• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Who owns a GPS unit?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Just curious. I got one for Christmas and like it quite a bit. Who else here has what?

Website
www.ilounge.com
I've had a handheld GPS for years -- more for use in the field, and it doesn't really have any meaningful maps on it.

However, I have yet to actually get a street-mapping GPS, mostly as I've tended to find most of them more annoying than helpful... I used to use a Bluetooth GPS with my Palm T3 years ago, and more recently the built-in GPS on my Nokia E90, in many cases just because they were there, but I never considered it a critical feature.... In fact, despite the lack of any location features on the iPhone (until just recently), I much prefer the Google Maps on the iPhone for driving/walking directions, as I don't really need turn-by-turn on-the-go directions -- I just need to look at a map and quickly figure out where I"m going before I leave, and I'm usually okay from there.

What I really get a kick out of is these stories about folks who blindly follow their GPS directions into oblivion, however.... It makes me wonder what's happened to common sense.... :rolleyes:

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
I have a Garmin GPSMap60CS, which is a handheld unit suitable for hiking as well as in the car (I have it loaded with topo and street maps). For hiking I mainly use it for data-logging, but I have done some off-trail hiking where it has helped get from A to B. I have an external patch antenna for extra gain, helps when in the forest. The newer "x" model has the SiRF chipset which supposedly is much more sensitive and doesn't need an antenna as much.

For the car it is decent and does turn-by-turn navigation, but no voice prompts and the screen is a bit small for driving. But in a pinch it is helpful to find a restaurant or navigate to an address.

The Garmin software is very easy to use for picking maps to load, creating routes to upload to the unit, or downloading tracks of where you've been (with altitude profile). The best part is the export utility, which ports your track to Google Earth so you can view your path and rotate it in 3D, very cool!

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
jhollington said:
What I really get a kick out of is these stories about folks who blindly follow their GPS directions into oblivion, however.... It makes me wonder what's happened to common sense.... :rolleyes:
I've seen some of this on the web and I find it interesting. I've stumbled across some TomTom - vs - Garmin - vs - Magellan threads too.

BTW, I've got a TomTom G0 720. Comes in handy when I travel on business. Although I know where most stuff is, I just recently found a Best Buy and Target in Maine that I NEVER even knew existed despite going there a few times a year for the last 8 or 9 years. That should make MikeM laugh.

thedodgyguy

Declined Lounger
There's a satnav in one of my cars and I have a Nokia N95. I rarely use GPS though for my everyday journeys. For where I don't know, I prefer to know where I'm going beforehand so I'll memorise the map before making the journey.

Still, places of interest may be useful. My GPS probably sucks because I've never found that handy or particularly accurate.

Website
www.ilounge.com
I found the places-of-interest on the Nokia E90 to be pretty good, actually, at least in major urban areas, and I'm pretty sure it's the same system used by the N95. Their "City Guides" feature was also quite neat if you're travelling to a major city and willing to pay a few bucks for it, but I particularly liked the idea that you could purchase them online right from the phone itself on an as-needed basis -- ditto for voice-navigation support.

The biggest gripe I had with the E90 built-in GPS was the extremely long lock-on times... It would take up to five minutes sometimes just to find itself, especially if you didn't sit still before trying to obtain a lock.

While the E90 was a nice substitute for a car GPS for occasional use, I think if I actually wanted something more permanent, I'd likely go with the TomTom myself.... I have a friend who has a Magellan in-car unit and swears by it, but I don't think he did much research, as opposed to just buying what looked good at the local Best Buy.

Now that Google Maps on the iPhone has a reasonably decent zone-location feature, however, it does a much more acceptable job for points-of-interest than it used to, and it's fast and surprisingly efficient to use. If you're looking for a nearby restaurant or gas station, you don't really need precise GPS location, and the iPhone's cellular/wifi triangulation gets it close enough that I've been able to actually use it to find something specific in the neighbourhood I'm driving in more than a few times, and it's straightforward enough that I can generally do it while sitting at a stop light.

sswwooppee

I own a Garmin E-Trex. The cheapest one that they offer. I spend a lot of time walking around in the woods alone in the fall. Having that GPS has saved me from getting hopelessly lost several times.

The unit that I have has no mapping feature. It shows you direction to go to a waypoint, where you've been, and serves as a compass. It's not as good as a compass though. You don't want to be dependent on anything that requires batteries in the middle of the woods.

Sparkee

I use a Garmin eTrex Legend for X-Country skiing, cycling and hiking. I also have a Garmin nuvi 360 in the car. It comes in handy when I do hit some big cities I don't know very well. Most of my driving is in familiar territories, but I still find it handy since I find myself having to drive through snow storms quite often. It lets me know where I am even though I can't see very far. It also gives me piece of mind that if I get stuck or lost in a storm I may still be able to give someone my co-ordinates by radio or cell phone.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
I would love a Sarcastic Language Pack for GPSes. They all sound so neutral and mechanical. Some of our mother tongues can be very sarcastic, I know mine is. I would love to gift somebody a GPS with this language pack. U just missed the turn, having a senior moment are we? :D

Anybody has that Germin wristwatch GPS? works good? battery lasts long?

moe_4eva

I bought my fiancée one when we moved, and she loves it. I personally prefer maps the likes of yahoo or google.

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
bobb-mini,
I think the TomTom allows you to upload your own voice - I would imagine your own commands wouldn't be that hard.
You'd soon tire of the sarcasm if it was for every command though so maybe for U-Turns it would work...

melsmusic

We have a handheld Navman, but our main car has GPS as a standard, so we don't use the handheld unless we travel now.

snowdog99

honeybee1236 said:
I don't own a GPS since I prefer to wanda around aimlessly. :)
I do have one - for pretty much the same reason.:D

Used mainly on my motorcycle, it means I can ride around aimlessly going wherever the whim takes me. When I'm thoroughly lost I just press one button and get guided home.

donnabr

I have a Garmin 550c, mainly for work when I'm out of town, but then again my husband says I need to have it installed on my person. Yeah, I'm THAT bad about directions. I like it a lot.