What the... itunes has a mind of its own

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

antiditz

So I'll try to explain the situation in the most articulate way I can. Here goes...

A friend of mine got a new ipod mini, which I helped set up for him on his laptop. Browsing through his music collection, I saw a couple of tracks I wanted to 'borrow' for my own ipod. No problems there, I'm set at manual, itunes promptly recognized my ipod - on the left hand it said "antiditz's ipod" instead of my friend's ipod name - dragged the tunes over, safely disconnected... business as usual.

Here comes the weird part. Another friend of ours decided she wanted to hook her mini up to this guy's laptop and upload some tunes as well. I noticed, right before she plugged it in, that itunes still said "antiditz's ipod" even though my ipod was no longer connected. Not thinking anything of this, we proceeded to connect friend #2's mini to the laptop. And the oddest thing happened. Itunes (or some phantom) overwrote all her songs and replaced them with all the songs that are on my ipod, which were still displaying in itunes. And, although the computer recognized the new hardware (her mini), itunes was still calling it "antiditz's ipod!" When we explored Drive F though, all her files were still there. So they were in there somewhere, but not visible or playable on her mini. Even the "new" files, my music collection, although visible and browsable once her mini was disconnected, were unplayable.

How the heck could something like this happen? What's the solution? How to avoid in the future? Any help/explanation would be appreciated. We are all three of us befuddled and perplexed by the whole thing.

kevmakara

The Tie-Dye Alchemist
0_o

How in the world could iTunes have transfered all of YOUR music to another iPod if it wasn't even connected!?!?

I'm thinking ghost. You didn't in any way copy music from your iPod to his laptop did you? Did the songs that were from YOUR iPod play on HER iPod after she disconnected it? If so, that means that the files from YOUR iPod HAVE to be on his laptop.

I though that maybe HER iPod just got the song info or something, but if the music plays on HER iPod, then that means the full song files MUST have somehow been transferred to the laptop.

Pretty freaky man. Dunno what to tell you. Did SHE have her iPod set to manual as well? If not it would make sense for HER to get the friend's library transfered to her iPod, but not YOURS!!

antiditz

kevmakara said:
0_o

How in the world could iTunes have transfered all of YOUR music to another iPod if it wasn't even connected!?!?

I'm thinking ghost.
That's gotta be it! There goes my non-belief in the supernatural!

You didn't in any way copy music from your iPod to his laptop did you?
nope, just connected, dragged some tracks from the library then safely disconnected
Did the songs that were from YOUR iPod play on HER iPod after she disconnected it? If so, that means that the files from YOUR iPod HAVE to be on his laptop.
negative to both. the songs (and my ipod details) still appeared on his laptop, but they were unplayable, as though the 'pod was still connected, although it wasn't. And after the her ipod was disconnected, as explained above, the songs, playlists, etc. appeared in her ipod mini but were also unplayable.

Did SHE have her iPod set to manual as well?
Yup, both ipods were set to manual, though mine was switched to manual at connection. (It had previously been set to automatic.)

Pretty freaky man.
pretty freaky is right! I guess I'd better tell this guy his laptop is haunted... (insert theme from Twilight Zone)