Where to start?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iMan

Ok, I have decided to purchase MC9, before doing so, I have a few questions and would be most grateful if some of you guys could enlighten me.

Let me explain the situation and my intentions first: I have used MMJB to encode / transfer about a 100 CD?s to my 3G 30G. I wish to start from scratch again as the results achieved by MC9 using Lame 3.90.3 / --alt-preset standard are much better, also I have purchased an external FireWire HD so I can keep the music both on the iPod and the laptop.

1/ I have downloaded MC9 nearly 30 days ago ( 9.0.180 ) is this the version I should work with / register? If not, what version should I use and where can it be downloaded from?

2/ I used MC9 to do some audio quality tests, but still used MMJB to transfer to the iPod. I now wish to create a new folder on the external HD and, when completed, reformat the iPod and transfer ? What is the best way to do this and what should the new folders be called?

3/ I seem to remember reading about some setting to stop the EQ from distorting; can someone tell me what should be done in MC9 to achieve this?

4/ I would like to make all my songs play at roughly the same level is there something I should do in MC9 to achieve this?

5/ I have a UK iPod and so far, I?ve been using XPlay to boost volume output. Can I do this directly from MC9 or should I use EsspeN?s utility?

Sorry about all the questions, I cant wait to get started but would like to make sure I am doing it right.

Looking forward to your replies.

TIA

iMan

theflyingbeagle

Hi iman

well lets go
1. The version you have is the latest complete tested one. However, the one that most people are using now is the new 9.1 beta version. the latest one I have is .242

Link is here http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1062174925

2. You can create a new library and call it whatever you want and use this as your library. You can then use smartlists to organise the songs. You should make this folder the one that you rip to and MC9 will create subfolders by artist and then album.

3. You can use replay gain to equalise the volume. It does not later the tracks but rather tells the ipod to play them at a certain volume. To do this you must analsye the audio on your songs, however if you rip them all in mc9 it does this for you. I have set mine to +12db

4. The new versions of mc9 have a boost volume option up to a 100%. Espens utility would also work.

If you want more detail on any of this, come back, but this should help you start.

Cheers,

Paul

ashawley

Website
www.
Nice job there Paul. ;)

The only thing I would elaborate on is the Folder stuff you were talking about.

What I think you're asking iman is how to set up your external HDD to store your tunes.

Simple, just create a folder on the root of the drive, called My Music (or whatever you'd like). Then, open up MC9 and click on Tools>Options. Click on the File Naming & Location icon. On the lower have of that dialog where it says Output File Location change the "Base Directory" to your new music folder on your external HDD, and set your Folder and File naming conventions. I like Album/Artist as the Directory Rule and Artist - Album - Track# - Track Name.mp3 as the file naming rule, but it's your call.

Adam

iMan

Thanks for the replies guys, just a few clarifications please?

1/ is 9.1.242 safe to use and can I install it on top or do I need to uninstall/ reinstall?

2/ is replay gain a separate software & how do I set MC9 to analyze automatically on ripping?

Thanks again.

iMAn

ashawley

Website
www.
1. 9.1.242 is very stable. Just install it over your existing version.

2. Replay Gain is a feature of MC9, it comes with it. To set MC9 to analyze during rip, click on Tools>Options then select the Device Settings icon. There is a checkbox there to analyze during rip.

If you have songs already ripped but not analyzed, you can find them by going to the Task Auto-Smartlist that's already been made for you. Under the Playlist tree, select Auto-Smartlists (Music), then under that is a "Task" list called "Tasks - Needs Audio Analysis"

Adam

iMan

Many thanks Adam, you're a star! Also, big thanks for your unvaluable "Help Guide".

iMan :)

ashawley

Website
www.
unvaluable? ;)

Geez, well, it was free. So at least if you found no value in it, it didn't cost ya more than the time to read it. :D ;)

Adam