Why can't I find the physical backup file that iTunes creates when you manually create a backup?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

cucuzza

Preliminary Information:
Using a PC with Windows 10
iTunes version: 12.10.2.3
iPhone 7 (iOS 13.1.3)

Issue: I cannot find the physical backup file iTunes has made of my phone.

Description of Issue: I press "Backup Now" button under the "Manually Backup and Restore" section when looking at the iPhone on iTunes. I've completed one yesterday morning and I don't see a physical file that is backed up. I know the file is backed up to this location: \Users\(user)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
When I navigate to this location, the folder is empty (inclusive of hidden files).

Questions:
  1. Where is the location of the backup file on my computer?
  2. If it's not under this folder where could it be backed up to? What is the extension of the file?
  3. I'd like to explore the root file system of this backup file, what would be a good program (like iExplorer) (preferably free) that can explore the backup file?

cjmnews

Staff member
  1. You have the right location you are just up 1 level too high (C:\Users\<login>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\<hexadecimal>
  2. The backup is not a file, but a folder. A multi-gigabyte folder. It has a hexadecimal name. The one with today's date (if you backed up today)
  3. Not much to see without a viewer. How To Recover data from an iPhone backup | Geeky Ninja

cucuzza

1. You have the right location you are just up 1 level too high (C:\Users\<login>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\<hexadecimal>
  2. The backup is not a file, but a folder. A multi-gigabyte folder. It has a hexadecimal name. The one with today's date (if you backed up today)
  3. Not much to see without a viewer. How To Recover data from an iPhone backup | Geeky Ninja
Thanks for the reply. The issue is, there is no multi-gigbabyte folder with a hexidecimal name. The "C:\Users\<login>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\" location is literally empty. Could it be that iTunes SAYS that it has created a backup, but never actually did it? I wonder where else I'd find that hexidecimal folder. I've backed up plenty of times before and have gotten that multi-gig hexidecimal folder your speak of, but ever since I got iOS13, it has not created this folder you've mentioned. How can I resolve my issue? Also, do you have a file explorer app for the iPhone root directory for the PC? (I don't have a MAC)

cjmnews

Staff member
That is the exact location mine is writing backups to. iOS 13 and earlier versions. New computer too, Windows 10.

If you go into iTunes, Edit->Preferences, Devices does it show your backups in the upper half of the window?

If you search with quotes for "01" do you get a folder with that name in the results?
In the results is the date modified the same as your last backup? If so, keep that one in mind.
If you click on it, you will go into that folder, there will be hexadecimal files there.

If you click the Properties button in Windows Explorer the Location will have the path to the folder. Highlight that path, copy it, open a new Windows Explorer and in the location bar paste it. Press Enter and you will be in the same folder in a new window.

Now you can press the up arrow button next to the location bar to go up 2 levels and that is where your backups are being written.

cucuzza

I appreciate the suggestions for navigation. This did not work because the folder was completely empty. Yes, I saw the backup in the Edit > Preferences section, but since I'm using a PC, the feature to right click on the back up and show the folder that contains the hexidecimal folder's location is not available.

I found out what the real issue was. It matters if you download iTunes from the Microsoft Windows Store vs. directly from Apple's website. You can tell by opening iTunes and clicking on the Help menu. If you don't see an option for Check for Updates, it means you did download iTunes from the Microsoft Windows Store. This was fixed by uninstalling the version that was apparently downloaded from the Microsoft Windows Store and downloading iTunes directly from Apple's website and reinstalling it.

I guess there are differences in how the update process is handed globally in the Microsoft store vs. locally via Apple's update app. This MUST mean, if you have the version of iTunes from the Microsoft Store and it allows you to make a backup, the hexidecimal folder MUST be saved somewhere else on the PC.

cjmnews

Staff member
I have the Apple version of the app. I refuse to use the Microsoft version as I have seen too many Microsoft version of apps be crippled and not work properly.

I found that the Microsoft Store version stores it in a different place: \Users\<login>\Apple\MobileSync\Backup

cucuzza

I wasn't even aware I had the "Microsoft Version" of the app until I did some further research. Thank you for letting me know the other directory!