• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Which PC Notebook Should I get?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MartyMcPod

I hope this is okay to ask here, since it's not really about ipods. I have seen other people ask about notebook pcs so I guess it's okay.

Anyway, I need to get a laptop. I will not get a Mac, as I'm not a fan, so you don't need to suggest those.

Overall, I'm just looking for some general thoughts of what you guys have, your friends have, if they like it, etc.

So far, the HP Pavilion ZT3000 series look good to me. They seem to have everything I want, but I don't know to much about the HP track record.

They don't seem to have that reflective "xbrite" or whatever the other companies call their versions on them. They seem to have the standard screen. Is this a big deal?

I guess I'm just looking for some general knowledge, ramblings, and rants of you pc owners.

Thanks.

Jackonicko

Retired
You should look at the iBook and the 12 inch Powerbook with an open mind, and not just dismiss them with an "I don't like Macs", which makes you look narrow minded.

What do you want to do with your lap top, and how much do you want to pay?

MuzakMan

I know that iBooks and Powerbooks are great computers, but alas, I do have a narrow mind when it comes to Mac vs. PC. I have so much software at the moment for a PC that I would like to continue using, so it HAS to be a PC.

If I had to cash to throw around, I would probably get both, but unfortunately, being a student, I don't.

I have around 2 grand to spend, more or less.

As for what I want to do with it, just your general everyday stuff.

It can't be a mac though... Maybe someday, but not right now.

Jackus

What... we have two different people posting as one...? Muzakman and MartyMcPod... wtf?

MartyMcPod

Haha... Sorry about that. I'm trying to get rid of my MuzakMan account. I'm starting all over.

I guess it had me logged in already.

funnyperson1

Website
filebox.vt.edu
If you want some more information about the ZT3000 or its predecessor the Presario X1000 check out x1000forums.com They have some forums there that are very informative, and people are very helpful.

I have an X1000, it broke down withing 2 weeks of owning it. I sent it back and after repair its worked perfectly for the last year. Take from this what you want.

Just remember when buying a laptop that OEM Companies like HP and Dell use ODM manufacturers like Asus, ECS, and Clevo. Imho I really like Asus products and you might be able to get their laptops online for lower prices than say Dell or HPCompaq.

podio

Why are you reading this?
Get a VAIO if you can afford it,my neighbor has a VAIO and she likes it,if it was me thats what I would get.

MartyMcPod

After reading about the Thinkpads, they seem great. I love how "bulletproof" people say that they are. Unfortunately though, they seem to be a bit pricey if I get everything I want.

Why does it cost 350 just to add a DVD burner?

If I pick the "featured" PC, the price is not insane, but the second I click on "let me build it" it starts at 2500. It sucks. I want a 60 gig 7200 HD. Why do I have to get a smaller slower one?

I don't know. I think a Thinkpad would be my first choice, but it just seems to be to pricey for me to get what I want. The options that I can choose just seem extremely overpriced.

Anyone know what the deal is?

jwc110869

Technology made me fat
Remember, Its tough to stuff PC features into a laptop, so comparing a laptop to a PC is only going to fustrate you. My HP laptop is stuffed full of features because I customised the k-rap out of them. I got sucked into the add on section of HP's site. I regret some of the purchases and wich I spent the mone on other upgrades.

One example, I got the DVD burner, and have never burned a DVD ever. If I settled for the CD burner/DVD player, I could have payed the same and have 1 Gig of RAM instead of 512.

Don't Cadilac everything, just what you REALLY use a laptop for.

And go to the library and read that Mag I told you about before you freak out. $2000 is more than enough to get a very decent computer. Start shopping.

MartyMcPod

I figured $2000 grand would be more than enough. I hoped so anyway.

I guess I could drop the dvd burner. I definitely want the performance though. I want the fastest most powerful everything I can get, within reason.

Good wireless will be very important also. I don't need a huge HD, but would definitely like something that runs at at least 5400.

I'm not too caught up in great resolution or anything. I definitely want something "decent" at least. The XBrite, or TrueBrite whatever stuff they do seems alright, but when I compare them in the store, I'm not sure if I like the reflectiveness of the Brite ones.

I would love to get a Thinkpad, as I just want something that is very solid. HP's seem good, but they seem to have above average quality control issues.

I just definitely want the fastest processor etc, power, hd, etc. I can afford. Everything else is somewhat secondary.

funnyperson1

Website
filebox.vt.edu
So you basically want a desktop replacement? You can always get a laptop loaded with a 3GHZ P4 or a 3400+ Athlon64 with everything maxed out, but you have to remember that its going to be heavy, have bad battery life and not be very portable.

Imho the best compromise between performance and battery life/weight is the Pentium M. It is plenty powerful, and still runs around 4 hours. Also make sure you get a laptop with a 9700Mobility, currently its the best mobile card.

MartyMcPod

Wait. Sorry, I don't want a desktop replacement, as I don't want something heavy, with bad battery life.

I will definitely be getting a Pentium M. I believe I will be getting 1.70 Ghz.

I don't really know anything about wireless. I figured on getting a laptop with built in wireless. Besides that, I don't know what it all means.

funnyperson1

Website
filebox.vt.edu
Well you can get a Pentium M at 2.0GHZ too if you wanted the best performance.

The 9700Mobility is a graphics card for 3D graphics, if you get a Pentiun M laptop that advertises Centrino it will come with a built in wireless card.

MartyMcPod

Right. I know this stuff.

It seems to have come down to the ZT3000 or the Thinkpad T42.

In the end, the price will come out to be pretty similar. Since the HP website is easier for me to understand, I see that it comes with general built in wifi.

The T42 seems to, but I don't quite understand the lingo.

Also, the Thinkpad would have a 14 inch screen, while the zt3000 has 15.something, widescreen.

I just don't know...

I love the quality of the Thinkpad, and in the end, it will only come out to a couple hundred more, but I will be getting a bit less. Like, the HD would be 40 in the T42, and 60 in the HP.

I'm just rambling...