What's with the white earphones?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

musichound

I always wondered with all the good headphones that are available, why do most people listen to their iPods with the inferior earphones that it came with? I mean they don't sound too bad, and they improved a bit but they do sound quite tinny compared to most others. Since I got my 5.5G the white earphones it came with have been put in a drawer and I do not plan to ever use them.

What are your reactions?

archurban

ipod adviser
Website
web.mac.com
why? because of no burden. it's come with ipod. just take it out when I go out without thinking. yeah, sound is just OK. on the street, sound quality is not important. is it? even when I drive a car, I'm not concentrated on listening. are you? so ipod bud is ok to go to anywhere. of course, I have bunch of expensive earphones. they're only for special place. otherwise white bud is very easy to go with.

musichound

See for me sound quality is very important. For the street I invested a mere $20.00 and purchased Koss the plug earphones.. They sound somewhat better and they do not fall out of my ears. They are also very compact like the white earphones. Eventually I will get the Shure E2C.

archurban

ipod adviser
Website
web.mac.com
let me tell you some. Shure E2C I have use for more than year. it's blocking 70%~75% outside noise. yeah, it's good phone. but it's not for the street. you won't hear anything at all. you should watch out when you walk. there are bunch of cars. don't you? there are people having experiences which almost hit by car because they wear isolating earphone they can't hear what's going around. or for workout in the park, you shouldn't use it. but it's ok at gym. it's no dangerous. therefore, in-ear is totally for indoor use or when you sit down somewhere for long time. then it's OK. otherwise I recommend you get open ear phone.

jedk

musichound said:
I always wondered with all the good headphones that are available, why do most people listen to their iPods with the inferior earphones that it came with? I mean they don't sound too bad, and they improved a bit but they do sound quite tinny compared to most others. Since I got my 5.5G the white earphones it came with have been put in a drawer and I do not plan to ever use them.

What are your reactions?
Lots of people like to be seen as owning an iPod, hence they use the white earbuds to 'show off'... personally I'm like you and have never used the included earbuds. I'd rather have better audio and not broadcast that I have an iPod...

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
musichound said:
See for me sound quality is very important. For the street I invested a mere $20.00 and purchased Koss the plug earphones.. They sound somewhat better and they do not fall out of my ears. They are also very compact like the white earphones. Eventually I will get the Shure E2C.
The E2Cs are nice, but not worth the money, IMHO. For everyday use, the white ones are fine....

mnhnhyouh

Website
www.geocities.com
I use Shures all the time. With the E2 I used previously, if I used the small foam inserts I could still hear well enough to walk out and about, but you did have to take a bit more care. The Shure E500 are more isolating as the only foamies with them are bigger... but I still wear them out and about. The only other headphones I use are some Senn PX200 in the office and Senn HD555 at home where size and wind catching are not a problem.

I thought the E2 so worth the money that I just forked out to buy the E500. They are probably not worth the money, they are not 4 times as good as the E2, but they are very sweet.

My white buds got a few listens to, just so I did know how they were, and have been in a drawer ever since.

h

VipFREAK

jedk said:
Lots of people like to be seen as owning an iPod, hence they use the white earbuds to 'show off'... personally I'm like you and have never used the included earbuds. I'd rather have better audio and not broadcast that I have an iPod...
That's the funny part though. To me they look like they have a "please mug me" sign pasted all over them instead of "show off". lol

I still find it hilarious that my $8 Senn MX400 blows away the OEM apple buds. xD

jedk

VipFREAK said:
That's the funny part though. To me they look like they have a "please mug me" sign pasted all over them instead of "show off". lol
That's true...

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
Partially because it's convenient and they don't know better.

I used to think the white iPod earbuds were pretty fine but after I got my Etymotics...

:p

Website
www.ilounge.com
Let's also not forget that of the millions of iPods sold, many (probably the majority even) are being sold to people who are not sophisticated music listeners... There are a multitude of people out there who either can't hear enough of a difference to care, or don't even really know there is a difference.

Many of these are the same folks who buy a 60Gb iPod and load four albums onto it... ;)

I started out with the white earbuds, but ditched them for the Koss in-ear model and later the e2c's largely because I didn't like the look of the white (even leaving aside the obvious "I have an iPod" factor, they're just not "subtle").

The sound quality of the in-ears is better, but in my own listening experience I don't find the e2c's that much better than the Koss to be worth the price difference (they're noticeably better, just not enough to justify the price difference).

Plus, earphones are items that you either have to handle with kid gloves or be willing to replace on a regular basis. The included white earphones are pretty disposable for casual use.

toothpaste

archurban said:
let me tell you some. Shure E2C I have use for more than year. it's blocking 70%~75% outside noise. yeah, it's good phone. but it's not for the street. you won't hear anything at all. you should watch out when you walk. there are bunch of cars. don't you? there are people having experiences which almost hit by car because they wear isolating earphone they can't hear what's going around.

That is an interestingly funny theory you have. I don't know about you but I don't walk on the street, it's for cars. I walk on the sidewalk. When I do cross the street I pay attention like anyone should. I live in New York City, crazy cab drivers, buses, trucks and just plain insane drivers. Which leads me to my point, you should always pay attention to where you are walking and be aware of you surroundings. So to say that isolating phones cut off your common sense makes no sense.

As for the experiences of people "nearly" being hit by a car, that could happen without listening to music so I don't see what the point of that statement was unless it was used as a scare tactic.

neb

After spending ~£200 on a brand new iPod the average consumer would begrudge spending another £50 on a new pair of earphones. Like Jesse said, they probably would not recognise the difference in sound quality so it is not something they have considered. I know people like this.

I have a pair of Shure E2c and I hardly ever use them.

musichound

jedk said:
This is exactly how I feel about this.

bdb

On the B side of life
White earbuds are now a fashion trend. They're not just Apple anymore - many companies ship their products with white earbuds, and many third-party earbuds are popular in white.

Granted, Apple started the white earbud trend, and it was marketing brilliance - it was outrageously conspicuous, and initially it broadcast to the world that you had an iPod. It still means you have an iPod about 90% of the time now.

Of course, the reason people use the original earbuds with anything is that they don't know the difference or don't care. Money certainly can be an issue, particularly for kids who were given the iPod as a gift. Earbuds for about $20 are only slightly better, and really good earbuds are quite expensive, and all in-ear.

I don't like in-ear buds, because they can make you quite obtuse. I've heard it termed something like "iPod deafness". But that's another topic...

Last edited:

jwc110869

Technology made me fat
My wife has a pair of Senn's, which I got her after her stock buds bit it. She insisted on having earphones in white, which the px100s are. Some people just like white...............

bdb

On the B side of life
jwc110869 said:
My wife has a pair of Senn's, which I got her after her stock buds bit it. She insisted on having earphones in white, which the px100s are. Some people just like white...............
Its not exactly right that the PX100s "are white" - they come in white as an option. The original PX100s are silver & black - I probably wouldn't have bought them if they only came in white.

VipFREAK

bdb said:
Its not exactly right that the PX100s "are white" - they come in white as an option. The original PX100s are silver & black - I probably wouldn't have bought them if they only came in white.
I understand any business that would follow the "bandwagon trend" to make money I'm just glad they had the class to have black as their standard. Their PX series is one that is apreciated in a market that doesn't have a lot of options.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
toothpaste said:
That is an interestingly funny theory you have. I don't know about you but I don't walk on the street, it's for cars. I walk on the sidewalk. When I do cross the street I pay attention like anyone should. I live in New York City, crazy cab drivers, buses, trucks and just plain insane drivers. Which leads me to my point, you should always pay attention to where you are walking and be aware of you surroundings. So to say that isolating phones cut off your common sense makes no sense.

As for the experiences of people "nearly" being hit by a car, that could happen without listening to music so I don't see what the point of that statement was unless it was used as a scare tactic.
Just because you pay attention doesn't mean the majority of the world does. Don't forget, you, and all your personalities, are special.....;)

antiditz

With me it's not so much that I can't recognize the difference in sound quality; it's more that I can't be bothered. I have my 3G ipod for, what, three years now? and I'm still using the stock Apple buds. Yes, there are better options out there, but for now, these are serving their purpose.

Re. the fashion statement thing, I think that is true, especially among younger users. I know of several people (and I've seen plenty on the subway) who don't have iPods, but use the white Apple earbuds anyway, even on a discman, just for the initial impression. Lame, but it's true.