WHY can't I EDIT songs in my iTunes Library?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bozojim17

WHY can't I EDIT songs in my iTunes Library? All greyed out. not enabled. :eek:

Windows7 64 BIT / SP1 / Self-built PC
Latest ITunes version 10.4
80GB Classic 5th GEN IPOD

About three weeks ago I posted this message on iTunes for windows @ the APPLE website, and only a few people responded (their ideas are at the bottom) One would think that if you go to the source (apple) and inquire about itunes, someone would know something about this. I even called apple support and they were going to charge me $30.00 to help me. I am hoping someone will know what to do. ;)

I had almost full of content on my 80GB ipod, then I upgraded from XP HOME(32) to Windows7 (64 Bit)

What I did not want to do was to spend time loading All 75GB back on the itunes Library, but decided I should restore the ipod, since it's been acting up a bit. I did not deactivate the last XP OS Computer prior to formatting the hard drive because I thought it would not matter, since the software would be GONE.
So I downloaded another itunes/Quicktime on this new Win7 O.S., and created the same playlists I had before, then dragged each genre/main music folder (ie: Jazz,Country,Reggae,Blues,Classic Rock,etc) into the appropriate folder in itunes.

I clicked on a few songs to edit/change the Info, but they all are greyed out and I cannot edit anything....I never had these problems before.

(Ipod/Itunes Library told me I had authorized four out of five computers for this device...WHAT? There is only one computer, and my one ipod.

A few people told me to try this....
I Plugged in the OL' ipod, Under the SUMMARY TAB, and under the OPTIONS TAB, I changed what I had, which was "SYNC ONLY CHECKED SONGS AND VIDEOS" to MANUALLY MANAGE MUSIC AND VIDEOS"

THEN underneath that, "OPEN ITUNES WHEN IPOD IS CONNECTED", "AND MANUALLY MANAGE MUSIC WERE BOTH CHECKED.

THEN - I went back into my Win Explorer Main Music folder,and under PROPERTIES, I unchecked the READ-ONLY Box, hit APPLY, then OK, then I went back into the itunes library and tried to edit a few songs, but they are all still greyed out and not editable.

I went back into the WIN EXPLORER main Music folder and checked to see if the READ-ONLY was still unchecked, but it automatically reverted back to READ ONLY. :confused:

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP! Maybe all the 'geniuses' that used to work for apple are now working on this site. After my ipod froze up, and left the apple logo on the screen, did not start or close, I took it to the apple store. One 'genius plugged my ipod into some gizmo, then told me my ipod was FRIED, CRASHED, NO LIFE LEFT...and wanted me to fork over $175.00 for a refurbished ipod...NO THANKS, so I took it home called a few higher ups on the apple chain and this very nice gal walked me thru it and it started working again.....some genuine genius.

Code Monkey

Check the security tab for the offending titles. I've had the same periodically recurring problem on Win7-64 with iTunes where a junk owner is assigned to the files. I don't know if iTunes or Win7 is the main culprit, but the result is when you look at the security tab you'll have an owner of gibberish characters, you can't delete that owner but what you can do is this:

1. Select all the offending files and copy.
2. Paste them somewhere other than the same directory. This creates new copies where only you are the owner.
3. Delete the older versions with the junk owner (can't delete that owner, but you can trash its files, go figure).
4. Move the new copies into directory. Since the files are identical and in the same location you won't have any problems from iTunes.

bozojim17

Hello Monkey!
Well, after posting the help messages, I went digging through both my itunes folder on my (C) drive, and then the Music Folder on my( F) Storage drive where I keep all my music files and then went into security and in each line, I made FULL CONTROL, APPLY, then went back into iTunes after plugging my ipod in and clicked on MANUALLY MANAGE TUNES.

I don't know which did it, but now I can edit the songs. To answer your question, I was able to play the songs, but just couldn't edit any of them until now. Thanks for your Reply!