• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

What Are The FACTS about video conversion for the ipod?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

raidersfann26

4G 40GB IPod Photo
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
282
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Merced, California
I converted half of my collection to mp4 with pspvideo 9 then was told that pspvideo9 video didnt work... so now im using videora... and engadget is saying that doesnt put it on your ipod... my settings are h264/320x240/768kbps Steres/128kbps... i like the h264 much better because the quality seems less choppier... however when i convert them the output file is always an mp4 file.. is this normal... also can someoen who has actually put videos on their ipod verify for me that videora will in fact work with videos from limewire or torrent sites?... thanks
 

filburt1

Scratchless 30 GB 5G
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
1,785
Points
0
Website
www.webdesignforums.net
Videora did not work for me either. So far, what has worked is 3GP_Converter which I believe uses MPEG-4.

Sorry, unlawful downloading of copyrighted material cannot be discussed here, only conversion of content you own, which in my case was my DVDs of Firefly and Family Guy.
 

mrogers

(2*b) || !(2*b);
Joined
Oct 21, 2003
Messages
305
Points
0
Website
3xmk.com
I used Videora, and it worked perfectly to convert to the correct format. Also, there's a TV/Video forum for this.
 

raidersfann26

4G 40GB IPod Photo
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
282
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Merced, California
mrogers said:
I used Videora, and it worked perfectly to convert to the correct format. Also, there's a TV/Video forum for this.
ARRGGG!!! see what i mean by the mixxed answers!!! i have 30+gigs of video im trying to convert but i dont want to waste all that time... so what settings did u use EXACTALLY to get videora to work?... mp4 is too choppy compared to h264... plz tell me what u did... at least the difference between what the 2 of u did
 

filburt1

Scratchless 30 GB 5G
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
1,785
Points
0
Website
www.webdesignforums.net
raidersfann26 said:
ARRGGG!!! see what i mean by the mixxed answers!!! i have 30+gigs of video im trying to convert but i dont want to waste all that time... so what settings did u use EXACTALLY to get videora to work?... mp4 is too choppy compared to h264... plz tell me what u did... at least the difference between what the 2 of u did
For Videora, I queued up a bunch of DivX-formatted Family Guy episodes originally at 640 x 480 and let it convert them all overnight to .mp4 files. iTunes recognizes and plays them, but it does not copy them to my iPod. I used the default settings, I believe.

For 3GP_Converter, I queued up a bunch of DivX-formatted Firefly episodes that were not in a 4:3 aspect ratio, so I edited some of its INI files to 320 x 176 instead of 320 x 240 and let it run overnight. iTunes recognizes and plays them, as does my iPod. I used the PSP format that does not dynamically rename the files.

Because the Family Guy episodes did not work, I have 3GP_Converter running in the background converting those right now. I expect it to work, especially given a customized 3GP_Converter configuration functioned, so the default should as well.
 

raidersfann26

4G 40GB IPod Photo
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
282
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Merced, California
filburt1 said:
For Videora, I queued up a bunch of DivX-formatted Family Guy episodes originally at 640 x 480 and let it convert them all overnight to .mp4 files. iTunes recognizes and plays them, but it does not copy them to my iPod. I used the default settings, I believe.

For 3GP_Converter, I queued up a bunch of DivX-formatted Firefly episodes that were not in a 4:3 aspect ratio, so I edited some of its INI files to 320 x 176 instead of 320 x 240 and let it run overnight. iTunes recognizes and plays them, as does my iPod. I used the PSP format that does not dynamically rename the files.

Because the Family Guy episodes did not work, I have 3GP_Converter running in the background converting those right now. I expect it to work, especially given a customized 3GP_Converter configuration functioned, so the default should as well.
what settings did u use with videora?... the h246? or sp?
 

filburt1

Scratchless 30 GB 5G
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
1,785
Points
0
Website
www.webdesignforums.net
H.264 I believe. I was not overly impressed by the tool given its user interface, such as text on buttons that would wrap and the inability to queue large groups of files simultaneously, only one by one. 3GP_Converter, on the other hand, was just a matter of dragging and dropping a bunch of files, specifying an output directory, and letting it process on its own.
 

raidersfann26

4G 40GB IPod Photo
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
282
Points
0
Age
36
Location
Merced, California
filburt1 said:
H.264 I believe. I was not overly impressed by the tool given its user interface, such as text on buttons that would wrap and the inability to queue large groups of files simultaneously, only one by one. 3GP_Converter, on the other hand, was just a matter of dragging and dropping a bunch of files, specifying an output directory, and letting it process on its own.
Ya i agree... but videora is the only one that i know of that does h.246
 

filburt1

Scratchless 30 GB 5G
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
1,785
Points
0
Website
www.webdesignforums.net
H.264 and MPEG-4 resulted in the same file size, and on such a small screen, I wouldn't want to go through so much effort just for H.264. The Firefly episode I watched had a smooth framerate with a high level detail and amazingly good sound. I just wish the color saturation was higher, but I don't think any codec will help with that but the video decoder hardware instead.
 

j0shb3ck3r

New member
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
27
Points
0
Age
35
Location
Burt
I used possibly the longest process ever.

I used Mac The Ripper to rip my Dashboard Confessional Unplugged DVD...

Handbrake to convert it to one giant MPEG-4.

Clip Creator 2 to cut it into individual videos (by song).

Quicktime to convert each song video into H.264

I get my iPod tomorrow, but since they all work in iTunes and were encoded with QuickTime, I'm assuming they will work.
 
Top