What is "Location Services"?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

daihard

I did read the user's guide, which says:
Location Services allows applications such as Maps and Camera to gather and use
data indicating your location. Location Services does not correlate the data it collects
with your personally identifiable information. Your approximate location is determined
using available information from cellular network data, local Wi-Fi networks (if you
have Wi-Fi turned on), and GPS (if you have an iPhone 3G).
However, Google Maps can show where I am even when I have Location Services turned off. How?

You can turn Location Services off if you don’t want to use this feature. If you turn
Location Services off, you’ll be prompted to turn it back on again the next time an
application tries to use this feature.
It's been a couple of days since I turned it off. No applications, including Camera and Maps, have asked me to turn it back on. Is that normal?

Skrat

I believe (although I could be wrong) that Location Services is
1) the geotagging part of the iPhone which retrieves information about your specific location and imbeds it into a photo you have taken. It is also used to locate you when you use apps like Twittelator etc..
2) used for assisted GPS. Without Location Services turned on, you are using tower trianglisation which is not as accurate as a-gps.

PCthug

Website
www.msdesigns.co.uk
daihard said:
It's been a couple of days since I turned it off. No applications, including Camera and Maps, have asked me to turn it back on. Is that normal?
I turned it off too, and now cant remember where to turn it back on again, lol.

daihard

Skrat,

Thanks for the info. I wonder if it means the newly added GPS chip is useless without the Location Services? I hope it's not the case.

Skrat

daihard said:
Skrat,

Thanks for the info. I wonder if it means the newly added GPS chip is useless without the Location Services? I hope it's not the case.
It does mean just that although you can toggle it on/off as you need it instead of having it on all the time and wasting battery life as well as sending data that you don't need to be sending and wasting.