What do I do if I forgot my iPod's passcode?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bionicbubble

This worked excellent for me,

Plug in your iPod

Go to "My Computer"

Open your iPod's drive (F for me)

Make sure you can see all hidden folders (If you aren't sure go to Tools, Folder Options, View Tab, and check Show)

Open the folder "iPod_Control"

Open the folder called "Device"

Rename the file "_locked" to "_unlocked"

Hope this helped
ok i tried this and i think it will work but when i looked in my computer the only itunes related thing was for the camera THATS ALL!!

Website
www.ilounge.com
Hi and welcome to iLounge.

Those instructions are actually for a traditional iPod model such as an iPod nano or iPod classic. They won't work with the iPod touch.

If you've forgotten the passcode for your iPod touch, the only simple way around it is to do a full "Restore" on your device from iTunes, which will erase everything on it. As long as you have a recent backup and all of your media content is in your iTunes library, this shouldn't be a problem as you can restore the backup and re-sync your content from your home computer.

Note that you can backup your iPod touch to your main iTunes library even if it's locked with a passcode, although you won't be able to do this on any computer other than the one you initially setup the iPod touch on and normally sync with. When restoring a backup onto your iPod touch, it won't be protected with a passcode, although you'll be prompted to set one immediately after you complete the restore.

bionicbubble

i found out that if you keep plugging ur ipod back into ur computer it will stop being disabled. if i did this for a while i would end up with the password. but i was wondering how long it would take or if it was worth it

Website
www.ilounge.com
Yes, you can plug your iPod back into your computer to reset the invalid password attempts, although you'll still need to figure out the password to actually unlock it. Unlike the older traditional iPod models, connecting to your iTunes library does not unlock the iPod touch -- it merely resets the invalid password counter so you can try again.

bionicbubble

Hi and welcome to iLounge.

Those instructions are actually for a traditional iPod model such as an iPod nano or iPod classic. They won't work with the iPod touch.

If you've forgotten the passcode for your iPod touch, the only simple way around it is to do a full "Restore" on your device from iTunes, which will erase everything on it. As long as you have a recent backup and all of your media content is in your iTunes library, this shouldn't be a problem as you can restore the backup and re-sync your content from your home computer.

Note that you can backup your iPod touch to your main iTunes library even if it's locked with a passcode, although you won't be able to do this on any computer other than the one you initially setup the iPod touch on and normally sync with. When restoring a backup onto your iPod touch, it won't be protected with a passcode, although you'll be prompted to set one immediately after you complete the restore.

but ive had this ipod for along time will it erase all my paid apps and memory like my highscores and such :confused:

bionicbubble

y cant itunes just make it easy and send you a link to reset ur password without erasing all ur memory

Website
www.ilounge.com
iTunes should normally make a backup of your iPod touch each time you sync with your computer. You can check which backups are stored and when the last one was made by going into your iTunes Preferences and selecting the Devices tab.

As long as you have a relatively recent backup and all of your apps and music/video content is stored in your iTunes library, you can just restore the backup and re-sync your apps and music/video content once the restore completes. In fact, iTunes should prompt you automatically to select a backup or setup your iPod as a new device once the full system restore has completed and the iPod has rebooted.

If your apps are not stored in iTunes, you can try to transfer them back by using the "Transfer Purchases" option found on the File menu in iTunes. This will transfer any purchased content including apps, music and videos from your iPod touch back to your iTunes library. Note that content you've downloaded from sources other than the iTunes Store will not be transferred back using this option, however.

bionicbubble

iTunes should normally make a backup of your iPod touch each time you sync with your computer. You can check which backups are stored and when the last one was made by going into your iTunes Preferences and selecting the Devices tab.

As long as you have a relatively recent backup and all of your apps and music/video content is stored in your iTunes library, you can just restore the backup and re-sync your apps and music/video content once the restore completes. In fact, iTunes should prompt you automatically to select a backup or setup your iPod as a new device once the full system restore has completed and the iPod has rebooted.

If your apps are not stored in iTunes, you can try to transfer them back by using the "Transfer Purchases" option found on the File menu in iTunes. This will transfer any purchased content including apps, music and videos from your iPod touch back to your iTunes library. Note that content you've downloaded from sources other than the iTunes Store will not be transferred back using this option, however.
ok but i have this app called "racing live" im a real high lvl iv spent lots of time on it will all my stats get deleted
:confused:

bionicbubble

one problem is that it isnt the iphone so when i plug it into my computer it doesnt automaticly unlock

Website
www.ilounge.com
If you have a backup of your iPod touch stored in iTunes, then all of your application settings, including high scores, will be restored as part of that backup. The app itself isn't part of the backup, but as long as the app is stored in iTunes, it will be reinstalled on your device (with all of the settings intact from the backup) after the restore process completes.

The short answer is that if you're using automatic sync with your iPod touch and have everything stored in your iTunes library, plus a current backup of your iPod touch stored in iTunes (again check the "Devices" tab in your iTunes Preferences), then following a restore your iPod touch should be exactly the way it was before you restored it, minus the passcode.

The iPhone doesn't automatically unlike either. All iOS devices are the same in this regard... Plugging it into your computer will reset the invalid password counter, so you don't have to wait 5, or 15, or 60 minutes to try another password, but it won't reset the password or unlock the device.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Begin by going to your iTunes preferences (Edit->Preferences->Devices) and making sure you have a current backup. If you do not have a current backup, this process will result in you losing everything on your iPod.

Also ensure that all of your apps, music videos and so forth are already stored in iTunes. These are not backed up separately as you would normally just sync them back on in the same way you originally did. If you do not have your content in iTunes, it will be lost when you restore your iPod touch. Having your application data restored doesn't do you any good unless you actually have the Apps themselves.

The "Restore" option will erase everything on your iPod touch, returning it to factory defaults like it was when you first took it out of the box (hence the need to have a current backup).

Once it reboots following the system restore, iTunes will ask you to either set it up as a new iPod touch or restore from a previous backup. If you choose to restore from a previous backup, iTunes will copy all of your settings and application data back onto your iPod touch from that backup.

After the restore of the backup completes, the iPod touch will reboot again and then begin syncing your applications and media content (movies, videos, etc) from iTunes onto your iPod touch.

The process may take anywhere from 10-15 minutes to an hour or more depending on how much you normally have stored on your iPod touch, since everything will need to be copied back onto your device from iTunes. Once the process completes, your iPod touch will be in the same state it was before, except that there won't be a password on it -- instead it will prompt you to set a new one.

bionicbubble

Begin by going to your iTunes preferences (Edit->Preferences->Devices) and making sure you have a current backup. If you do not have a current backup, this process will result in you losing everything on your iPod.

Also ensure that all of your apps, music videos and so forth are already stored in iTunes. These are not backed up separately as you would normally just sync them back on in the same way you originally did. If you do not have your content in iTunes, it will be lost when you restore your iPod touch. Having your application data restored doesn't do you any good unless you actually have the Apps themselves.

The "Restore" option will erase everything on your iPod touch, returning it to factory defaults like it was when you first took it out of the box (hence the need to have a current backup).

Once it reboots following the system restore, iTunes will ask you to either set it up as a new iPod touch or restore from a previous backup. If you choose to restore from a previous backup, iTunes will copy all of your settings and application data back onto your iPod touch from that backup.

After the restore of the backup completes, the iPod touch will reboot again and then begin syncing your applications and media content (movies, videos, etc) from iTunes onto your iPod touch.

The process may take anywhere from 10-15 minutes to an hour or more depending on how much you normally have stored on your iPod touch, since everything will need to be copied back onto your device from iTunes. Once the process completes, your iPod touch will be in the same state it was before, except that there won't be a password on it -- instead it will prompt you to set a new one.
thx dude ive made the decision to restore and i hope it works :D

Tazzy

I have tried to do a reset as suggested here but I don't have internet access at home and my computer has been formatted since I lasted synced my ipod touch.

Is there a way to remove the password without having my laptop connected to the internet?

I don't care about loseing everything as I have it on dvds anyway.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Unfortunately, no. Even if you have the firmware package on your computer already, iTunes needs to "phone home" to verify the signature during instalation.

Note that you can restore on just about any computer that has iTunes installed on it, so perhaps you can use a friend's computer or one at school or work.

Tazzy

ok thanks.

I will have to try and see if the library has itune on their computer.

just another question though what do you mean by the signature? when it phone's home?
a little confused there :)

Thanks for your help

ArtVandelay

The easiest way to avoid these problems in the future is the write the passcode on a piece of paper and put it somewhere. That way, in a worst case scenario, you always know where the piece of paper is and hence the passcode.

Unless of course you forget where you put it!

3xssweeterthanu

help with itouch please

how do i fix my itouch if its disabled and i already tried connecting it to itunes and it wont allow me to do so