (20mW per channel)
90 dB max sound level

So we can essentially see that the iRiver has nearly twice the battery capacity as the iPod, however it produces less power to the headphones (e.g. lower max volume).

EDIT--FYI here are some comparisons of Decibel level:
20 dB - Whisper
60 dB - Normal Conversation
80 dB - Vacuum Cleaner
90 dB - Lawnmower
105 dB - Front Row of Rock Concert
130 dB - Jet Engine 100 ft away

It's generally considered that noise level above 85dB for a prolonged period of time is unsafe.

Last edited: