what happened to tips and tricks? Copying songs from iPod to PC

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

sonshineslocs

light brown sugar
what happened to tips and tricks?

hey folks,

i haven't been around in a while. there's a topic that i was searching for--moving files from ipod to computer--and found.

but none of the links work. what i'm ultimately trying to find is tips and tricks? where is that? is there still such a section of the board?

i'm trying to explain to someone how to move files from ipod to comp without a program.

thanks y'all,

ssl

How to copy songs from iPod to computer w/o the need of software

Windows version:

-go to my computer>
-tools>
-folder option>
-view>
-and check the box next to 'show hidden files & folders.
-Then connect the iPod
-when the iPod shows up in 'my computer'
-click open the hard drive and
-remove the music folder to your desktop
-then click open the music folder and
-You will see folders titled 'F00', F01, etc.
-The music files are inside. Drag-n-drop the folder onto the desktop of the computer.

To remove the files:

Open the folder, highlight all songs (edit>select all), right click & select open with iTunes
-or-
After opening the folder & highligting all songs just drag-n-drop the files into the iTunes library.

Links are on the homepage toolbar.

Last edited:

IPod305

ahhaha wow i finaly am not going to kill myself..thanks so much, but i gota know one more thing, ill start a new topic for it cuz i havent seen it around

sheldonwg

Re: what happened to tips and tricks?

sonshineslocs said:
hey folks,

i haven't been around in a while. there's a topic that i was searching for--moving files from ipod to computer--and found.

but none of the links work. what i'm ultimately trying to find is tips and tricks? where is that? is there still such a section of the board?

i'm trying to explain to someone how to move files from ipod to comp without a program.

thanks y'all,

ssl

i did all that but my music still didnt show up..... i really dont wanna spend the 15 bucks to buy that ipod agent thing.... i'm kinda ####ed off....

serac

honeybee1236 said:

Windows version:

-go to my computer>
-tools>
-folder option>
-view>
-Then connect the iPod
-The music files are inside. Drag-n-drop the folder onto the desktop of the computer.

To remove the files:

Open the folder, highlight all songs (edit>select all), right click & select open with iTunes
-or-
After opening the folder & highligting all songs just drag-n-drop the files into the iTunes library.

This is the part that I don't follow, I can't find it in my computer.......

If the iPod is not showing up when connected go to edit>pref>ipod, in iTunes, while the iPod is connected or right click & use the ipod options to enable disk mode or set it to manual which will do the same thing then look under my computer for the iPod HD.

FYI: This info is linked in the sticky located in the iTunes Music Store forum here:
A Simple Guide to Avoid Having iTunes Delete the iPod Library and also under my sig.

Last edited:

serac

honeybee1236 said:
If the iPod is not showing up when connected go to edit>pref>ipod, in iTunes, while the iPod is connected or right click & use the ipod options to enable disk mode or set it to manual which will do the same thing then look under my computer for the iPod HD.

FYI: This info is linked in the sticky located in the iTunes Music Store forum here:
and also under my sig.
i see:

(SOMEONE'S) IPO (F:) ->
iPod_control (strangely it's whited out, but still able to be opened) ->
Music (also white) ->
F00-F## ->
songs.

but the songs are all wierd, i don't know what song it is until I play it... did I do it wrong? When i tried to move it to the desktop it said like "40 minutes to go," so i x'd out of that since i wasn't sure if i did it right.

i don't know what format it is, but I use a PC. thanks for the help.

wolfwolf436

So, I know I'm slightly technically incompetent, but I tell ya, getting the music off my ipod onto a new computer is kicking my butt.

I'd be happy to just transfer it to my new computer and reburn it and load it back into itunes. I don't mind using itunes, I am annoyed that it isn't simple for me to add music to it from my ipod, but I don't need anything more complicated now than to get the old stuff onto a new itunes, and that is it.

At this point, I simply need this help--
When I plug in my ipod, and attempt to change the preference to manual, ie- edit>preferences>, ipod isn't even an option.

Argh. Why can't this be easy?????

serac

serac said:
i see:

(SOMEONE'S) IPO (F:) ->
iPod_control (strangely it's whited out, but still able to be opened) ->
Music (also white) ->
F00-F## ->
songs.

but the songs are all wierd, i don't know what song it is until I play it... did I do it wrong? When i tried to move it to the desktop it said like "40 minutes to go," so i x'd out of that since i wasn't sure if i did it right.

i don't know what format it is, but I use a PC. thanks for the help.
It's because for some reason the comp doesn't register that ipod is connected. Wierd, but it happens to me too. Just restart the comp and try again.

darthipod

honeybee1236 said:

Windows version:

-go to my computer>
-tools>
-folder option>
-view>
-Then connect the iPod

To remove the files:

-or-

Would I be correct then in assuming that when you are ready to move them onto an ipod, all tags (artist/album/song/info) will be intact?

I'm assuming that the software that can be used serves to make sure the files have names other than 'F00' on your PC or Mac.

Basically I just need to do this because I have to take a defective 60GB Ipod back, and exchange it for a new one.

Therefore, I don't mind the 'F00' labels, so long as they import back into Itunes ok.

Thanks for the tutorial.

darthipod said:
Would I be correct then in assuming that when you are ready to move them onto an ipod, all tags (artist/album/song/info) will be intact?
Yes, the tags remain intact.

I'm assuming that the software that can be used serves to make sure the files have names other than 'F00' on your PC or Mac.
The files don't have names 'F00'. The files are inside of these folders and that is what you will remove from the folders.

Basically I just need to do this because I have to take a defective 60GB iPod back, and exchange it for a new one.

Therefore, I don't mind the 'F00' labels, so long as they import back into Itunes ok.

Thanks for the tutorial.
The files will import back into iTunes.

Rusher

I found a tip that said if you have the Preferences dialog box open when you connect the iPod that it will act like a drive that can be accessed through windows explorer.

I had a hard drive crash and don't want to loose 10+MB worth of music and was wondering if anyone else knew if this tip actually worked before I took the chance on losing everything.

The iPod has automatic update set and is not sync'ed to the computer.

TIA

Rusher

cropgirl

I followed this and successfully transferred the songs from my iPod onto my new computer's iTunes Library, but once I disconnected the iPod, iTunes could not locate the music files (the '!' symbol)... Is there something else I need to do in order to "save" an independent copy of the music file?
Thanks much in advance!

honeybee1236 said:

Windows version:

-go to my computer>
-tools>
-folder option>
-view>
-Then connect the iPod

To remove the files:

-or-

bulldogbw

Same problem!

I also followed all the instructions verbatim but my songs won't play in itunes anymore, they have the ! symbol next to them and I get an error message?!? Is there a way to get them to play?