What Am I Doing Wrong?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

anthraxx

Website
home.nyc.rr.com
I uploaded a few albums to my 5gig winipod and everything was cool. Then I was playing with a couple of Smartlists. I set up two of them. One as a random Hip Hop smarlist with a 1GB limit and one as a random Rock/Metal smartlist with a 1Gb limit. I went to sync those two smartlists with the pod and of course there are a few songs that are already on one or two of the ablums I previously uploaded. I tried "overwrite existing files" and those songs don't show up. So I try it again and the next time that happens I just click OK and those songs don't show up again. Weird. They are gone from the albums too. How about them apples?

So can I not have an album with the same song(s) as a smartlist? Or am I just totally screwing this up?

Besides that Media Center 9 has been a dream. I'm using it as the music management software for my living room jukebox and to send albums to my winipod. I love the all-in-one-ness. :)

Last edited:

ashawley

Website
www.
Hey Zeke,

Not sure what's happening here, but let me make a suggestion. I've always found it easier to manage the tunes on my iPod through Smartlists and using Synchronization rather than the "Upload" or "Sent to" features. There are a number of reasons, but it just makes things smoother and the Sync functions are a little more "iPod specific".

Here's what I'd recommend you do:

1. Make a smartlist that has all the artists you want on your iPod. You can use any rules you want in the smartlist, what I typically do is create an Artist rule using the wizard and exclude artists I don't want on the Smartlist (so by defalt everything else will be on there). You can also add Album rules, in case you want to exclude some albums that an Artist does, but you want other Albums they do. Keep adding artists/albums/tunes etc, to this playlist until you reach your iPod's capacity. It will tel you in the lower right corner how big the smartlist is.

2. For all your other smartlists that you want as playlists on the iPod, start them with the "Playlist=iPod Tunes" (or whatever you named the smartlist in step #1). There's a wizard for this under Add Rule, so you can just select the playlist by ticking off a checkbox.

Then, do a sync w/all the Smartlists you've made. Since all your smartlists except for the first one are sub-sets of the first one, you'll not need to worry about space issues etc.

Hope that helps.

Adam

anthraxx

Website
home.nyc.rr.com
At first I read your reply and thought "Too much work. I'll stick with just albums." But then I gave it a try. Excellent! I did it slightly different. I made an "iPod Albums" smartlist and filtered just the artists and albums I wanted. Then I synced the iPod with that smartlist and the previous two random ones I made (after formatting my pod of course). Worked perfectly! Now I have the few entire albums I'm currently jamming to and a couple of random playlists for when I'm bored. Thanks a million!

Like I said MC9 is "Da Bomb"!