when should I make tracks a compilation?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Newmarket2

I understand that creating a compilation links tracks together, but I'm guessing that there are certain things that work (or don't work) differently when tracks are linked as a compilation.
Can someone give me a quick rundown or point me to a post or URL?
After I've done my homework, I might come back with a specific question, but right now I really want to know all the pluses and minuses
Thanks!

ScoobZ

Compilation doesn't link tracks together, per se. It's simply a tag that indicates that the album is comprised of different artists, such as "Love Songs of The 80s." Something like "Billy Joel's Greatest Hits" wouldn't be a compilation as all songs on the album are by the same artist.

On the iPod there is a setting for Compilations On/Off which simply limits which artists appear in the artists list on the iPod. With Compilations On, artists who appear only on a compilation album will not appear in your Artists list on the iPod.

otaku

The only place where it "links tracks together" is in the Artist pane of the browser window in iTunes.
Personally, I use Compilation for almost any track where I don't think I'll ever want to search for the artist by name. This includes most of the iTunes Store "Song of the Week" and things like that.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
To add to the comments above, the "Compilation" tag groups albums that consist of multiple artists together, but you need to have a common Album Artist entry for each song on the album for it to work properly.

Also, if you have a Nano or Classic you can use the setting to hide artists that are only on a Compilation album -- if you set it up properly, such artists won't show up in the Artist menu. But if you have a Touch or iPhone, there is no provision to do this.