What do I need for my 3rd Gen iPod?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

swift

Hi guys,
I just bought a 40GB iPod off ebay and it only comes with the "Dock Connector to Firewire+USB" cable. No actual dock or anything else.

I have the older model(2nd gen I think) 20GB right now that connects directly to the firewire port on my comp and I was wondering how does the dock work? I understand the iPod actually sits in the dock, but do you then run another firewire to the PC and another AC one for it to charge or do you have to charge it seperately?

I guess my questions is, what is the least amount of things I have to buy (including the accessories I already have: ac adapter,firewire cable, dock connector to firewire cable) to get the new 40GB to sync and charge? Is there a way to connect a cable frpm the iPod directly to my PC?

Thanks a bunch for the help. I did some searches but this was kinda hard to find.

KB

Squibbles

40GB? Is it brand new? It should come with everything you need. It should include the dock as well, though the dock is not required as long as you have the cable. And as long as you already have a PCI card, you can probably use the iPod from Day One. You can either charge it through the FW Card or through the AC Adaptor.

swift

The 40Gb comes with only the "Dock Connector to Firewire+USB" cable but I do have my old AC adapter and firewire cable from my old iPod. I have a firewire card on my laptop and there's multiple ports on there. I can charge somehow through there, right?

KB

huxleyp

It should work, have you tried it out? Though as Squibbles said did you buy it new or second-hand because the 40gb comes with everything.

-huxleyp

swift

This is second hand and I dont actually have the iPod yet, I just want to buy whatever I need before it gets here so I can start using it right away. The seller only sold it with the above mentioned cable.

todx

i have a similiar question. i am getting a 20 gig 3rd generation soon. i have a USB 1 connection (not 2.0). do i need to get either usb 2.0 or a firewire port in order to upload songs? also, if i can use usb 1, will it be ALOT slower, like how much

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

BellnoPred

Yggdrasil/Nidheg CEO
todx,

You dont need to but I would get the firewire card and you will get faster tranfer speed than usb1(50 times faster). Usb 1 is way tooo slow and you can recharge the battery with either 1 or 2 so getting a firewire card is your best bet for music downloading and power.