What don't you like about IOS5?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

musichound

First off, I think IOS5 is a major improvement over IOS4, and for the most part I finally feel my iPod Touch is a finished product. However, there are a few subtle differences with the new IOS that I prefer on IOS4.

For starters, podcasts appear to be split between audio and video. Before with the previous firmware I could have access to all my podcasts on one screen. Now they are split. Some people might prefer it this way but not me.

Also, I can no longer view podcast videos in portrait mode. Now why why I would want to view them this way? The main reason is when in portrait mode, I can view the name of the podcast plus whatever information that accompanies it, then go back to landscape mode. Now, that functionality appears to be missing. Am I missing something, or is it no longer available?

Now I ask, what do you dislike about the new IOS?

Code Monkey

Your big gripe is the same as mine. It seems that someone at Apple decided that all videos, be they music videos, video news podcasts, or high quality encodes of your latest Blu-Ray, must all be treated exactly the same under iOS 5, and that's just plain stupid. A video podcast is a podcast, meant to have informational text we can access by tapping on the screen, and a way of properly playing them as audio only via the task bar (this function is still present in iOS 5, but it's glitchy as heck), but, no, evidently I must watch them in landscape at all times, I must not be able to see if this episode 2 of 4, I must not be able to scrub backward 30 seconds if I missed something in a interview.

If they had just split them between the apps it would have been annoying but acceptable, but by downgrading playback in every way, it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

ghollywood

They haven't fixed the issue of when you go onto genius section on AppStore, if you scroll down and click on a game, when you exit the description it scrolls back to the top and takes ages to scroll back down again! ��

kornchild2002

I have come across a few things in iOS 5 that I don't like. The first is for my iPad 2 and its multi-touch gestures. I can switch between open apps using five fingers and swiping left or right. Although neat, I still prefer to double-tap the home button to bring up the apps I have in the background. That way I don't have to scroll through a dozen apps just to get back to Safari. I had to disable the feature due to my note taking app. The app is nice (although it is pure crap right now as they introduced a minor update that is buggy in iOS 5 and makes it unusable) in that I can write in a small box with a stylus and have my palm on the display. The app will only sense whatever is input in the small box and ignores everything else. It is really nice but my iPad senses that my palm is the same as five fingers and I was swiping between my note taking app and a few others while I was actually taking notes in class.

I have also run into a bug in iOS 5 when it comes to my large playlist. I have a "best of" playlist that I am continually recycling. It has over 5000 tracks in it. The playlist really isn't in any particular order except for the first track. I pick the first track and have iTunes randomize it for me a few times before I get an order that I like (i.e. bands/artists aren't grouped together so I get a more "random" play order). The first song is normally a new single that I was to listen to first when I am in my car. Well, with that playlist, my iPod touch (and iPad 2) do not display it in order. They both display it in some strange order. It isn't backwards or anything but in some other random order. I have tried every trick I know of and the playlist order still isn't correct (even though it is being displayed correctly in iTunes when I look at the details of my iPod touch or iPad 2). Other, shorter playlists (around 90 songs) are displayed in the correct order so I am not sure what is going on.

I also noticed that it takes longer to access this 5000+ song playlist. Before under iOS 5, I could select the playlist and it would instantly show me the songs in the playlist where I would select the first one and it would start to play the whole thing in the proper order. Now it takes about 5-6 seconds before I am taken to the first song in the playlist. Searching in that long playlist also causes another 5-6 second pause before I can actually enter text in the search box. I guess the 5-6 second pause isn't too bad though since scrolling through the large playlist (in which every song has album art) is a lot smoother than what it used to be under iOS 4 and I am not experiencing any random ~1 second pauses while album art loads. So I guess iOS 5 is taking one large pause upfront instead of random 1 second pauses while I am scrolling through the large playlists.

Lastly, I don't understand Apple lack of video playlist compatibility with iOS 5. Back in 2007, iPhone OS 1 could not work with video playlists. It was a feature that many used on their iPods and iPod nanos (this was before the introduction of the iPod classic and iPod touch lines). I used it a lot because I could essentially rip a DVD concert I had into individual tracks (i.e. one video file per song), put them in the correct order in a playlist, sync the playlist over, and have the entire concert. So a bunch of my ripped concert DVDs are all done like this. Now I have to rip one large file and put chapters in there where each chapter represents one song. Although I don't have any real issues with this setup, it also prevents me from just syncing one song over. A nice example of this would be all of the Korn concerts I have ripped. Well, they often play the same tracks on all of these concerts except for a select few that are new from the album they are touring to promote. I really don't need "Got The Life" on my iPod a dozen times. So I would rather pick and pull certain live songs that are specific to that live performance. I can't do that while having just one large file. So I want Apple to add video playlist compatibility to iOS. It has been almost 5 years since the introduction of iPhone OS and we still don't have something that the 5G iPod had back in 2005.

singlestick

First off, I think IOS5 is a major improvement over IOS4, and for the most part I finally feel my iPod Touch is a finished product. However, there are a few subtle differences with the new IOS that I prefer on IOS4.

For starters, podcasts appear to be split between audio and video. Before with the previous firmware I could have access to all my podcasts on one screen. Now they are split. Some people might prefer it this way but not me.

Also, I can no longer view podcast videos in portrait mode. Now why why I would want to view them this way? The main reason is when in portrait mode, I can view the name of the podcast plus whatever information that accompanies it, then go back to landscape mode. Now, that functionality appears to be missing. Am I missing something, or is it no longer available?

Now I ask, what do you dislike about the new IOS?
I agree that splitting podcasts between audio and video is dumb, and also adds more steps you have to follow to get to them (along with the goofiness of putting podcasts under "More" in a music icon).

However, I am able to view podcasts in portrait mode.

And, for audio podcasts, if you tap on the small icon at the top, you get access to the scrubbing controls.

If you then tap on the "body" of the podcast, you can get access to text information. I tried this with a BBC news podcast and a couple of others.

One other thing I dislike is that some Bluetooth devices (e.g., a Motorola speaker) do not connect as easily as before. I had to go to Settings and select the device.

Code Monkey

I agree that splitting podcasts between audio and video is dumb, and also adds more steps you have to follow to get to them (along with the goofiness of putting podcasts under "More" in a music icon).
That's just a user configurable thing, it is in no way a legitimate complaint. Not certain, but they may have been under "More" for 4.X initially as well. Just go into the "edit" and move the icons where you want.

singlestick

That's just a user configurable thing, it is in no way a legitimate complaint. Not certain, but they may have been under "More" for 4.X initially as well. Just go into the "edit" and move the icons where you want.
I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. I have an original iPad. Before iOS 5, there was simply an icon called iPod. When you opened it, various categories, Music, Podcasts, iTunes University, etc., displayed. Now, there is an icon called Music. You have to touch the More button in the lower right hand corner to display a podcast option, and then display audio podcasts.

Are you saying that there is a way to configure this to display items, at least audio podcasts, as before?

In any event, the current layout is too many steps. I listen to, or watch, podcasts and lectures more than I listen to music on my iPad. If other devices were or are set up under the Music icon with More as a subcategory, I would suggest that the layout is inelegant.

Code Monkey

You have to touch the More button in the lower right hand corner to display a podcast option, and then display audio podcasts.

Are you saying that there is a way to configure this to display items, at least audio podcasts, as before?.
The same options have always been there - it's possible that podcasts used to be one of the ones chosen by default, but I don't remember. At any rate, click the "More", there will now be an button for "Edit" in the upper left, click that, arrange to the four icons that get displayed how you want.

It is simply impossible to display all the categories the app handles (ten categories, 4 buttons) to suit anybody so it's always been configurable.

singlestick

The same options have always been there - it's possible that podcasts used to be one of the ones chosen by default, but I don't remember. At any rate, click the "More", there will now be an button for "Edit" in the upper left, click that, arrange to the four icons that get displayed how you want.

It is simply impossible to display all the categories the app handles (ten categories, 4 buttons) to suit anybody so it's always been configurable.
Not how it worked before in the iPad. Even the way it is described and depicted in the iPad User Guide has been revised. In the prior layout, you could see at a glance how many episodes of a podcast you had downloaded. Now, you must select an individual podcast to see the episode list. This may be more in line with how things worked on the Touch, but it is still clunky, and new to the iPad.

No Edit button, either.

But there may also be something odd going on. Video podcasts I downloaded from iTunes University display and play with no problem under the Video option. The first audio iTunes University lecture did not show at all, although there is now an ITunes University option under More. I downloaded three more lectures, all different subjects. Now, all four show, but none of them play.

musichound

However, I am able to view podcasts in portrait mode.
Please explain. You are stating you can view video podcasts in portrait mode? If so, are you using an ipod Touch with IOS 5 firmware?

Code Monkey

Not how it worked before in the iPad.
Please note: this thread, whether it should have been posted here or not, is in the Touch part of the forums, so if you were going to jump in with complaints specific to the iPad (I haven't updated our iPad yet), might want to have pointed that out.

@musichound: probably how they can watch video in portrait, it's not a touch (or maybe not, as I said, haven't had a chance to put iOS 5 on our iPad yet :))

Code Monkey

all of my artwork disappeared from my ipod. What do I do?
It wasn't all, but I had a number of tracks/albums that were missing their artwork after I updated. Just had to remove them and then put them back on. If all your artwork is gone, it's that much simpler of a process.

HeidiandHans

capacity

Capacity went from 59.15 to 58.04gb,,,lost 1.11gb of capacity after upgrading to ios5,,,, why would that happen

rbehrns

Thank you--I hadn't noticed the edit button and I did drag the podcast icon down to the bar at the bottom just like I wanted. Now if we could just solve the other problems as easily.

jtf1972

Any idea how long it may be before we have an update from apple? (perhaps it's taking so long because there are SO many problems...)

rhe6969

iOS5?

I am so frustrated with the dolts at Apple. iOS4 to iOS5!?!? Whatever you do don’ t be gullible enough to “upgrade” or screw yourself by trying to install the next version of Apple’s operating system …. ios5. It is full of bugs, errors and never-ending roads of endless confusion and frustration. Error (-19), (-48), (-30) etc.
Apple better than Microsoft??? It depends on which way the wind is blowing. Do what I do, wait until the next version of the OS. Or, at best, wait until you get, at least, the next service pack until you “upgrade”.
SJ are you rolling in your grave??? YOU SHOULD BE!

Code Monkey

SJ are you rolling in your grave??? YOU SHOULD BE!
Why would he be? He oversaw plenty of equally sloppy releases during his time as CEO. Apple has never been anywhere close to as polished, easy to use, or high quality as their PR and ad campaigns lead people to believe. Truth is that no operating system made for the masses is all that difficult, but neither are any of them free of errors, arcane fixes, or outright blow ups in the midst of making major changes. Learn the basics of Linux, you'll do fine with it. Learn the basics of Windows, you'll do fine with it. Learn the basics of OS X, you'll do fine with it. Learn the basics of iOS, you'll do fine with it. Learn the basics of Android, you'll do fine with it. They're just tools with little objective differences for their appointed purposes.

If you're particularly unhappy with iOS 5 compared to everything else Apple ever did, you just haven't been paying attention. It was probably a little bit more screwed up than usual, but only by a little bit.

jtf1972

If you're particularly unhappy with iOS 5 compared to everything else Apple ever did, you just haven't been paying attention. It was probably a little bit more screwed up than usual, but only by a little bit.
I think the flaws in iOS5 have been a bit more apparent than they have been previously. Of course, no OS is perfect, but iOS5 seems to have gotten wrong some of the things that were right before, and that is just frustrating & ridiculous.

Isn't an iPod primarily supposed to be a music player? Why did my iPod Touch 4g work fine as a music player with iOS4, but is unstable with the same large playlist it had prior to what they consider an "upgrade?" If this had been the case in the first place I would have just bought a Classic. They actually work. (As did the Touch with iOS4)