• Please note that signatures and avatars on iLounge are only available after reaching certain membership thresholds.

Signatures

In order to be able to have a signature, users must have been a member for 7 days and have accumulated 10 posts.

Avatars are reserved for only the most senior of iLounge forum members. Users will not be able to use an avatar until they have been a member for a minimum of one year, and accumulated 1,500 posts. This is considered the Veteran Lounger level of membership.

A note on post whoring...

We welcome and encourage our members to make valuable and useful contributions to the iLounge forums, and to have fun, socialize, and actively participate in discussions on the forums. However, as per the Forum Policy, we will not tolerate excessive and unnecessary posting. Posting inane and pointless messages solely to increase one's post count in the hopes of reaching a higher membership level will be dealt with by the forum staff. Unnecessary posts may be subject to removal, and persisting in this behaviour will result in post counts being reduced and any further action being taken as deemed necessary.

• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

What happened to the tone of the iLounge forums?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Dougfnj

Ipod, do you?
I am just venting a little, this is not meant to be flaming, but is it just me, or has there been a bit of an attitude introduced into the forums lately?

I used to visit this site often for the helpful reviews, troubleshooting, and enjoyable discussions on the greatest music gadget ever invented. The discussions were tasteful, humorous, informative, and I visited at least 5 times a day to see if anything new was being touched on.

Now I notice quite a bit that discussions have slowed down tremendously, you can't ask a question without being snapped at to use the search button. I am seeing a lot of juvenile name calling, and overall nastiness towards other's opinions. This dosen't seem to have the spirit it once had, and I hope to see improvements at some point. This isn't everyone and all threads, but I have been seeing it more now than I think I ever had, and it's fast declining on my list of favorites.

Like I said....just venting.

hexonxonx

I agree. On MacRumors I hear allot of the same thing, people being told to search. Well if everyone searched for old posts, nobody would be posting new things, the amount of posts would be cut down.

enjoilax

As a veteran you get tired of people who contribute nothing to the forums with inane banter and lack of any kind of contribution.

We aren't a librarian, we're a COMMUNITY. I think newbies posting the same questions over and over again gets frustrating in the fact that it contributes little to the community.

Amelie

<3
enjoilax said:
We aren't a librarian, we're a COMMUNITY....
Good point, nobody here gets paid to answer basic reference questions...and even those of us who do get paid get tired of the less-than-complex inquiries. :D

Not to invalidate your feelings, doug, but I don't feel the same way. If you do, no one's stopping you from moving on.

bdb

On the B side of life
I suppose the tone has changed some, but it gets really frustrating to hear the same questions over and over and over again every time a new iPod comes out. Most of the time it just requires the newb to read the FAQ.

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
My ears must be off... We were "iLounge in G Major" for a few days, but a third was flattened.

That was bad... if anyone gets it.

Sparkee

I believe we still must show patients with newbies no matter what the question. If you look at most venting and attitude, it is done by fairly new users who don't stick around long anyways. I'm probably guilty of it too once in awhile and do try to curb it.

We must remember most repeat questions are from frustrated users who probably have a limited knowledge of how to use their new toy as well as a forum too. We've all been there. Even though it looks like we're pushing a little attitude, we should be teaching people to use the forums as well as their iPods without being ignorant in our posts.

Even though the atmosphere here does get a little thick once in awhile, it is still one of the best forums I've been on. If you don't like the tone of a topic, ignore the bad posts (don't encourage them) and help the OP. It will help turn the overall tone of the forum positive, it's all up to the regular users.

With that said, we still need some of the colorful posters here to keep things lively, other wise it would just be like a.... a, library.

musichound

Whenever a search nazi says to someone else to search the forum, it can be very distressing to a new member. Instead of just saying to use the search function, I think a better solution would be to conduct a search for that person to use an example. When the new member reads the resulting post of the experienced member, it sets the example and tone for that member as well.

hyroboarder

I agree. Helping newbies adapt to the site is better than telling them to adapt to the site. "blessed are the noobs for they will inherit the net" I forgot where I read that but it's not mine. :)

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
I can't stand how the site tries to have such a pg theme to it. I mean, most of the time forums with as many users as ilounge dont really mind cussing but not being able to say things like p i s s e d? Give me a break. Sorry... I figured as long as were venting.

Demolition

Troublemaker
It's easy for veteran posters to become jaded. It's also easy to look down on newbies as unworthy of our time and effort. However, we were all newbies once and probably asked what we now think of as stupid questions. I remember being extremely grateful when I was new and someone took the time to guide me when I had an unresolved issue or was merely looking for a bit of info.

Does no one else remember this? That's why I try my damndest to help out. Even if it's just to do the search myself and post the results for the newb. I'm doing it because I want to give back.

But, if everybody is too busy to write informative posts (because they're busy lording it over the newbies), then what use are you? Maybe it's time to take your own advice and move on.

bigbabydaddy196

Chief Nanny-Boo-Boo
pohatu771 said:
My ears must be off... We were "iLounge in G Major" for a few days, but a third was flattened.

That was bad... if anyone gets it.
That joke was already used.... Please use the search function in the future...... ;) (I LOL'd.)

I've been a member/lurker @ iLounge for some time, only recently becoming an active poster (to the chagrin of some, I'm quite sure ;)), but frankly, there's always been some sniping that's gone on here just like nearly every other forum I've been to. I had a few members jump on me some time ago and I jumped back, but those things happen occasionally.

Overall, I think this site is one of the most informative and friendly around, even when the search nazis go off a bit. I think it's because they don't really know the answer and the keyboard gives them a sense of safety, so they can be rude to someone without risking Darwinian consequences.

electrozoid

Apple Pie Eater
Overall I think the tone of this forum is very light considering what the Internet is today (try Usenet...). It's the result of the contribution of humans after all, we're not bots responding to posts. There's almost not flame wars or trolls. That's pretty good!

This thread appears to have focused more on the issue of repeated questions. It is annoying but it's part of the Internet, so you better get used to it. The question is what do you do about it. Do we just pretend that the search function doesn't exist at all? Because that's what I'm concluding from the above. Using forums and the iPod is an educational experience. Do we teach the man to fish or do we give them the fish? And teaching doesn't have to be a nasty experience, contrary to what some may have experienced in school (my mind drifts with songs from 'The Wall'...). It's all about maintaining a positive attitude. At least that's how I see it.

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
This topic has come up several times before - please search before posting.....

It's a forum and new members on any forum will ask the same questions or post some topic which has been posted before, time and time again. There are some characters here who have a short fuse and fire off at the slightest opportunity at anyone they see as being lazy.
Others are more tolerant and will answer the noobs questions. Sometimes the grump gets to feel bad for being too brusque. We like the helpful folk and appreciate their input.

deftdrummer1 said:
I can't stand how the site tries to have such a pg theme to it.
Because we want it to be that way. It's been like that from day one. You want to find a forum where you can curse to your hearts content there are plenty out there in the interwebnetland. I'm sure Google can help...

hexonxonx

enjoilax said:
As a veteran you get tired of people who contribute nothing to the forums with inane banter and lack of any kind of contribution.

We aren't a librarian, we're a COMMUNITY. I think newbies posting the same questions over and over again gets frustrating in the fact that it contributes little to the community.
But that will never change so you people may as well just stop telling people to search and just answer their questions. I have and still do run a few forums myself and have since around 2000. It's just a natural part of a message board.

jwc110869

Technology made me fat
deftdrummer1 said:
bob you have and probably always will be a chump huh?

I think you just lack the brains to interact in a forum in a civil manor. If you can't act "PG", its not on us, its on you.............................

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
deftdrummer1 said:
bob you have and probably always will be a chump huh? Thanks for the pointers though pops.
That's OK sonny. When you have met me in real life then perhaps you'll be qualified to call me a "chump"... :shake:

I stand by what I said previously. What is so wrong in not wanting a 'community' which is full of foul mouthed rude idiots? Too many forums already have that claim to fame.

As I said, if you want to interact with such individuals I am sure someone can point you in the right direction.