What is Lucite?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

atariskidd

i remember using lucite in my physics lab. we rubbed it a couple of times with a silk cloth and it became charged. lucite is just like plastic, but better and sturdier.

Rich

atariskidd said:
we rubbed it a couple of times with a silk cloth and it became charged.
Could this be a new way to charge the iPod? :D (sorry, got carried away!)

Rich

destined_wind said:
Hmm, I doubt that a charging device could be made from lucite, since it is after all...plastic.
Uhhhh, it was a joke...

But seriously, I remember that same "plastic" rod and silk cloth thing. You get the same effect as when you rub a ballon on your head. It just builds up a static charge.

Jackonicko

Retired
Lucite is the trade name for a range of clear cast acrylic plastics (and is owned by the UK company who are also owners of the Perspex brand name). It's known for its high quality, non-porous surface and for its ability to be polished.

It's used on the Gen 1 and Gen 2 iPods, but not, I believe, the Gen 3.

TheSunTheSea

I'm feelin supersonic
Jackonicko said:
Lucite is the trade name for a range of clear cast acrylic plastics (and is owned by the UK company who are also owners of the Perspex brand name). It's known for its high quality, non-porous surface and for its ability to be polished.

It's used on the Gen 1 and Gen 2 iPods, but not, I believe, the Gen 3.
You're right, the Gen 3 iPods do not have the clear acrylic surface. I actually kind of like it b/c scratches aren't noticable compared to my old 20 GB

mongoos150

destined_wind said:
Apple says that the front of the Ipod is made of lucite, the only other use I found for it online was implementation in bathroom fixtures. I am curious, what exactly is Lucite and is it any good against cracks and so forth?
Essentially, lucite is a high quality plastic.

Wolfman200

yeah, you have to lok at the new ipod at a very specific angle to see the scratches. Cool, huh?

Impulse29

I'm kinda a simpsons fanatic, but does anyone remember the one where the comic book guy(looks like him, but not actually him) kidnaps Zena (an actor pretending to be Zena). . . The comic book guy falls in lucite... It gets really hard in a short amount of time...

I thought I'd add that :)

mongoos150

Impulse29 said:
I'm kinda a simpsons fanatic, but does anyone remember the one where the comic book guy(looks like him, but not actually him) kidnaps Zena (an actor pretending to be Zena). . . The comic book guy falls in lucite... It gets really hard in a short amount of time...

I thought I'd add that :)
Yep, I remember that one. hehe