• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

What's the 'Oldest' song in your iTunes library?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MikeM

Administrator
I noticed today that a Beatles song that was playing was added to my library in October of 2002.

I sorted my entire library and saw that October 4th 2002 at 12:38 is the oldest date I have for music. A little research showed that that was the day I upgraded from iTunes 2 to iTunes 3. That upgrade added a ton of features, like ratings and play counts. It also required a library import, which is why I have a bunch of tunes all with that same day and time.

So, what's your oldest song? Anyone got me beat?

jh-retired

The first MP3 I downloaded, back in the days when you had to find personal websites to download from (Before Abe's MP3 Finder, even!), was Hotel California by the Eagles.

nihal310

The White Rabbit
Ok in my iTunes library right now, my 'oldest' song is 10/3/2005 (March 10th not October 3rd, the latter happens to be my birthday :-D BTW) but that's when I moved all my stuff over from my PC to my PowerBook...(this is again completely off topic, bu don't get me wrong, I didn't 'switch' - I was always with Apple! I only needed a PC for schoolwork.)

I DO know however that my first MP3 download occurred in late 2001. Not sure of the date, but I know it was Vanessa Carlton's 'A Thousand Miles'.

yinyang

Administrator
apparently i added an album on 12th April 2002...not sure about that, but i definitely did add the one on 21st April 2002, and both dates were around the arrival of my iMac LCD...sorry Mike :D

edit maybe that 12th April was correct - encoded with iTunes 2.0.4!! Was a Ministry of Sound compilation....now why did i rip that as my first...!? :confused: :)

Last edited:

AquaX

iLounger
4/14/03 was about 200 songs, although I know my first one was earlier, since I didn't know you had to keep the iTunes xml files intact to store playcounts, etc, so when I switched hard drives, I didn't keep the playcounts.

I still have MP3s that have MacAMP/AST and SoundJam custom icons on them :p

jfroines

I guess I win...

The oldest "added on" date in my library is 11:53pm, 10/31/2001. It's a Bob Mould song ripped at 160kbs MP3. I started making MP3s out of my CDs right when I first pre-ordered my 1G 5GB iPod. I may have had some older ones before, but I've slowly been re-ripping my whole collection as 192kbs AAC files. I'm on my 4th iPod now, a 60GB photo model. Every time I sold an older iPod on eBay when I bought a newer and bigger one, I got almost what I paid for it new! Let's see...it looks like my oldest tracks were ripped by SoundJam 2.5.3, followed by iTunes 2.0.3.

- JonYo

skruggie

I don't have dates on mine, but I'm part of the Napster generation....I donwloaded several gigs of music before they were shut down, that would be about 2000-ish.

mac_user_07

oldest song on my iTunes is Souther Hospitality by Ludacris and was created september 7 2001 at 9:45 PM

mapleleaf

Macromedia said:
Mines probably a led zepplin song. Stairway to heaven in fact. October 16 2003. When I got my g4 imac.
Wow...my oldes iTunes song is the same date. Oct 16 2003. My oldest song is actually a purchase from the iTunes Music Store. It was a track of the Barenaked Ladies album Everything to Everyone which was available to purchase a full seven days before it was available in stores.

Annihil8or

Down South Lounger
The oldest date on a song I have is 3-20-1997 9:50 AM, Blind Melon's "No Rain." Date added in my iTunes wouldn't be that old, cause I only got my iPod a few months ago.

longwayround

Website
www.shrimper.org.uk
My oldest appears to be 4th February 2002 (three tracks from Q magazine's Best of 2001) but I did add several tracks before that. A hard drive crash meant that I needed to start again. I now have 6654 more tracks than that, and still have a lot of vinyl to digitise.

jamontoast

well i have a first generation ipod, got it teh first xmas it was out, but it came with musicmatch, so i used that. just recently maybe int he past year i switched to itunes. but i cant remember one of the first songs i downloded it was like in 1998 because i got an mp3 player that xmas (not ipod) and i had songs already to put on it (100's)

RobDizza

All my songs were added to iTunes this year since i changed computers.

My first downloads of songs were in 1997, when the only place i could find mp3's was on IRC channels. Them were the days. About an hour per song. lol