• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Why Did You Choose Your Computer?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Pghmyn

I am part of 2 forums.

One which is mainly PC based, and another which is mainly Mac based. Each have users of both computers (just like these forums), and occasionally there are posts which slam each other OS.

I wanted users of each OS to read this thread and compile all of their opinions in an orderly fashion on why they chose the OS they did. Now, I understand there are users like myself who run both. Although, I do use the Mac more often than the PC for daily tasks. So, I could give a small bit about both.

If you are mainly a PC user, please state why you chose that OS. Same goes for those who use a Mac.

This post will be used to compile all the information together. Please use this thread with discretion to others. If you use a PC, please do not slam or flame those of a Mac...vice verse.

I do not want posts like, "I chose Mac because PC suck!" or "PC is just so much better than Mac!" YOU NEED A REASON BEHIND YOUR STATEMENT!

Thank you!!!

singlestick

I don't care about OS. I use a PC for work and business. The work apps are Windows based, so the personal computer I bought is also Windows based. Also, equivalent Macs are more expensive than my PC, and I am cheap.

Pghmyn

Okay, that's easy enough. You bought your PC because you liked the price. Your work environment is based around Windows, and so are you.

Thanks for the input.

anypats

I have both but I mainly use a Mac. Biggest reason is that I don't have to deal with viruses, spyware, registry problems, or any other maintenance tasks like I was Lways running on the PC. Also, I found that you don't need as much RAM to run A similar PC. Running 2GB on my OSX runs great, yet it lags on Vista (similar processors, video cards, etc.). Also, if I want, I can run Windows on my OSX machine. Lastly, the iLife pack that is included, along with Time Machine make the Mac the only way I'll go from here on out.

Pghmyn

I have both but I mainly use a Mac. Biggest reason is that I don't have to deal with viruses, spyware, registry problems, or any other maintenance tasks like I was Lways running on the PC. Also, I found that you don't need as much RAM to run A similar PC. Running 2GB on my OSX runs great, yet it lags on Vista (similar processors, video cards, etc.). Also, if I want, I can run Windows on my OSX machine. Lastly, the iLife pack that is included, along with Time Machine make the Mac the only way I'll go from here on out.
Fantastic! Just the type of response I was looking for. Thank you!

Sparkee

Not that I really had that much problems with Windows myself I quickly turned into the tech support for my friends and family and grew tired of repeatedly cleaning their systems of spyware and viruses. I used to like playing around with many Linux distros. Since Mac's OS X is also built on the stable Unix code I had to have it and haven't looked back. I just plain liked working in OS X better than Windows and even though the hardware is pricey it is well made quality hardware. As anypats states I also do like the seamless integration of the the iLife suite as well as playing with AppleScripts and Automator.

Pghmyn

Another reason why I bought my Mac as well. Just like you guys, I loved how easy it was to navigate through everything. Also the fact that a Mac computer does not get viruses or spyware, it's phenomenal.

Legoman182182

I was torn between this mid range toshiba with 2.4 ghz, 2gb ram and 260gb and a sony vaio which had a firewire port but less disk space. Each was around £400 and both looked pretty slick. I did look at a mac, but the lowest end one at £800 didn't have firewire, SD, expresslot, DVD RW and so on that I had found on crappy plasticy £150 laptops. The specs were 1.9ghz, 512mb 160gb, which I thought was pretty poor. My experience was exactly like the laptop hunters adverts.

I have now been running vista for two years on two computers (one of which I totaled by dropping it down the stairs). I have never had a virus or a blue screen of death or anything else people seem to think windows is susceptible to. I'm not a major PC expert (I have no idea what the guy above me meant by "registry settings"), but frankly I'm just not an idiot. I don't download and run .exes from dodgy websites so I'm safe. Vista is fast because I haven't set hundreds of programs to start when I turn on or run all the time in the corner and I'm not running it on five year old machines.

My college runs some antiquated windows XP variant, but this wasn't really a motivation to choose windows. I think programs like live photo, iTunes and stuff by adobe are great, and I don't really think the mac software is as much better as it's price tag suggests.

So on balance, I choose this one because it did everything I wanted it to do for the best price, and it looked pretty good to.

Last edited:

S2_Mac

Also the fact that a Mac computer does not get viruses or spyware, it's phenomenal.

Keep in mind, it's not that the Mac is immune to viruses and spyware; it's just that no one's making the effort to compromise Macs on a large scale. The better attitude is, "Mac computers are so far not targeted by virus and spyware writers."

To answer the question, I use Win and Mac; greatly prefer Macs. Started computing as a hobbyist, using a cast-off Altair(!), Ohio Scientific, Kaypro, Apple ][, C-64, etc. My brother-in-law programmed for NASA, so I took a few courses using PDP-11 and some IBM big iron. Loved the Mac interface when it came out, but could only afford an Atari 512 ;-)

Then in '86 I had to run a small newspaper; took one look at the Compugraphic contract costs and went out to buy Mac 512s, a LaserWriter, Aldus PageMaker, and phone cable to network 'em all together; it took less than a day to get the entire office working. In following years we added Mac Plusses, then SEs, then SE/30s. When HyperCard came out in '87 I built a neat little file-locking app that morphed into a CMS system for sales, accounting, and content. Windows just didn't have anything comparable -- plug'n'play networking, native PostScript support, HyperCard, AppleScript -- so I never developed a taste for it.

Now my main work is supporting printed output: PostScript RIPs, imagesetters and plate processing, order entry systems, and print networks. Using Windows NT4 and 2000 (and XP in the last year) on bench-made boxes to run RIP software; store-bought PCs for accounting and apps like UPS WorldShip; Macs for content generation and order-entry. The bench-made Win boxes and Macs have good lifespans; the store-bought PCs seem a bit...cheap ;-)

hyroboarder

Keep in mind, it's not that the Mac is immune to viruses and spyware; it's just that no one's making the effort to compromise Macs on a large scale. The better attitude is, "Mac computers are so far not targeted by virus and spyware writers.

There's that, and the fact that if a vulnerability is detected, apple seeds a patch for it very quickly and no more problem. It would be hard for the other company to seed patch after patch for their myriad of vulnerabilities and problems.

I chose mac because I watched a Jobs keynote once and still haven't escaped the reality distortion field. :)

Legoman182182

This is what I don't understand. What 'myriad of problems' am I meant to be experiencing? I'm just not. Whenever there is a service pack or a security update (every couple of months or so) it's always to keep ahead of the hackers or some improvment I don't even understand or notice. the only crash I have ever had is when halo 2 froze about four months ago and I had to turn it on and of again at the plug.

Last edited:

ipod_fanatic

PC for work and Mac at home; both provided for me, didn't really choose; both are great, though Macs look cooler

Chees

I use Debian linux because it is very customizable, really fast, looks amazing with the GNOME desktop and Compiz Fusion, and is free! Another thing I really like about it is it doesn't ask me to god damn update every two seconds like both Apple and Microsoft want me to do all the time.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Blame on my workplace (all PC), and Engineering College (basically all PC-based). So I learned my PC stuff and stayed with it.

At one point, one of our client wanted to put in a Mac, I did EVERYTHING I could, went kicking and screaming against him getting a Mac (I won). The reason was that there's nothing wrong with a Mac, EXCEPT I HAD TO SUPPORT THE DANG THING! And I didn't know about supporting the Mac platform, and it would be very time consuming for me to spend time to support ONE client with a different platform than everybody else.

I recently saw somebody playing with a Mac, and it's pretty nifty. But not nifty enough for me to switch, as the COST OF SWITCHING would be too high, for the perceived benefit.

If a family/friend ask me, I go, "if u EVER want me to help you, get a PC." If you are willing to learn it yourself, and your other friends have Mac who can help u, go with a Mac.

misper666

i wanted out of windows because of viruses & what-not. also wanted portable, so looked at the next logical choice of apple. chose metal over plastic due to heat issues. got a 120gb / 2.2ghz / 2gb ram MBP for £800, superb deal.

i don't understand 'fanboyism' but i made my choice & am happy. pleasantly surprised to find that, after moving to mac, ALL the problems i had with my ipod had vanished!

i think this was the best thing to do a few years ago, maybe not so now - people i know with windows machines now have ubuntu installed so they are happy also.

R

ReyZero

Depends on what you will use it for. I have mac because I'm more into making movies, into gaming, desktop publishing and other artsy type stuff. It's all in how you plan on using the machine.
What gaming? World of Warcraft is no longer classified as a game to the gamer community. It's more of a baby-sitter aid. Pif~
But seriously, what gaming