• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

What is the best DVD ripper for a MAC?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Germansuplex

I'll say yes. I've never had a problem with audio syncing. Video and audio are always synced perfectly for me.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Handbrake is the best solution by far if you're looking to rip DVDs directly into an Apple-ready format.

If you prefer to use another video conversion application, MacTheRipper is another good solution, but this just extracts the raw VOB file -- you still have to convert it using another third-party conversion tool. This can be useful, though, if you have a device such as the Elgato turbo.264, which accelerates hardware encoding yet requires its own software application to do so.

See our
Guide to iPod/iPhone Video Conversion (Mac) for more information.

db-01

Thanks for the reply, that's a great article. Why no mention of Videora? Is Videora a one stop shop like Handbrake or more of a tool for converting files that are not copy protected, ie a VOB and hence used in conjunction with MacTheRipper?

Germansuplex

Videora is crap, in my opinion. I had syncing problems with Videora, even when using the pre-set settings. Videos would suddenly dissapear from my drive when they were finished encoding, and sometimes the scripts on the ads rendered the program useless for me.

Handbrake is much, much, much better in my opinion. It allows for conversion of DVD's directly from the disc OR from the drive, it supports chapter markers (which Videora does not) and is just more streamlined and cleaner to look at.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Thanks for the feedback. Videora is Windows-only at this point, so it's covered in our Windows version of the article.

I'm not sure if there's been a recent port of Videora to the Mac (there wasn't when this article was written), but the reality is that iSquint would likely be a much better solution anyway (leaving aside the Mac/PC aspects, I much prefer iSquint to Videora). I'm not sure if you made it to page two of the article, but iSquint (and other similar options) are discussed there.

Back before Handbrake had an Intel-native version that supported 640x480, my original workflow was to use MacTheRipper to extract the VOB files and then feed them into iSquint. Now, since I have an Elgato turbo.264, I'm still using MacTheRipper and instead feeding them into the Elgato software, since it operates significantly faster than Handbrake.

In the absence of a hardware-assisted device like the turbo.264, however, I'd recommend Handbrake as the preferred solution for ripping DVDs. The only reason I don't use it is the lack of turbo.264 support at this point.

Sparkee

Jesse, what computer system are you using to convert video and how much faster is the turbo.264 than using iSquint?

Do you think the speed boost would by worth it on a newer duo-core processor?