Whatever happened to the Burton Amp jacket?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
Anyone actually own one? I remember when they came out, but there hasn't been a peep about them since that. I imagine this is due to the price and the questionable need for a dedicate iPod jacket, but I'm curious nonetheless.

ZoidbergD

scabmettler said:
Whatever happened to the Burton Amp jacket?
Not much. Not even a new version for 3G iPod owners. Not that I can afford one, anyway, but still. Although, Dr. Bott does make an adapter for the 3G iPods.

A few months ago, there was a preview of the AMP backpack, where there is a special iPod pocket. It looked pretty nice, but they haven't announced anything yet, and that was April.

docevi1

Website
students.ncl.ac.uk
Again, it's one of those things that I would worry about - if I had a recognisable jacket everyone would know I had an iPod... not good to be carrying around ?300 piece of kit and telling the whole world.

I remember a member having trouble with his jacket a while back...

Stefan

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
Yeah, it really is the norm. And as far as I can tell, the Amp jacket isn't instantly recognizable as such. It's pretty much a black snowboarding jacket with some discreet buttons on the sleeve. I'd be more worried about someone ripping my iPod off from a belt-clip type of case. Plus, those things really ruin the line of the pants... ;)

Yeah, I was just wondering why it seemed to disappear from Apple's website so fast. 'Course, it was limited edition.

On another note, isn't it funny how the people who are happy to shell out $400 for an iPod react in mock horror at a $500 jacket? lol. You guyz...

noryen

The only people who recognized the jacket are people who already owned an ipod....

Even to this day, when I'm using my iPod in public, a lot of people think I'm holding a cell phone.

Last edited:

scarf

HOLY #### a $500 JACKET OMFG! WHAT THE HELL! WHAT THE HOLY HELL IS THAT!

ZoidbergD

scarf said:
HOLY #### a $500 JACKET OMFG! WHAT THE HELL! WHAT THE HOLY HELL IS THAT!
See? Scarf thinks so too...

The iPod is an iPod. This is just a jacket...is it so hard to use the remote?

Impulse29

It was removed from Apple's website because they discontinued the G1/G2 iPod's... Also, it's summer, so there is not a lot of skiing/snowboarding... I think that Apple will introduce another one with a built in battery pack... and a jetpack (that'd be soo cool!) haha

stasyna

PeacePod
I'd buy one except its for Winter, and im not planning to go skiing with my iPod. Some activities shouldnt include music.

scarf

a $500 case... might as well get a case to protect your expensive case... wouldn't want to get any scratches on the soft gilded leather or whatever the hell they're using on it

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
OMG, you guys are so funny. I'm dying over here!

I think this jacket would be a lot easier to use than a remote if I were speeding down a snowy slope on my b*tchin' snowboard. (I wish.)

Zoid, man, it *is* hard to use the remote. Just the other day, I was changing songs, but I have to do this bent over crab-style while I'm walking because as you know, the remote cord is approximately 20 feet (609.6 cm) long. So as I was fiddling with the remote in this awkward manner, I was hit by a NYC garbage truck and flung into the air. I landed on my iPod, which was protected by the new iSkin Exo, but sadly the screen is scratched because they still haven't shipped the screen protector...

boba_rick

$500 for a high performance snowboard/ski jacket is about normal. It is a very water proof/breathable jacket. $300 for pants, $500 for a jacket is about normal for highen stuff. This on just happens to have the remote stuff. Snowboarding is an expensive sport.

--rick p

scarf

oh so its an entire JACKET
i thought it was like a normal case and they were calling it a jacket to make it sound more badass
me bad

Macman

Just got an email from Burton about the Amp Jacket. A new version will be out in November according to the representative.

Cheers,
Macman.

gpvillamil

New jacket out in Nov/Dec

Just heard from the main Burton distributor in Tokyo that they'll have the Burton Amp jacket for 3G iPod in November/December. Don't know of any additional features, though apparently there have been some styling changes.

FWIW a *lot* of new snowboard jackets in Japan include pockets and cable runs for MiniDisc players and their remotes.