Where to find latest (and history of) Firmware Updates for Classic 160GB?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Max Dread

Hi

Sorry for the recent influx of questions. Will try to quieten down after this one.

I'm just curious to know what the latest Firmware for the Classic 160GB is. Also, how often are new FM updates released for this model? What would be really handy to see is a list of all updates since its release. I've tried googling but cannot seem to find anything.

Many thanks

Max

manchali

Hi
Sorry for the recent influx of questions. Will try to quieten down after this one.

I'm just curious to know what the latest Firmware for the Classic 160GB is. Also, how often are new FM updates released for this model?
Wiki has a list, see right hand side under Operating Systems. If you are buying a new one, the latest update should be 2.0.4. If you have an older one it is probably 1.1.2. They do not update it all that much...I think the last one was 4 years ago...

1.1.5 (1G, 2G)
2.3 (3G)
3.1.1 (4G)
1.2.1 (4G Color)
1.3 (5G)
1.1.2 (6G) this is what Apple calls iPod Classic
(I believe the iPod Classic 120GB released in 2008's latest firmware is 2.0.1 but not sure)
2.0.4 (6.5G) this is what Apple calls iPod Classic late 2009

That info used to be in Apple's document, but no longer.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1353

Last edited:

kornchild2002

The last firmware update for the iPod classic was back in 2009, that's it. They haven't released any new updates since then and never will at this point. The iPod classic is too old, the design has remained unchanged for 6 years now (Apple just updated it with different capacities over time without changing the design), and their focus is on the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and a little is given to the iPod touch and iPod nano.

Max Dread

Thanks guys.

I was hoping to not have to install iTunes (I plan to use Foobar with the add-on Ipod Manager). As stated above, the only thing I was sure I would need iTunes for was the Firmware updates. Considering the last one was so long ago and no more are likely, it does not look like I am going to have to do that anyway. So no iTunes for me!

However, what I do need to run Foobar Ipod Manager (Foo_dop) is "Apple Mobile Device Support". I'm not sure what that is and how I get it. Can anyone enlighten me please? If it is part of iTunes, is there any way of getting it on my system without a full iTunes installation?

Thanks again for all the great help. :)

Max

kornchild2002

It is something that is installed as part of the iTunes package. It can't be downloaded on it's own so you will have to download and install iTunes. As far as I'm aware, it becomes it's one separate thing so that you can uninstall iTunes without removing the Apple Mobile Device Support package. That being said, it might be an all-in-one thing which means you would have to keep iTunes on your computer. You don't have to associate it with any file types when installing it meaning that you won't even know it's there aside from having 200MB being taken up on your computer's hard drive.

Max Dread

Hi

Just wanted to update this to say that I managed to get the driver installed without loading iTunes. I followed the advice here:

Guide to ipod sync - MediaMonkey Wiki

under Necessary Components. So far so good....! Will report back if that changes.

Cheers