• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

What happened to iLounge?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Code Monkey

1. The whole of the i-Universe just isn't that new or novel anymore, so not that much excitement about "hanging out" in a forum dedicated to discussing nothing but the world of iPods and related i-Devices and software. Relatively speaking, discussing the i-Universe today is about as cutting edge as discussing the Windows operating system. Nearly everything you need to know is in a Google search somewhere.

2. The iPad, which was early 2010 (and there was a lot of discussion then), was the last time Apple did anything dramatically new in the i-Universe. Other than a camera, this year's iPad is, feature wise, largely the same as last year's. This year's iPods are exactly the same as last year's iPods. And other than incremental tweaks, this year's iPhone is the same as last year's iPhone. Heck, even iTunes didn't even get the nod of a full version number upgrade this year. Outside of the general lack of excitement about discussing this stuff in the first place, really not that much to discuss except the sort of arcane stuff that might appeal to a handful of regulars, and the standard repeating new user questions that don't exactly bring discussion or excitement.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
I agree that there's not much new stuff to talk about, but even the volume of people seeking help seems to have subsided quite a bit -- there's no shortage of problems to discuss. Over at the Apple site the activity seems higher than ever ... maybe iLounge readers have had a better education ;)

Code Monkey

... maybe iLounge readers have had a better education ;)
Well, that and you don't even need Google to find your way to the Apple forums. If you are really new to the i-World, you would at least have to start your problem solving via a search engine to wind up here in all likelihood. You can find your way to the official forums just clicking on things in iTunes and on your iOS device.

Unfortunately for those folks, official or not, my own experiences searching through the Apple forums indicates you're about as likely to get the correct answer from there as by reading the "signs" in the guts from a road killed squirrel.

jtf1972

I used to come here & look around for a little help and could usually find it before even posting. Now, it seems there is nothing but unanswered questions, and when you do ask something there seems to be attitude from people.

Time to find a better place.

Is there a way to kill your own profile & eliminate your own posts (since most went unanswered?)

habsrock13

Poolside Lounger
Ah yes, forum communities seem to be a dying tradition. Google has really taken over the need to post questions and wait for an answer, as Code Monkey has stated.

I really do miss what this place used to be, was my homepage for a good chunk of time. This is my first time on in months, if not, over a year.

Krebati

I think they are all gone to Facebook ;) No really, and spend much more at FB for the last year, that I spent in forums all together.

Artmuzz

I think another reason for there not being much activity on this forum is that posts seem to have to be moderated first before they are actually posted. I don't know why the moderator hasn't being approving the posts.

UPDATE: It seems to be working now. Before the posts had to be moderated.

UPADTE: It appears that when posting a reply to a topic on any of the iPod sections in this forum that the post has to be moderated which is very annoying as the moderater doesn't seem to be doing any work approving posts because I have wated almost 2 weeks for a reply that I posted to be approved by moderator. :(

Last edited:

lobotomy

It's not just this place though. The handful of other forums I frequented from 04-07 seem to have also gone really quiet lately.

toothpaste

I spent way too many hours on this forum over the years, and while I enjoyed interacting with people here my life changed dramatically hence less time for forums.

I agree with previous statement concerning the active life span (so to speak) of forums. Today's hot technology is tomorrows old news. It's evolution. Progress.

kornchild2002

I used to come here & look around for a little help and could usually find it before even posting. Now, it seems there is nothing but unanswered questions, and when you do ask something there seems to be attitude from people.
Had I come across this earlier, I would have responded. I sense a large amount of hypocrisy in this post but I will get to that later. Questions have always gone unanswered on iLounge and other sets of forums. Why? We don't always have the answers. Would you rather have people post nonsense or nothing at all? It's hard to help someone who says "my computer can't recognize my iPod but I have reset it, reformatted my computer, tried different USB ports, and completely uninstalled and re-installed Apple's software." What are we to say to that? "Have you tried singing Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah to your computer while dancing on your roof?"

The attitude comes in from posts just like this one and from others along those lines. You complain about it yet you are being a big hypocrite since you are expressing the same type of negative attitude. Treat people fairly and you can expect to be treated the same. Act like an ###, continually bump your thread, or ask outright stupid questions and you can expect to be treated as such. It is a simple two lane highway that many people don't understand.

Therein lies the problem. Many people come here, make one post, and expect it to be answered within an hour. That is not how forums work and that definitely isn't how the iLounge forums work. The people here donate their time and knowledge trying to help others. They can't jump through hoops just because Jesse doesn't know how to restore his iPod.

Time to find a better place.
Oh, the hypocrisy comes through again. You complain about people with attitude yet continue dishing it out. This is a prime example of problematic people on iLounge and why many others don't even bother helping. Why should they help someone when are they are going to get are snide and rude comments back at them? Good luck in finding a better place as well since forums are slowly dying. People can find instant answers through Google and are even now asking for help through Facebook status updates. The iLounge forums are still thought to be more knowledgeable than the official Apple discussions.

I remember making a post back in ~2003 in the Apple discussions. The admin there gave me a link to the iLounge forums and told me to ask my question there since they didn't know the answer. I still see similar actions in Apple's own forums with people linking to iLounge posts and articles.

The iLounge forums can still be a nice place if people are looking for help. Traffic has always fluctuated with the release of new/updated iDevices. There were more people on iLounge when the iPhone 4S came out but they have since trickled off. The same thing will happen when the iPad 3 comes out, iPhone 5, updated iPods, etc. The iLounge forums have always experienced some type of roller coaster activity based on what Apple was doing. The amount of users on the iLounge forums will drastically increase if Apple releases a new iDevice as well.

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
We're still here - many other forums/sites that sprang up after 2001 have curled up at the edges - I was a member of two which I joined at the same time as iLounge, and they have decided to delete their community pages completely....

Activity fluctuates as kornchild2002 mentions above - there have also been a few sites spring up that are specific to the iPhone or iPad, which I suspect are the devices many new users are getting.

GinoLicious

In regards to the people who have been saying that there isnt enough traffic on this site or enough new knowledge that is needed in regards to Ipods. Yes that is true. However, this site does offer iPhone support, and much traffic for the site should come from there. People are always experiencing issues with iphones, always have questions, and there are always new innovative apps and products that continually come out for iphone.

Maybe its time to shift the site on to more of apple products like iphone, and offer apps section so reviews can be done on apps. This would allow for greater traffic to the site as not many people are having ipod issues. Just because ipods are slowing down, doesnt mean apple isnt. This should focus on apple, rather than just the ipod. There will always be a market for iphone, the apps, and new products coming out for it.

Also.... wasnt this site taken down a while back?