Which Anna Karenina Version?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Stensvaag

Law Prof
Website
soli.inav.net
I apologize if this has been addressed, but the iLounge search capabilities are limited. I read the hard-copy version of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina many years ago, and am considering listening to one of the unabridged versions from Audible. There seem to be two: one read by by Nadia May and the other read by Davina Porter. If anyone has an opinion on which narrator would be better, I'd appreciate the feedback. (There was a similar discussion on which version of "War and Peace" to prefer, and I found that helpful.)

Happy listening . . .

John-Mark

moriond

I like Davina Porter's narration better than Nadia May's, but I suspect that is only personal preference and that you would be fine with either. The Blackstone Audiobooks version of Anna Karenina (read by Nadia May) uses the Louise and Aylmer Maude translation (available in Dover paperback thrift edition). The Recorded Books (Davina Porter) version uses Constance Garnett's translation. (The Garnett translation is available on the web at Bartleby, Gutenberg, etc., and appears in the printed Everyman edition). I haven't listened to either of these past the point of comparing the previews, but I was considering the matter because the Blackstone Audiobook version is available on OverDrive through our local library. The Recorded Books version is supposed to render some passages in French, which I actually prefer.

I'm interested in the upcoming unabridged NAXOS version of this work, which is scheduled for release around October. NAXOS has been doing some very nice work with their unabridged productions, and Moby D ick won an Audie in the 2006 prize award ceremonies last Friday. They're also in the middle of an unabridged production of Marcel Proust's Remembrance of Things Past.

Maybe someone who has listened to either of the two versions of Anna Karenina referenced above can comment?

Stensvaag

Law Prof
Website
soli.inav.net
Thanks, moriond. I'm always grateful for your input. I, too, listened to the samples of Nadia May and Davina Porter at Audible, and my preference was for Davina Porter's voice and inflections, based on the short samples. I suspect I will go with the Porter narration when I eventually turn to this work.

By the way, I notice that Toni Morrison's "Beloved," just turned up on Audible, after having been named in the New York Times as the best novel of the past 25 years. I'm definitely going to listen to that one . . .

John-Mark

moriond

Stensvaag said:
By the way, I notice that Toni Morrison's "Beloved," just turned up on Audible, after having been named in the New York Times as the best novel of the past 25 years. I'm definitely going to listen to that one . . .
Yes, Audible put up new lists of both the NY Times best novel of the past 25 years and of the 2006 Audie award winners after the weekend, and also added some new books related to these. Their daily $9.95 specials have also gotten more interesting, and they are now changing this daily instead of having the "limited time special" book available for a week.