Where to purchase an iPod Touch? Difference in generations?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

will500

Hello, I will be attending GDC this year for business, which is neat!

I need some sort of mobile device that I can IM on, get my emails and view the web.

I already have my (free ;p ) cell phone from tmoble and I am very happy with it, I do not feel like switching to Sprint, so I believe the iPhone is out for me.

I need little applications, as I said, IM, email, (IRC would be nice), web browsers and if possible a scheduler with reminder. Music/video/games are even better.

I need to leave for GDC on Tuesday so this does not leave me much time for shipping.

Where do you suggest I purchase an iPod touch, if this is what I need? I believe Wal-Mart sells them? I notice a large price difference from the first generation to the 2nd gen. What are the main differences? As in, is it worth the extra costs?

Is the iPod Touch easy to work with as in I can simply connect it to my windows PC and move music/video to it for the plane trip?

Thank you for the help. You have a very nice community here!

kgomez

Junior Lounger
GET THE 2nd GEN

:cool: I would Recommend the Second generation ipod touch due to the fact that it has an external volume button to the left side of the device. there is also speakers for casual listing, both of which are not on the ipod touch 1st gen. However if that wasn't enough to consider the second gen. The 2nd gen is much faster because of the newer processor built-in. and it is possible that the 1st generation dose not have Bluetooth(not positive on that one, but most likely). so the new 3.0 software that is coming out in June of 2009 will probably inhibit the 1st gen from some features:( . I would recommend buying it from wal-mart. its 8 dollers more. for no wait time as you would wait on the applestore online. and you can still get applecare, or the wal-mart 2 year replacement for 19.99.

However if money is an issue. apple does sell refurbished 1st gen ipod' on tsheir Applestore site. I am assuming that when the 3rd gen ipod touch comes out. they will sell 2nd gen ipods cheaper.:D :D Hope i helped

will500

kgomez said:
:cool: I would Recommend the Second generation ipod touch due to the fact that it has an external volume button to the left side of the device. there is also speakers for casual listing, both of which are not on the ipod touch 1st gen. However if that wasn't enough to consider the second gen. The 2nd gen is much faster because of the newer processor built-in. and it is possible that the 1st generation dose not have Bluetooth(not positive on that one, but most likely). so the new 3.0 software that is coming out in June of 2009 will probably inhibit the 1st gen from some features:( . I would recommend buying it from wal-mart. its 8 dollers more. for no wait time as you would wait on the applestore online. and you can still get applecare, or the wal-mart 2 year replacement for 19.99.

However if money is an issue. apple does sell refurbished 1st gen ipod' on tsheir Applestore site. I am assuming that when the 3rd gen ipod touch comes out. they will sell 2nd gen ipods cheaper.:D :D Hope i helped
Thank you very much! I'll buy the 2nd gen then.

I see here:

"# Interfaces
Provides an 802.11b/g connection and a high-speed USB 2.0 connection through the dock connector, "

Does this mean I can just buy the 8gb and use my 16gb flash drive to hold more stuff? (like music and etc)

I know, I'm cheap! :D

Do you know the answers to my other questions?

kgomez

Junior Lounger
will500 said:
Thank you very much! I'll buy the 2nd gen then.

I see here:

"# Interfaces
Provides an 802.11b/g connection and a high-speed USB 2.0 connection through the dock connector, "

Does this mean I can just buy the 8gb and use my 16gb flash drive to hold more stuff? (like music and etc)

I know, I'm cheap! :D

Do you know the answers to my other questions?

Yup and actually you can use the program/app "Simplify Media" google it. lol, too stream music from your computer to your ipod touch. so if you want you can keep all your music on your computer, and when your connected to a wi-fi area you can connect to your computer and listing to your jams.:cool: Hope i helped

will500

Thank you. Now are there any monthly service fees with this or any "catches"?

The web access, all I need is a wifi point, nothing paid to apple, right?

kgomez

Junior Lounger
will500 said:
Thank you. Now are there any monthly service fees with this or any "catches"?

The web access, all I need is a wifi point, nothing paid to apple, right?
I currently have the app and love it, and yup all you need is a wi-fi connection. but here is the direct quote from the site.

"How much does it cost?
Simplify Media for the desktop is free, and there are no hidden charges or spyware.

Simplify Media for the iPhone and iPod Touch is $3.99."

so you only pay for the app, a one time charge. i dont think its a bad price.:cool: hope i helped

will500

kgomez said:
I currently have the app and love it, and yup all you need is a wi-fi connection. but here is the direct quote from the site.

"How much does it cost?
Simplify Media for the desktop is free, and there are no hidden charges or spyware.

Simplify Media for the iPhone and iPod Touch is $3.99."

so you only pay for the app, a one time charge. i dont think its a bad price.:cool: hope i helped
yeah, I'll get the app, I mean for using the touch in general is there a monthly fee or anything? :p

Website
www.ilounge.com
I should provide a clearer answer to this question, as I think that kgomez's answer may have been misleading as he was focusing only on the Simplify Media app, which only works over Wi-Fi.

You cannot connect an external USB drive to the iPod touch to store additional music content. The 8GB is all you get. Simplify Media allows you to stream your music from your home library via Wi-Fi, but only works if you're in range of a Wi-Fi access point. If you're going to be in range of Wi-Fi when you want to listen to your music, it's a great solution, but you will not have anything more than your iPod touch capacity available when out and about.

8GB is not unreasonable for music, but if you plan to store any video or other type of content on it and are not going to be pretty much always in range of a Wi-Fi network, you should definitely consider higher capacity. I personally find 16GB to be the sweet spot for a library that contains a reasonable amount of music and video, but of course there's also a 32GB version available if you want to store more.

As for fees, no there are no ongoing fees to use an iPod touch beyond what you might pay for Wi-Fi access with any other Wi-Fi provider (ie, if you're in an Internet cafe). It's the same as it would work for a laptop or any other device.... If you can get free Wi-Fi access at home/work/school you can use that, of course, but you would have to pay for Wi-Fi in places that normally charge for it.

It's also important to note that Apple regularly charges a nominal fee for software updates for the iPod touch. Apple announced the v3.0 update yesterday, for example, which will be available this summer and cost $10 for iPod touch owners to upgrade to it. Not that you're required to do so, mind you.

One other point to clarify: The iPhone is on AT&T and not Sprint, so while you'd still have to change carriers, it would be AT&T you'd be changing to. Further, the iPhone is compatible with T-Mobile, but you would have to acquire one and jailbreak/unlock it to use it on the T-Mobile network. That's worth some consideration if you want an integrated device, however, as the tools to do this are easily available now. In fact, it's generally a bit harder to get your hands on a contract-free iPhone than it is to actually go through the unlocking process, which is pretty much down to a one-button "Click-here" type of app.

Last edited:

will500

jhollington said:
One other point to clarify: The iPhone is on AT&T and not Sprint, so while you'd still have to change carriers, it would be AT&T you'd be changing to. Further, the iPhone is compatible with T-Mobile, but you would have to acquire one and jailbreak/unlock it to use it on the T-Mobile network. That's worth some consideration if you want an integrated device, however, as the tools to do this are easily available now. In fact, it's generally a bit harder to get your hands on a contract-free iPhone than it is to actually go through the unlocking process, which is pretty much down to a one-button "Click-here" type of app.
Thank you very much!

Now the jailbreak/unlock, is this "legit"? Or is there a "legit" way to move this over to T-Mobile? If so are there fees associated with it?

Thank you for helping me clear this all up

The dream situation would be to buy an iphone 16gb, use the wifi for internet (IM/email/browsing) and t-mobile for the phone service.

Last edited:
Website
www.ilounge.com
To be fair, that depends largely on your definition of "legit" but technically speaking, no. The only "legit" way to do it would be to purchase a legitimately unlocked iPhone from somewhere, but these are generally stupidly expensive ($700+) since they're not being subsidized by the contract with your carrier.

There would be no fees associated with jailbreaking and unlocking other than your usual T-Mobile fees, which might go up if you choose to add a data plan to your T-Mobile account, which is recommended if you plan to use the device on-the-go. If you search the web you'll find there are a lot of people using unlocked/hacked iPhones on T-Mobile. Again, the difficulty is acquiring an actual iPhone unit, since AT&T generally won't sell them to you without signing a contract.

Of course, you can also choose not to add a data plan and then just take steps to ensure that your iPhone doesn't try to use data when you're outside of Wi-Fi range, lest T-Mobile try and charge you for that data usage. This is generally not too hard to do, particularly on a jailbroken iPhone where there are third-party utilities that can be used to disable cellular data services. Doing so will not affect your Wi-Fi capabilities.

kgomez

Junior Lounger
will500 said:
yeah, I'll get the app, I mean for using the touch in general is there a monthly fee or anything? :p

nope like the administrator said there is no ongoing fee. u pay the 3.99 for the app and thats it. and just about every app that i ever brought includes the future updates for the app. so Hope you enjoy the ipod. i would deff get the 16 gb if your gunna be using alot of space (songs, videos).

RichCorsair

The 2g seems to be the most tasty in terms of features. Overall just better, despite the obvious newly added external control features.

I tell you what, on business trips, where I end up in a hotel and staying away from home. My iPod touch really adds a bit of comfort, especially when i open up some champagne =)

And best of luck on your trip also!

Rich